bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

you knew it would be Florida. They crushed the single day United States daily virus cases.

Thats off of 140,000 tests. On New York’s worst day they confirmed 12,000 new cases off of only 20,000 tests. We can only wonder how bad it really would have looked if New York had the resources to test like that.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I think there is a lot of that, and it could be the most significant driver. I think there is a good helping of denial, too. But a whole lot of carelessness.

In Central Oregon, where I live, we have been getting inundated with travelers. Bumper to bumper traffic heading into town every weekend and the occupancy rates of many of our hotels and resorts are actually up from last year, with many running at 99% since the end of May. And until the governor mandated wearing masks, you’d rarely see one being worn in public unless it was a place like Costco that had a mask policy in place. Here, it’s not really a political thing, though like everywhere there is some of that. Just people fleeing to the supposed open spaces of Central Oregon and not putting any thought to it (because apparently you can’t catch Covid or infect others on vacation). Come to Bend on a Saturday this summer and you’d think nothing was happening at all.

Weirdly, our numbers have remained relatively low, albeit beginning to move up significantly. I have to assume that actually encourages travel. But our hospital is close to capacity because of visitors getting sick while here, and those don’t count in our county tally, apparently.

Weird. It isn't like that in central Washington. It somewhat describes Missoula but even there people were wearing masks in Red Robin and at the gas station. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Weird. It isn't like that in central Washington. It somewhat describes Missoula but even there people were wearing masks in Red Robin and at the gas station. 

It's really hard for me to explain. I went into a Safeway -- one of the busiest Safeways in the country — just before Gov. Brown mandated masks. It was typically slammed. And I would say at most 10 to 15 percent were wearing masks. 

Just now, NVGiant said:

It's really hard for me to explain. I went into a Safeway -- one of the busiest Safeways in the country — just before Gov. Brown mandated masks. It was typically slammed. And I would say at most 10 to 15 percent were wearing masks. 

Oh. well yeah safeway had been like that here too. We called it "the land of always March". Everywhere in the valley had better mask rates than safeway.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Thats off of 140,000 tests. On New York’s worst day they confirmed 12,000 new cases off of only 20,000 tests. We can only wonder how bad it really would have looked if New York had the resources to test like that.

Or how bad it may scale in Florida once they reach similar prevalence rates.

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

50 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Oh. well yeah safeway had been like that here too. We called it "the land of always March". Everywhere in the valley had better mask rates than safeway.

That is the most extreme example for sure, but few masks has been prevalent in most places in my experience.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

why do you think people are going to get tested? 90% of people aren't simply going to be tested for fun or because its something to do. 

"Hey, lets skip the beach today and go wait in line for 4 hours. Its making my nipples hard just thinking about it." 

They are being tested because have symptoms and don't feel well or have suspected they were exposed.  It would be nice if we did mass testing like some countries, but instead we are pulling back on testing.

Simply look at the % of positive test results.

4 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I think there is a lot of that, and it could be the most significant driver. I think there is a good helping of denial, too. But a whole lot of carelessness.

In Central Oregon, where I live, we have been getting inundated with travelers. Bumper to bumper traffic heading into town every weekend and the occupancy rates of many of our hotels and resorts are actually up from last year, with many running at 99% since the end of May. And until the governor mandated wearing masks, you’d rarely see one being worn in public unless it was a place like Costco that had a mask policy in place. Here, it’s not really a political thing, though like everywhere there is some of that. Just people fleeing to the supposed open spaces of Central Oregon and not putting any thought to it (because apparently you can’t catch Covid or infect others on vacation). Come to Bend on a Saturday this summer and you’d think nothing was happening at all.

Weirdly, our numbers have remained relatively low, albeit beginning to move up significantly. I have to assume that actually encourages travel. But our hospital is close to capacity because of visitors getting sick while here, and those don’t count in our county tally, apparently.

Read up on Corpus Christi/Nueces County. They had low numbers.

Then people in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. started thinking Corpus Christi is a safe area to visit the beach.

Now Corpus Christi has had a surge with hospital's filling. Texas has sent extra hospital staff and supplies. The Corpus Christi mayor (a Republican) is now saying "“I never thought in my wildest dreams that I’d be telling tourists, ‘Don’t come to our beaches,’”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/11/us/coronavirus-texas-corpus-christi.html

https://www.ccbiznews.com/news/state-responds-quickly-to-corpus-christi-covid-surge

49 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Read up on Corpus Christi/Nueces County. They had low numbers.

Then people in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. started thinking Corpus Christi is a safe area to visit the beach.

Now Corpus Christi has had a surge with hospital's filling. Texas has sent extra hospital staff and supplies. The Corpus Christi mayor (a Republican) is now saying "“I never thought in my wildest dreams that I’d be telling tourists, ‘Don’t come to our beaches,’”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/11/us/coronavirus-texas-corpus-christi.html

https://www.ccbiznews.com/news/state-responds-quickly-to-corpus-christi-covid-surge

This is a glimpse into Bend’s future, unfortunately. And it’s going to happen right when schools are about to start.

47 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

why do you think people are going to get tested? 90% of people aren't simply going to be tested for fun or because its something to do. 

"Hey, lets skip the beach today and go wait in line for 4 hours. Its making my nipples hard just thinking about it." 

They are being tested because have symptoms and don't feel well or have suspected they were exposed.  It would be nice if we did mass testing like some countries, but instead we are pulling back on testing.

Simply look at the % of positive test results.

All I’m saying is we didn’t have the resources for tests 3 months ago that we do now. Had New York been able to test as much as Florida now I doubt they’d have kept a 60% positivity rate like they had, and I don’t believe for a second that their peak new number of new cases would’ve been anywhere close to only 12,000.  It has to have been much higher.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

All I’m saying is we didn’t have the resources for tests 3 months ago that we do now. Had New York been able to test as much as Florida now I doubt they’d have kept a 60% positivity rate like they had, and I don’t believe for a second that their peak new number of new cases would’ve been anywhere close to only 12,000.  It has to have been much higher.

fair enough

California Governor Gavin Newsom just rolled back the state reopening.

In all counties, he ordered a closure of bars, movie theaters, indoor services such as dining and wine tasting, etc.

Then for 30 counties currently experiencing large outbreaks, he also has ordered the closure of churches, gyms, hair and nail salons and barber shops, and indoor malls.

The 30 counties with larger closures are: Colusa, Contra Costa, Fresno, Glenn, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, Madera, Marin, Merced, Monterey, Napa, Orange, Placer, Riverside, Sacramento, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Joaquin, Santa Barbara, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tulare, Yolo, Yuba, and Ventura.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-13/newsom-california-county-rollback-reopening-coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

I wonder if Newsom's winery will still be able to remain open as it has been.

Plumpjack (Newsom's) is in Napa County. Napa county wineries were open when his was open. It was the wineries in 19 other counties such as Fresno County that were closed previously when some made a political issue of that. 

He is now closing down all indoor wine tasting in the state including Napa County. Some wineries will be doing outdoor tasting though.