bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

These states are putting an economic stranglehold on their citizens.  What is it they all have in common? 

The unemployment rate is highest in these 10 states, according to Department of Labor data released at the end of June:

1. Nevada: 25.3 percent 
  2. Hawaii: 22.6 percent 
  3. Michigan: 21.2 percent 
  4. Rhode Island: 16.3 percent 
  5. Massachusetts: 16.3 percent 
  6. California: 16.3 percent 
  7. Delaware: 15.8 percent 
  8. New Jersey: 15.2 percent 
  9. Illinois: 15.2 percent
  10. Washington: 15.1 percent
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

If that is the standard, then nobody should be believed. Everybody's been wrong in some aspect from the beginning.We were lied to by the experts about the efficacy of masks. We were even told it makes it worse.

Yep. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

If that is the standard, then nobody should be believed. Everybody's been wrong in some aspect from the beginning.We were lied to by the experts about the efficacy of masks. We were even told it makes it worse.

Dude, I'm beginning to think the issue is where you've been getting your information from. :unsure:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

10 minutes ago, pokerider said:

These states are putting an economic stranglehold on their citizens.  What is it they all have in common? 

The unemployment rate is highest in these 10 states, according to Department of Labor data released at the end of June:

1. Nevada: 25.3 percent  Tourism
  2. Hawaii: 22.6 percent    Tourism
  3. Michigan: 21.2 percent  Close quarter factories
  4. Rhode Island: 16.3 percent  High density cities
  5. Massachusetts: 16.3 percent   High density cities
  6. California: 16.3 percent  Tourism and high density cities
  7. Delaware: 15.8 percent  Stuck between dense Jersey and D.C.
  8. New Jersey: 15.2 percent  High density cities, highly infected
  9. Illinois: 15.2 percent   Dense Chicago
  10. Washington: 15.1 percent   Dense west side

I wonder what the difference is between other major cities like Miami, Houston, Dallas, NOLA, Phoenix, and the ones you have posted?  Perhaps slow moving governors kept things open and now those are once again high-infected areas.  So their unemployment and infected are both going to be rising.

Perhaps those ones you posted are going to be the first ones actually back and with lower mortality rates?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Dude, I'm beginning to think the issue is where you've been getting your information from. :unsure:

The US Surgeon General?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/americans-dont-need-masks-pence-says-as-demand-increases-2020-2%3famp

US officials including Surgeon General Jerome Adams and Vice President Mike Pence have urged people against buying and wearing masks to protect themselves from the new coronavirus.

In an interview on Fox News' "Fox & Friends" on Monday, Adams said wearing face masks could actually increase a person's risk of contracting the coronavirus.

"You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a health care provider," Adams said. "Folks who don't know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus," he added.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Nothing like waiting until the horse is out of the barn.  The MF should be excoriated and run off the network. 

I say better late than never. He has blood on his hands IMO for minimizing the threat, but I welcome the belated efforts to bring the nuthuggers into the mask-wearing fold. We can still flatten the curve and return to some resemblance of normalcy iff everyone does their part to break transmission vectors. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The US Surgeon General?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/americans-dont-need-masks-pence-says-as-demand-increases-2020-2%3famp

US officials including Surgeon General Jerome Adams and Vice President Mike Pence have urged people against buying and wearing masks to protect themselves from the new coronavirus.

In an interview on Fox News' "Fox & Friends" on Monday, Adams said wearing face masks could actually increase a person's risk of contracting the coronavirus.

"You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a health care provider," Adams said. "Folks who don't know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus," he added.

Fair enough, but that's an issue easily corrected with better habits (read: user error), not an indictment of the 'goodness' or lack thereof inherent to the use of masks themselves.

It's analogous to saying defecating in a toilet spreads more germs if you never flush or wash your hands afterwards. Or something like that. Long week so my analogy game is off, but you get the point.

It took very little awareness training to *not* touch my face while out and about wearing a mask, and just a little bit of thought to develop a process to mitigate the risk. :shrug:

42 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Fair enough, but that's an issue easily corrected with better habits (read: user error), not an indictment of the 'goodness' or lack thereof inherent to the use of masks themselves.

