bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

58 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Completely disagree. Will you wear one in stores which require it or will you avoid those stores?

I am currently behind the cheese curtain, drinking Spotted Cow. Nobody wearing masks around here.

110926run_defense710.jpg

21 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Before "achieving herd immunity" (has it been proven?) many will needlessly die. Wearing the mask increases your odds of survival and being alive once one of the eight vaccines in trials, right now, is proven to eliminate the virus.

Not truly pro-life, are you?

17 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

So, not wearing a mask is murder?

16 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

You know very well this virus can be fatal.

8 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

No s*** Sherlock. Roughly half of the people dying are in nursing homes. Anybody who is fearful or in poor health can just hunker down at home. It's a free country.

3 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

You defeated you're own argument immediately. 

"It's a free country", imagine if rapists, murderers, and drug dealers said that. That's how absurd saying that in an argument sounds.

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

So a healthy person not wearing a mask is the equivalent of a murderer, rapist, or a drug dealer?  I hope that's not what you're suggesting, if so it likely will go down as one of the stupidest things ever to be pontificated on the MWCBOARD.

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Maybe so, please explain.

The point is, you sounded absurd including that in your argument. Therefore, you posted "one of the stupidest things ever to be pontificated on the MWCBOARD."

I am not following your logic. I asked the question if not wearing a mask was the equivalent of murder. It seems like in this dialogue, you are stating that it is the equivalent of being a murderer, rapist, or drug dealer.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Modesto, you know very well that healthy people may be asymptomatic and transmit it further. Why continue to put up these tantrum arguments?

I know that is what we are being told, but I am skeptical of that claim. How does one prove that? Has that claim been proven in a controlled environment? If somebody gets the virus, how do you prove where they got it? As mobile as our society is, who's to say they didn't receive the virus from a different source thsn the asymptomatic person that they think they received it from? Sorry, but I'm smelling a lot of b******* in this panic-demic.

• Like 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

'if' is a conditional.

you could be wrong.  you may not be healthy.

people have covid-19 w/o manifesting symptoms.  it's a measurement of risk.  you are fine to take that risk of not infecting others.  they may not be.  if all you can see out of wearing a mask is virtue signaling then we have a fundamental difference in how we see things and the mask is probably not even the point.

Yes, we have a fundamental disagreement. It is asinine to quarantine and encumber the healthy.

• Like 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Completely disagree. Will you wear one in stores which require it or will you avoid those stores?

An anecdote... My wife owns a PT clinic. She asks her patients to wear a mask and if they don’t? Find another clinic and don’t come back.  She’s asked her staff to clean and re-clean. And clean again. She’s carefully monitoring her health.

Pretty simple logic for any person with two brain cells to rub together.

And a pretty simple ask from business owners who see people all day, especially if they have an elderly, diabetic parent. 

• Like 1

I am not following your logic. I asked the question if not wearing a mask was the equivalent of murder. It seems like in this dialogue, you are stating that it is the equivalent of being a murderer, rapist, or drug dealer.

Nope. You're still attempting to deflect. It's been explained. You had nothing to say, so you just said anything.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

I know that is what we are being told, but I am skeptical of that claim. How does one prove that? Has that claim been proven in a controlled environment? If somebody gets the virus, how do you prove where they got it? As mobile as our society is, who's to say they didn't receive the virus from a different source thsn the asymptomatic person that they think they received it from? Sorry, but I'm smelling a lot of b******* in this panic-demic.

That's a big part of this administration's mismanagement and misinformation. Other countries are tracing/tracking. Dr. Fauci went with shelter in place recommendation the moment it was proven that community contact is also transmitting it.

Many things appear unproven because everything remains fluid. I understand why it appears false to some people. "Perception is reality." Don't let that fool you into thinking public health recommendations show be disregarded.

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

If one is healthy, yes. It is merely virtue signalling.

Judging by the resistance by some — which is pretty much uniquely American — not wearing a mask is apparently virtue signaling, too. 

• Like 4

Cal State Universities are all going online in the fall. So are the K-12 Cali school going to follow suit? Can you differentiate because of age? 

Also, how many college students normally enrolled will skip the fall semester? Which in turn could trigger mass professor layoffs. 

18 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I wear a cloth mask in stores, and around other people, however, I question how effective it is. I think some people have a false sense of security that they can’t get the virus because they have a mask on. The microscopic virus can easily pass through a cloth mask and can attach to another persons face or eyes even if they have a mask on. 

It's there to slow your exhalation and catch small water droplets. 

11 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Virtue signalling.

What do you think your resistance to masks is?

4 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

If one is healthy, yes. It is merely virtue signalling.

How does anyone know if they're healthy? This is like the primary issue of the virus!

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

48 minutes ago, happycamper said:

What do you think your resistance to masks is?

Normalcy.

How does anyone know if they're healthy?

Absent symptoms, I assume that I am healthy. I get a physical every year.

This is like the primary issue of the virus!

