bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

6 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I know little to nothing about how medical professionals picks and chooses who gets the experimental drug and who gets the placebo. I feel sorry for the patients who got the placebo and didn't make it. When patients are given a placebo are they monitored for a certain amount of time and then given the experimental drug?   

It’s a grim arithmetic to move the ball forward in the science of new drugs, but a true control group is vital for measuring the effect of a new drug. With Remdivisir a few months back they saw immediate benefit so they gave it to the placebo group, but I don’t think that’s usual. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It’s a grim arithmetic to move the ball forward in the science of new drugs, but a true control group is vital for measuring the effect of a new drug. With Remdivisir a few months back they saw immediate benefit so they gave it to the placebo group, but I don’t think that’s usual. 

It's not, and to be fair in some trials it would be preferable to be in the placebo group because they find that the drug does more harm than good.

10 hours ago, Los_Aztecas said:

It's not, and to be fair in some trials it would be preferable to be in the placebo group because they find that the drug does more harm than good.

Those that get the bad side effects likely say what the hell was I thinking volunteering to be a guinea pig, 

20 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Just watch the trump only presser...........think he's gotten a bit of the message that it is himself that is tanking is poll numbers............he still was a bit racist, still deflected & lied some.........but he didn't stick around to spar with the press & call them fake & enemies of the people ..........pretty much, go to the podium.........read the script as written, got in the usual fabrications, deflections & lies...........took a few questions where the press stayed on the virus concerns & he bailed out - Thinking the change from parscale to whoever it is now told him to to turn it into a trump vs the world battle where he claims to be the victim.

Might be too late to save his lousy numbers but it was a noticeable change in demeanor 

Well he still managed to wish a sex trafficker well, so there's that. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Blue voodoo said:

Did you read some of the comments at the bottom of the page? JFC.

Masks don't work but somehow virtually the entire civilized world is doing better than us with less restrictions...

29 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

Did you read some of the comments at the bottom of the page? JFC.

Masks don't work but somehow virtually the entire civilized world is doing better than us with less restrictions...

It’s because of testing obviously /sarcasm/

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

Cheer the increased deaths while you can, deaths lag, but cases and hospitalizations are past their peak in the sunbelt and deaths will quickly race toward zero in the coming weeks. After that what area of the country will have not been affected? We are very, very close to herd immunity, which is seeming to occur at about 500 deaths/million

I'm not cheering anything, you +++++wit. I'm saying that some of you shouldn't have decided to shit all over what looked pretty obviously to be a correlation of deaths to the infection spike. Instead, you morons continued to spike the football, refuse to wear masks, and acted like this wasn't a big deal. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Notice that New York infections and deaths are way down. Is it possible they have achieved herd immunity?

In some neighborhoods they very well might have.

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/a-look-at-the-reinfection-rate/

Last night, Mississippi governor Tate Reeves offered a clear and succinct series of tweets, laying out why he’s not putting too much hope in “herd immunity” taking effect in his state. He noted that just to reach the threshold of 40 percent infected, the number of infected in his state would have to increase from the roughly 37,000 known infections to about 1.2 million. Are there asymptomatic people walking around Mississippi, unaware they have the virus? Sure. Are there 100,000? Half a million? A million?

Reeves summarizes, “on our worst day of new cases, we had just over 1,000. It has typically been between 700-900 during this most aggressive time. To get to 40% infections, we’d need 3,187 new cases every day for a full year from today. We would need to TRIPLE our worst day — every day — for a year.”

With that said, it is reasonable to believe that certain neighborhoods and communities that were particularly hard hit in the early stages of this pandemic might have reached herd immunity, or something close to it. A of couple days ago, the New York Times reported, “At a clinic in Corona, a working-class neighborhood in Queens, more than 68 percent of people tested positive for antibodies to the new coronavirus. At another clinic in Jackson Heights, Queens, that number was 56 percent. But at a clinic in Cobble Hill, a mostly white and wealthy neighborhood in Brooklyn, only 13 percent of people tested positive for antibodies.” The article cautiously notes that the people who come into the clinic to be tested may not be representative of the neighborhoods as a whole.

New York political leaders are particularly pleased with the declining number of deaths and new cases these days. Yes, this is what happens when the virus has burned through an area so thoroughly — the virus finds fewer and fewer people who don’t have the antibodies.

There are very few places in this country that (a) were not hit hard in the first wave, (b) are not getting hit hard now, and (c) are not relatively remote and sparsely populated.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Face shields are far more effective than masks and allow easier breathing. Why aren’t face shields being recommended? 

25 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I use both at work.

I have heard of both private businesses and county health departments (one which told my school district) have said no to face shields as an appropriate alternative.  I don't know why that is, but perhaps because spray can still escape from the bottom?  :shrug:

I don't have an informed opinion, so I am not suggesting a right or wrong here

ETA: edit to clarify private as private businesses