It's analogous to saying defecating in a toilet spreads more germs if you never flush or wash your hands afterwards. Or something like that. Long week so my analogy game is off, but you get the point.

It took very little awareness training to *not* touch my face while out and about wearing a mask, and just a little bit of thought to develop a process to mitigate the risk. :shrug:

I’m not attacking you, I’ve been on the mask bandwagon from the outset. Hell when I was grappling with this at the outset, I was thinking full command economy and how to get them into the hands of power plant and water workers after the medical professionals had what they needed. Somewhere in this leviathan of a thread I said they were being dishonest about masks for the reason they recently admitted, to prevent shortages.

My point is the professionals have been disingenuous on all facets of this outbreak. From when the rules for physical distancing and gathering in large groups apply to the efficacy of masks or hydroxychloroquine, people who should know better said things that they didn’t know to be true or worse, were outright lies. Their credibility deserves to take a hit.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

Several loopholes in the order.  The counties with 20 cases is obvious -placate rural voters.  Also, religious services are exempt - lots of evangelicals.  

Interesting...just got an email from the Bishop of Fort Worth.  Basically it said, without saying it- "Nah...we're good.  We're keeping our masks on."

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

33 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I’m not attacking you, I’ve been on the mask bandwagon from the outset. Hell when I was grappling with this at the outset, I was thinking full command economy and how to get them into the hands of power plant and water workers after the medical professionals had what they needed. Somewhere in this leviathan of a thread I said they were being dishonest about masks for the reason they recently admitted, to prevent shortages.

My point is the professionals have been disingenuous on all facets of this outbreak. From when the rules for physical distancing and gathering in large groups to the efficacy of masks or hydroxychloroquine, people who should know better said things that they didn’t know to be true or worse, were outright lies. Their credibility deserves to take a hit.

Oh, I get (all of) that, and said as much myself (re: the reason behind sandbagging the stated utility and benefit of wearing masks).

Hence my belief that armed with a reasonable degree of intelligence and the intellectual honesty of an "open cup," we are all perfectly capable of making well-informed decisions and that its perfectly okay to cerebrally question direction if one's simply looking to buy in to said instruction. There's always source material to find, and there's always the time to find it provided one desires the knowledge.

That's why my wife and I have been wearing masks in stores (and advising the same) since early March. That's also how I knew we were heading down Pandemic Alley back in Jan, if you'll recall.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Oh, I get (all of) that, and said as much myself (re: the reason behind sandbagging the stated utility and benefit of wearing masks).

Hence my belief that armed with a reasonable degree of intelligence and the intellectual honesty of an "open cup," we are all perfectly capable of making well-informed decisions and that its perfectly okay to cerebrally question direction if one's simply looking to buy in to said instruction. There's always source material to find, and there's always the time to find it provided one desires the knowledge.

That's why my wife and I have been wearing masks in stores (and advising the same) since early March. That's also how I knew we were heading down Pandemic Alley back in Jan, if you'll recall.

Are you still being the mask enforcer in San Diego County? Tell me how you do that and still maintain distancing. Do you have a long club to wack people with? Or pelt them with water balloons? 

• Haha 1

Texas Gov Abbott this week about his mask order in the state:

“If we do not contain this measure right now, we will lose the last, best chance to slow the coronavirus for anything short of having to shut our economy back down,” Gov. Abbott said in an interview with KTAB. “That’s the last thing we want to have happen in Texas.”

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/abbott-this-is-the-last-best-chance-to-contain-covid-19-before-shutting-down-again/

10 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Are you still being the mask enforcer in San Diego County? Tell me how you do that and still maintain distancing. Do you have a long club to wack people with? Or pelt them with water balloons? 

Hmmm... given the spirit of the holiday weekend and my unusually good nature today, I'll answer as if you weren't being a complete c*nt.

Three times in as many weeks I've had a anti-masker encounter - twice in small, family (of nuthuggers)-owned pool supply store from which I've been purchasing my pool chemicals for the last 15 years, and once in a Von's.

In the instance of the former, after two instances - a maskless customer in their store, and then their Idiot Son - I have made the decision to shop elsewhere. Not because of politics - as I said, I've been paying them above-market for chlorine and muriatic acid for many moons (I do it to support small business and because IMO they have superior chlorine) - but because I am not going to increase my risk of exposure due to their politics.

In the second instance, I was standing in line waiting to check out in Von's - who has a strict *must wear* mask policy - when I heard some guy in the adjacent line say, "Hey - are you in line? Oh, okay [cough, cough]." It was the coughing that had me look. When I looked over, no mask. I, on the other hand, between my #CovidClothes, mirror blackout goggles, lid, and triple-layer mask look like Deadpool's poorer cousin, Deadbroke.

There was no way he could see I was casting sideways eye, so I displayed my disapproval with multiple emphatic shakes of the head. I kept staring, he looked away. Maybe in hindsight I was trying to bait the guy to say something, but in the absence of his provocation I wasn't going to accost him - but damn if I'm not going to ask the manager (working my lane) if it's acceptable when I check out. Which I did. She gave me an emphatic "NO" in response and asked if I had seen a customer without one. I pointed him out, and she called the cashier over, then called him. In classic He-Karen form, he gave her some lip before walking out.

As he was passing by on the other side of the counter, he gestures towards me and says, "it was HIM, huh?"

To which I got a little salty and said, "YEAH it was me, +++++er. How about you stick around for a minute outside and we'll talk about it?" And as he continued walking  away I called after him, "Get with the program, asshole!" And guess what? The manager thanked me - twice - for "standing up to him." 

I didn't know what to expect leaving the store. I had a 6-pack of cans in my left hand, a 6-pack of bottles in my right.  On the way to the door I was trying to decide whether I should break the entire f*cking 6-pack upside his MAGA b¡tch dome, or drop the 6-pack and just swing one bottle if he was waiting to blindside me as I left the store. #Decisions

But nope - he was f*cking ghost. And I wasn't surprised. In my experience, the loudest tend to be the biggest pusses when push comes to shove.

Other than that, on my next trip to Von's to buy 4th of July steaks I had to ask two gentlemen to please maintain 'social distance' of 6 feet. I had patiently waited for the two women in front of me to make their selections in turn and depart before I made my selection. But when I walked up there, these two guys mobbed up almost immediately. But when I asked - respectfully - they both acknowledged and complied without issue. And in all fairness, I've been on the other side of that equation, where I've accidentally crowded on someone and have had to be reminded - these are big-little changes we are all trying to make.

But at this point in time - at least here where it's been an enforceable county mandate for months - the only reason some MAGA dipshit is going to refuse to wear a mask in an establishment that has similarly been requiring it for as long is to be a b¡tch MAGAt f*cking troll, and no, I do not have an infinite well of patience for those c*nts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Hmmm... given the spirit of the holiday weekend and my unusually good nature today,

Cool love the positive attit.....

I'll answer as if you weren't being a complete c*nt.

Three times in as many weeks I've had a anti-masker encounter - twice in small, family (of nuthuggers)-owned pool supply store from which I've been purchasing my pool chemicals for the last 15 years, and once in a Von's.

In the instance of the former, after two instances - a maskless customer in their store, and then their Idiot Son - I have made the decision to shop elsewhere. Not because of politics - as I said, I've been paying them above-market for chlorine and muriatic acid for many moons (I do it to support small business and because they have (IMO) superior chlorine) - but because I am not going to increase my risk of exposure due to their politics.

In the second instance, I was standing in line waiting to check out in Von's - who has a strict *must wear* mask policy - when I heard some guy in the adjacent line say, "Hey - are you in line? Oh, okay [cough, cough]." It was the coughing that had me look. When I looked over, no mask. I, on the other hand, between my #CovidClothes, mirror blackout goggles, lid, and triple-layer mask look like Deadpool's poorer cousin, Deadbroke.

There was no way he could see I was casting sideways eye, so I displayed my disapproval with multiple emphatic shakes of the head. I kept staring, he looked away. No point in accosting the guy - but damn if I'm not going to ask the manager (working my lane) if it's acceptable when I check out. Which I did. She gave me an emphatic "NO" in response and asked if I had seen a customer without one. I pointed him out, and she called the cashier over, then called him. In classic He-Karen form, he gave her some lip before walking out.

As he was passing by on the other side of the counter, he gestures towards me and says, "it was HIM, huh?"

To which I got a little salty and said, "YEAH it was me, +++++er. How about you stick around for a minute outside and we'll talk about it?" And as he continued walking  away I called after him, "Get with the program, asshole!" And guess what? The manager thanked me - twice - for "standing up to him." 

I didn't know what to expect leaving the store. I had a 6-pack of cans in my left hand, a 6-pack of bottles in my right.  On the way to the door I was trying to decide whether I should break the entire f*cking 6-pack upside his MAGA b¡tch dome, or drop the 6-pack and just swing one bottle if he was waiting to blindside me as I left the store. #Decisions

But nope - he was f*cking ghost. And I wasn't surprised. In my experience, the loudest tend to be the biggest pusses when push comes to shove.

Other than that, on my next trip to Von's to buy 4th of July steaks I had to ask two gentlemen to please maintain 'social distance' of 6 feet. I had patiently waited for the two women in front of me to make their selections in turn and depart before I made my selection. But when I walked up there, these two guys mobbed up almost immediately. But when I asked - respectfully - they both acknowledged and complied without issue. And in all fairness, I've been on the other side of that equation, where I've accidentally crowded on someone and have had to be reminded - these are big-little changes we are all trying to make.

But at this point in time - at least here where it's been an enforceable county mandate for months - the only reason some MAGA dipshit is going to refuse to wear a mask in an establishment that has similarly been requiring it for as long is to be a b¡tch MAGAt f*cking troll, and no, I do not have an infinite well of patience for those c*nts.

tenor.gif?itemid=12125132

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

The trends continue to go in the opposite direction. 7-day moving average of daily new deaths down to 564, from 2,255 - a 75% reduction. Strange that the media doesn't talk about it.

Screenshot_20200703-075203.png

Screenshot_20200703-075025.png

Sounds like you watch the wrong media.

4 hours ago, RSF said:

Its the hospitalization trend that got Abbott to reverse course.  And the trend for deaths here in Texas isnt really going down.  Its like election polls - national numbers dont tell the story.

This Tweet's pic graphs Texas hospitalizations the last few months. Stable in April/May. But then a steep increase starting about 4 or 5 weeks after reopening in May.

22 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Hmmm... given the spirit of the holiday weekend and my unusually good nature today, I'll answer as if you weren't being a complete c*nt.

In the instance of the former, after two instances - a maskless customer in their store, and then their Idiot Son - I have made the decision to shop elsewhere. Not because of politics - as I said, I've been paying them above-market for chlorine and muriatic acid for many moons (I do it to support small business and because they have (IMO) superior chlorine) - but because I am not going to increase my risk of exposure due to their politics.

There was no way he could see I was casting sideways eye, so I displayed my disapproval with multiple emphatic shakes of the head. I kept staring, he looked away. Maybe in hindsight I was trying to bait the guy to say something, but in the absence of his provocation I wasn't going to accost him - but damn if I'm not going to ask the manager (working my lane) if it's acceptable when I check out. Which I did. She gave me an emphatic "NO" in response and asked if I had seen a customer without one. I pointed him out, and she called the cashier over, then called him. In classic He-Karen form, he gave her some lip before walking out.

+++++ing awesome!!

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

40 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

This Tweet's pic graphs Texas hospitalizations the last few months. Stable in April/May. But then a steep increase starting about 4 or 5 weeks after reopening in May.

I wonder what happened in weeks 4 and 5 that differed from 1, 2, and 3. :whistle:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests_in_Texas

55 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You sound like a real badass data scientist.  😂 

v0icAvfW.jpg