Nonsense, 35 years working for the same company, I don't readily recall anybody admitting they were sick at work despite coughing, hacking, sneezing, etc. It's always "allergies". My b******* detector suspects these asymptomatic people are lying.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Masks do not replace the need for social distancing. They are one more barrier that can help stop the spread when used WITH social distancing.

It's not a big ask and the push against it is ridiculous. Just wear the damn things. 

• Like 2

One of the Final Five..........

As for the whole reopen argument

Fauci's recommendations are based on data, on facts and on decades of experience.

Trump really doesn't know sh*t about it, he just wants things back open, to hell with the preventable deaths and disabilities. He's fixated on it only kills old people and they're expendable.

That assertion is wrong. We are seeing serious illness and deaths across all ages including children. NO ONE is expendable. The lack of morality and humanity is mind boggling at this point. 

Hands up for who wants to volunteer themselves, their family and their friends so we can open an economy that 1 really only benefits the 5% and 2 the uncontrolled tsunami that will hit our health care providers when this goes out of control again.

You will not have a viable economy until there is a plan and science based decisions on the when and how of this.

One of the Final Five..........

39 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Modesto, you are deliberately lying to yourself and to me.

The main issue with the corona virus is that people are contagious for up to 3 weeks with no symptoms. That's like the thing people know about it! That's why it is hard to stop! FFS dude. I'll discuss things but at this point you don't give a flying +++++ about facts. you're just a political tool.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

As for the whole reopen argument

Fauci's recommendations are based on data, on facts and on decades of experience.

Trump really doesn't know sh*t about it, he just wants things back open, to hell with the preventable deaths and disabilities. He's fixated on it only kills old people and they're expendable.

That assertion is wrong. We are seeing serious illness and deaths across all ages including children. NO ONE is expendable. The lack of morality and humanity is mind boggling at this point. 

Hands up for who wants to volunteer themselves, their family and their friends so we can open an economy that 1 really only benefits the 5% and 2 the uncontrolled tsunami that will hit our health care providers when this goes out of control again.

You will not have a viable economy until there is a plan and science based decisions on the when and how of this.

WTF are you talking about? Working is what allows millions to feed and take care of their families. They also pay taxes which funds the government. 

As much as you would like, the government can’t keep providing checks to everyone until a vaccine is developed

Stick to medicine, it’s obvious you know nothing about economics. 

• Cheers 4

That's essentially the problem.  The government can't take care of it's people and it's people are being forced to choose between supporting their families and risking their health or the health of their loved ones.

Throw out the crazy far right people who have hijacked the movement--there are still legitimately hundreds of thousands of people (if not more) who aren't going to make it another month or two in the current environment.

An informal poll on my social media shows that my friends that are single, and/or have stable jobs that can work from home, etc.  are advocating staying at home.  Those who have families, or lost their job or can't make ends meet all want things to reopen.

Also a note on masks: It doesn't need to be 100% effective.  Multiple models have shown that if 80% of the population wore masks that were 50-60% effective, we would pretty much quash the spread of this in no time.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

That's essentially the problem.  The government can't take care of it's people and it's people are being forced to choose between supporting their families and risking their health or the health of their loved ones.

Throw out the crazy far right people who have hijacked the movement--there are still legitimately hundreds of thousands of people (if not more) who aren't going to make it another month or two in the current environment.

An informal poll on my social media shows that my friends that are single, and/or have stable jobs that can work from home, etc.  are advocating staying at home.  Those who have families, or lost their job or can't make ends meet all want things to reopen.

Also a note on masks: It doesn't need to be 100% effective.  Multiple models have shown that if 80% of the population wore masks that were 50-60% effective, we would pretty much quash the spread of this in no time.

You were doing well until you got to the last paragraph. I wish it was that easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

You were doing well until you got to the last paragraph. I wish it was that easy.

It's not easy.  Try getting 80% of Americans to do anything....

One such model is the maskin simulator which anyone can play with:

https://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~dekai/mirror/masksim/

Their paper is in peer review.

Article on it: (there are several)

https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-world/covid-19-cases-would-plummet-if-80-of-americans-wore-face-masks-study-says

• Like 3

16 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Cal State Universities are all going online in the fall. So are the K-12 Cali school going to follow suit? Can you differentiate because of age? 

Also, how many college students normally enrolled will skip the fall semester? Which in turn could trigger mass professor layoffs. 

A lot of it depends on the type of funding a district gets. Schools in rich socioeconomic areas can afford chromebooks and the ability for students to work from home. Schools in poor socioeconomic areas can maybe afford chromebooks for the high school students, but not middle schools or elementary. Schools might be looking at staggered start times where some students start in the morning while others start their school day in the afternoon that will involve night classes with teachers tag-teaming in shifts throughout the day. We are already hearing reports in districts talking about deep cuts to arts, sports, clubs, electives, classroom aids, teacher layoffs and furloughs. It's going to get ugly.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg