bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

6 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

The bottom line is this, wearing a mask is at worst a slight discomfort and inconvenience, at best it could possibly save your life or the lives of others if you are an asymptotic carrier (and there will be more now that restrictions are being lifted - and you won’t really know for sure). Not wearing at mask is at best keeping the status quo and at worst endangering people’s health and lives.

So again be socially responsible and do the right thing, make the most minor of sacrifices and wear a mask in public. I want to get life back to normal, I want to work on restoring the economy, and if this is what it takes it is an easy easy decision. Refusal to do this is not patriotism.

I look at it this way — wearing a mask is the polite thing to do. It’s not about protecting yourself but respecting others. It’s similar to not swearing in public around children or being an obnoxious aggressive driver. 

• Like 6
  • Cheers 1

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

7 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Brown's extending the state of emergency to keep all options on the table. Oregon has done a fantastic job flattening the curve so far. But if things go badly, we are one of the least equipped states to handle a major outbreak (in terms of ICU beds, ventilators, etc.). Look, it's easy for rural communities to say "We're safe out here, let us do our thing." But they have no facilities to deal with bad COVID cases. Zero. The moment someone gets very sick, they expect their asses to be airlifted to Portland, Bend, or Salem. We have one of the lowest per-capita number of ICU beds in the country. With the weather getting nicer and everybody sick and tired of quarantining, we could be back where we were a few weeks ago in a matter of days. The governor needs to move very carefully here.  

I'm in Portland, and although we shut down pretty early, the governor, the mayor, and the police have said from day 1 that what they expect is common sense. I've not heard of any kind of police harassment of people violating mask rules or shelter in place orders as long as they kept their distance.

Brown's not a power grabber. If anything, she's usually not assertive enough, but she's been doing a pretty good job in this crisis. 

With the excellent shape Oregon is in....i would say ...power grab.   This has politics written all over it.

• Like 1

Idaho’s positive cases and deaths have pretty much flattened over the last three weeks. We are consistently  seeing about 20-30 positive cases a day  and 15 deaths after 50 in the first month. However, the big test will be in the next few weeks as people start going back to work and congregating at church, etc. 

Regarding masks, I think it’s prudent if it’s necessary for you be in close contact with others while working or other activity. It’s pretty tough finding any in local stores, but my wife has ordered several off Amazon. 

Here’s an interesting video about masks and their effectiveness. Like others have said, it’s more about protecting others than yourself. 

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/idaho-confirms-first-covid-19-coronavirus-case/277-262de30b-ef00-40a2-b40e-43e26f0bb99b

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Is it really necessary to wear a mask outdoors if you maintain distance from others? Most of us have been doing this from the inception. It seems like just one more restriction that some local governments are placing on citizens.

I understand the need in public gatherings, work places, churches, etc. where distance can’t be maintained, especially indoors, but c’mon lets be sensible. What’s the next step? You can’t leave home unless you’re going to the grocery store? 

Local guidelines only require one if you are within 6' of someone who's not a member of your household, and exempts those participating in activities such as biking, rather just asking people involved in such activities to maintain 6' of separation from each other.

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Idaho’s positive cases and deaths have pretty much flattened over the last three weeks. We are consistently  seeing about 20-30 positive cases a day  and only 15 deaths after 50 in the first month. However, the big test will be in the next few weeks as people start going back to work and congregating at church, etc. 

Regarding masks, I think it’s prudent if it’s necessary for you be in close contact with others while working or other activity. It’s pretty tough finding any in local stores, but my wife has ordered several off Amazon. 

Here’s an interesting video about masks.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/idaho-confirms-first-covid-19-coronavirus-case/277-262de30b-ef00-40a2-b40e-43e26f0bb99b

I'd describe your new case count as trending down as per the declining tops below:

Screen-Shot-2020-05-04-at-9-34-10-AM.png

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

The bottom line is this, wearing a mask is at worst a slight discomfort and inconvenience, at best it could possibly save your life or the lives of others if you are an asymptotic carrier (and there will be more now that restrictions are being lifted - and you won’t really know for sure). Not wearing at mask is at best keeping the status quo and at worst endangering people’s health and lives.

So again be socially responsible and do the right thing, make the most minor of sacrifices and wear a mask in public. I want to get life back to normal, I want to work on restoring the economy, and if this is what it takes it is an easy easy decision. Refusal to do this is not patriotism.

200-3.gif

• Like 1

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

5 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

just think you could create your own facemask and use it as an advertisement.  You could make a Trump 2020 facemask, a confederate flag, Fox news, or an assault rifle or a hundred other things that show how you're being picked on and oppressed.

that's a bingo. you got me pinned. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

45 minutes ago, Bob said:

Why are daycare centers and schools still closed if kids don't pass the virus to adults and the virus is harmless to children? Oh, wait, stupid people are making decisions for he rest of us

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/no-evidence-of-kids-passing-coronavirus-to-adults-studies-show/

Because the American approach is one size fits all. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

This is absurd on its face! There is no "American approach". There are 50 state level approaches with many counties and municipalities making their own approaches too.

I mean dude you have to have not read a single word on the coronavirus to write the above statement. The response to the coronavirus is a great antonym to "one size fits all". 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

What there is a national approach?    try to pay attention here.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Why are daycare centers and schools still closed if kids don't pass the virus to adults and the virus is harmless to children? Oh, wait, stupid people are making decisions for he rest of us

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/no-evidence-of-kids-passing-coronavirus-to-adults-studies-show/

Give people some time to react and analyze the data it hasn't even been a week.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Billings said:

What there is a national approach?    try to pay attention here.

Sure there is. Please pay attention to the following. There are only four things you have to remember. Hide in your cave. If you come out, stay six feet away from others, or wear a mask. Keep doing this until the government authority tells you what you are allowed to do next. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Sure there is. Please pay attention to the following. There are only four things you have to remember. Hide in your cave. If you come out, stay six feet away from others, or wear a mask. Keep doing this until the government authority tells you what you are allowed to do next. 

What? This has nothing to do with reality.  You are just posting objective lies right now. 

1. You totally ignore the diversity in responses by local authorities,  from lock out the beaches California to +++++ it spring break Georgia to always wear a mask philly to wear mask in stores to be polite Washington. 

2. You totally ignore the fact that the federal government has decided to cede initiative and responsibility to the states

3. You totally ignore the fact that multiple municipalities have tighter controls than their states

4. You ignore the fact that global response has used masks, social distance,  and limited excursions to limit viral spread

5. It is not six feet or a mask

6. A lot of restrictions you see are business taking their own steps to protect their employees,  customers, and business in general 

7. People ignoring government policy has caused it to be changed,  from threatening anyone wearing masks in Oklahoma to counties in Washington declaring construction as acceptable and bending the state government by doing so. 

Seriously every part of your post is a lie. 

• Like 4
  • Cheers 4
  • Facepalm 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Russia being Russia

favicon-32x32.png?12-31-19 Business Insider

5eb0a54d42278d2cca2ab6c3?width=1200&format=jpeg

3 healthcare workers in Russia fell out of hospital windows under mysterious...

Two of the three doctors had been outspoken critics on Russia's lack of preparedness and PPE shortages for medical workers on the frontlines.

apparently banana peels are littering hospital floors in the mother country

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

Russia being Russia

favicon-32x32.png?12-31-19 Business Insider

5eb0a54d42278d2cca2ab6c3?width=1200&format=jpeg

3 healthcare workers in Russia fell out of hospital windows under mysterious...

Two of the three doctors had been outspoken critics on Russia's lack of preparedness and PPE shortages for medical workers on the frontlines.

apparently banana peels are littering hospital floors in the mother country

I've been trying to workshop a worthy joke to post on the twitters for the last 24 hours, or about the same time it takes for another three Russian doctors to "fall" out of a window.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

China and India are reporting extremely low per capita death rates like 100 times less than ours. Our death projections have been all over the map. How can anyone believe these statistics? 

Different reasons IMO. China straight lied about their numbers, full stop.

India, on the other hand, tends to rapidly dispose of their dead, both within the large population centers as well as the insular villages where a majority of their population still lives. When someone dies, there is a day of mourning over the body before it is cremated. And in insular villages, there aren't a whole lot of crematoriums, and thus people rely on good, old-fashioned funeral pyres.

In addition, according to this Times of India article, less than 1/4 of "registered" deaths are medically certified, so there is a possibility a lot of deaths resulting from COVID-19go unnoticed or undocumented.

It is worth mentioning that the Indian press, while not as free as ours, is not state-controlled like the Chinese media, either. Thus, if there was a large number of unaccounted deaths it would have been reported.

Also remember that death count is a lagging indicator. Fatalities occur on or about the 24th-30th day from the onset of symptoms. I wholly expect their fatality count to significantly climb in the weeks ahead.

Lastly, it is worth noting India did a phenomenal job bringing resources to bare early on to contain the outbreak. 40,000 (or was it 60,000?) people in Kerala alone were mobilized for contact tracing. Every international arrival was directed to self-quarantine for 14 days, with routine, proactive follow-ups by public health officials to ensure people were complying and to check for symptoms. Had we acted with India's prudence at the national level, we would likely have a far lower case (and fatality) count than we do now.

All that said, India is still in the nascent stage of this pandemic. With 1.3 billion people crammed into a land mass 1/3 the size of ours (the population density in Mumbai is nearly 3x what is is in NYC), they have far less room for error, and the numbers are beginning to scale up. Once they lose full containment, it will likely tear through their population like wildfire.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-05-at-11-38-01-AM.pn

• Like 3