bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Do you assume that folks who are following the governments recommendations aren't "thinking for themselves"? 

Maybe they've thoughtfully considered all the alternatives and have come to what they believe is an intelligent conclusion that the government recommendations are the best way forward :shrug:

What I mean is people here question government and don’t assume government knows all and always does what’s best for its citizens. Locking down a huge population for an additional three months is absurd and not sustainable. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Many in CA are starting to wake up to the reality that their state is run by morons who don’t give 2 shits about them.

I don't disagree with you that our leaders "don't give 2 shits about them". We're one of the world's greatest economies. ~15% of the GDP comes from the Golden State. Regardless of our State's leadership, we make the Golden State golden. We are doing what we need to do to keep our economy the fifth largest in the world and remain so once this pandemic is defeated by science.

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

What I mean is people here question government and don’t assume government knows all and always does what’s best for its citizens. Locking down a huge population for an additional three months is absurd and not sustainable. 

Everyone questions the same government in the same way and have zero issue with other government programs in the same way. Clear evidence of thinking for themselves

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I don't disagree with you that our leaders "don't give 2 shits about them". We're one of the world's greatest economies. ~15% of the GDP comes from the Golden State. Regardless of our State's leadership, we make the Golden State golden. We are doing what we need to do to keep our economy the fifth largest in the world.

Stay sheltered for three more months and that economy will be in shambles. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, soupslam1 said:

The economy was in shambles before shelter in place soup. Look at various states. Restaurant occupancy and spending had cratered to ~15% of January levels before lockdown orders were put in place. 

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Go back to work, get sick for weeks, too weak to work, then probably die, on a large scale "and that economy will be in shambles."

You're basic points have become extremely redundant.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

And don't "assume" that just because the folks in California, or elsewhere, might agree with the current measures, that they don't "question government". 

• Cheers 1

its true, one of the side benefits to wearing a mask is a simple, "I'm acknowledging that this virus is dangerous and deadly.  Even if I'm not as protected as I would be in a Hazmat suit, I am aware of my surroundings and am watching out for you." 

Is that too much to ask?

For me the discomfort of wearing a mask is also a subtle reminder of the need to social distance, wash my hands and to avoid touching my face. 

At worst a mask is uncomfortable, at best it could save someones life!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Yikes. Is that even possible without a large majority revolting and saying phuck you? 

I am guessing they are expecting the phuck you.  People will gradually break the order and LEO will be told to enforce it less and less until it is as if the order doesn't exist.  It may be the government's best approach to do that, if they aren't lifting everything.

16 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I am guessing they are expecting the phuck you.  People will gradually break the order and LEO will be told to enforce it less and less until it is as if the order doesn't exist.  It may be the government's best approach to do that, if they aren't lifting everything.

Well and it seems like the list of "essential" grows to the point of being meaningless

23 hours ago, sactowndog said:

How do you see small investors getting taxed twice?   Are you saying it gets counted as personal income and then when they sell the business?  I’m not an accountant but I believe S Corps are possible.   I could see including the ability to incorporate more easily as part of the plan.  

Maybe we aren't speaking of the same thing with regards to capital gains tax. If I buy 1 share of Apple with after tax money and know that I'll be paying, let's say 33 percent cap gains tax (twice taxed), then people become traders rather than investors since there is no incentive to hold a stock. My investing strategy changes significantly and would look at alternative investments like real estate or other less liquid vehicles.

From the data I've read and what I've seen first hand, it seems to may that the shut downs have had their desired effects and have prevented the major strains on the healthcare systems that occured in Italy, NY, etc.  I feel decisions can be made on ending the shut downs at varying degress based on population and severity rates. However, people should really wear masks to play it safe. It's a minor inconvenience that could protect themselves and others.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Maybe we aren't speaking of the same thing with regards to capital gains tax. If I buy 1 share of Apple with after tax money and know that I'll be paying, let's say 33 percent cap gains tax (twice taxed), then people become traders rather than investors since there is no incentive to hold a stock. My investing strategy changes significantly and would look at alternative investments like real estate or other less liquid vehicles.

Your investment isn't getting "taxed twice". The profits from the investment are getting taxed as income, and IMO should be taxed just like any other income.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

What is the end game of wearing a mask? Everyone's (or a sufficient number to achieve herd immunity) going to get it eventually. By wearing a mask you are achieving what exactly? Delaying the inevitable? Be part of the solution and get the virus if you are young and healthy. 

Before "achieving herd immunity" (has it been proven?) many will needlessly die. Wearing the mask increases your odds of survival and being alive once one of the eight vaccines in trials, right now, is proven to eliminate the virus.

Not truly pro-life, are you?

52 minutes ago, Bob said:

:frustrated:stop it. There is no indication anywhere that this would happen under any circumstance.

Unless you can, you know, read:waiting:

"A report that helped convince Trump to take coronavirus seriously projected that 2.2 million people could die in the US if we don't act"

Link

"Trump’s new coronavirus argument: 2 million people are being saved"

Link

Now, both links reference one model, the UK's MRC Global Infectious Disease Analysis' model. Forget the fact I've referenced it - in discussions with you in particular - numerous times in numerous threads since the beginning of March,  the point is it's been covered by pretty much every (legitimate) news source in existence in the same tie frame.

Furthermore, it is a model that was not only referenced by Trump (see above), but has been used by Pence's pandemic working group as well.

In addition, the CDC's own model projected up to 1.7 million deaths:

The C.D.C.’s scenarios were depicted in terms of percentages of the population. Translated into absolute numbers by independent experts using simple models of how viruses spread, the worst-case figures would be staggering if no actions were taken to slow transmission.

Between 160 million and 214 million people in the United States could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to a projection that encompasses the range of the four scenarios. That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said. As many as 200,000 to 1.7 million people could die.

Link

Phonics. Get hooked on 'em, Bob.

• Haha 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

What is the end game of wearing a mask? Everyone's (or a sufficient number to achieve herd immunity) going to get it eventually. By wearing a mask you are achieving what exactly? Delaying the inevitable? Be part of the solution and get the virus if you are young and healthy. 

To reduce the R0 to a value <1.

I swear to f*cking God, breaking this shit down for you is like explaining physics to a goldfish.

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

10 minutes ago, Bob said:

Ain't going to be a vaccine for a long, long time. If ever. Oh, and you're a dumbass.

the office lol GIF

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

To reduce the R0 to a value <1.

I swear to f*cking God, breaking this shit down for you is like explaining physics to a goldfish.

I dunno. Goldfish at least acknowledge you and can find their way around a fish tank.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

Do yourself a favor and go hide in a cave for the next 5 years, K?

Only if you inject or ingest (or both for higher dosage) bleach first. Don't forget, that is what your leader suggested you do.

• Like 1