bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Anyone on here think people are going to return to sheltering again? Not going to happen. It’s going to be herd immunity or bust. 

I doubt we will see widespread shutdowns and sheltering again.

My guess is that we will see smaller closures of individual cities/counties when hot spots occur. That is how the old polio outbreaks were handled.

For example, in 1952 the University of North Carolina had a small polio outbreak on campus. The school cancelled on-campus events including home football games against NC State and Georgia, and requested students to stay sheltered on campus.

In 1946, San Antonio Texas closed its schools during a polio outbreak.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/61/11/72/12885685/7/940x0.jpg

Wythe County VA was a polio hot spot in 1950. Churches, stores, schools and theaters were closed in the county. This sign was posted at the border of Wythe County during the 1950 polio outbreak to warn travelers. Supposedly some people kept their car windows rolled up while passing thru the county to protect themselves.

Polio-Wytheville.jpg

• Like 1

There are also these bars in Jacksonville Beach, FL.

More positive cases of the coronavirus reported in Jacksonville Beach have prompted additional businesses to voluntarily close for cleaning.

About a dozen bars and restaurants have temporarily shut down to do deep cleans after many customers and employees in the area tested positive for COVID-19.

One doctor, whose offices are handling a majority of the rapid tests for restaurant staff and patrons, said he’s connected at least 50 positive cases in the last three days to people who were at beach-area bars and restaurants.

Doctor Saman Soleymani, CEO of Avecina Medical, said his three clinics are the busiest they’ve ever been.

“The beaches crowd really started coming in since Friday,” he told News4Jax.

Soleymani estimates there’s a 30% positivity rate within this group. Many patients, in their 20s and 30s, are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, he noted.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/06/17/jacksonville-doctor-50-cases-of-covid-19-linked-to-beaches-crowd/

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Bob said:

they won't. If they do it'll be really, really old sick people whose time it is to pass on. Just like most people that have died from this virus.

Bob, you know I love you, you hard headed dick.  COVID-19 removes on average 10 years of life from those who die from it.  10 years is a long time.

46 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The graph would be more relevant if it showed the number of daily tests being conducted in the US versus the EU. 

look it up,

its nearly identical 25 million for the US and 25 million for the 27 countries of the EU

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109066/coronavirus-testing-in-europe-by-country/

and our positivity rate is higher 

13 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How is that determined? 

We know the average age of when people are supposed to die with frightening accuracy. (Actuarial Science -- for a group of people anyway)

So they can plug in the data of those people who die of COVID and project when they would have died otherwise.

A sheriff from Arizona who in April said he would refuse to continue enforcing the state’s coronavirus lockdown order has tested positive for the contagion during a visit to the White House.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

With the increase in coronavirus cases multiple areas of the country are now making mask wearing mandatory. Many are issuing orders yesterday and today.

Other areas are also considering issuing mask wearing orders.

Mandatory mask wearing orders that I can see have so far been issued this week for (I'm sure there are others):

Alabama - city of Montgomery

Arizona - cities of Tucson, Flagstaff, Tolleson, Mesa, and Tempe (other cities expected to also announce in the next few days)

Arkansas - Fayetteville

California - The entire state

Florida - Orange County (Orlando), Monroe County (Florida Keys), city of Tampa

North Carolina - city of Raleigh, city of Boone

Oregon - Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington, Marion, Polk, Hood River and Lincoln counties

Tennessee - city of Memphis

Texas - Bexar County (San Antonio), Hays County (San Marcos), Hidalgo County (McAllen/Edinburg), the city of Austin (other areas are expected to announce in the next few days)

28 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Costs to health insurance companies for tests and doctor visits (without hospitalization) keep going up along with the rise in new cases.

I think we will be hearing about premium increases if the number of new cases is not controlled.

I wonder if they are saving money on long term care insurance. Morbid I know.

50 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

With the increase in coronavirus cases multiple areas of the country are now making mask wearing mandatory. Many are issuing orders yesterday and today.

Other areas are also considering issuing mask wearing orders.

Mandatory mask wearing orders that I can see have so far been issued this week for (I'm sure there are others):

Alabama - city of Montgomery

Arizona - cities of Tucson, Flagstaff, Tolleson, Mesa, and Tempe (other cities expected to also announce in the next few days)

Arkansas - Fayetteville

California - The entire state

Florida - Orange County (Orlando), Monroe County (Florida Keys), city of Tampa

North Carolina - city of Raleigh, city of Boone

Oregon - Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington, Marion, Polk, Hood River and Lincoln counties

Tennessee - city of Memphis

Texas - Bexar County (San Antonio), Hays County (San Marcos), Hidalgo County (McAllen/Edinburg), the city of Austin (other areas are expected to announce in the next few days)

I guess some feel better carrying teddy bears and security blankets.

• Like 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I wonder if they are saving money on long term care insurance. Morbid I know.

It could have been a gift from the grim reaper to trim Social Security and Medicare costs, but the government even screwed that up.

110926run_defense710.jpg