bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

20 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

ugh bad news from the CDC/Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/21/coronavirus-latest-news/

2nd wave expected to be worse (COVID-19 and FLU simultaneously)

:surrender:

Second wave worse than the first?

I already knew that was likely. Bob showed 2 days ago that would likely happen with his 1918 graph. :D

First wave for that pandemic was July 1918. Second wave was October/November 1918 and much worse.

1918's second wave was worse because the virus mutated to a form more dangerous for younger people (COVID-19 mutations are already being seen). Plus people started taking fewer precautions during the second wave becoming more complacent. Philadelphia hosting a parade September 28, 1918 is just one example

We won't know what will happen with COVID-19, but those who do not remember the past......

On 4/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, Bob said:

1918_spanish_flu_waves-1.gif

43 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

ugh bad news from the CDC/Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/21/coronavirus-latest-news/

2nd wave expected to be worse (COVID-19 and FLU simultaneously)

:surrender:

Goodbye college football.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

And some clueless people will still argue we’re not the greatest country in the world. :USFlag:

machine gun america GIF

• Cheers 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

First, the antibody testing is different than the shortage of swabs, tubes and reagents for coronavirus testing. Those are still in short supply. Maryland bought swabs from South Korea even though they had lab capacity, need the swabs before you can process. Trump says he now is invoking the Defense Production Act to get more swabs made for the US.

But next, antibody testing does not detect until 1 or 2 weeks after infection. It is after the fact. The antibody test is not detecting the virus but the body's response.

The diagnostic testing checks for current virus. That is still a shortage for symptomatic or asymptomatic infections.

No, there is no shortage if they have excess capacity currently.  That makes no sense.

There may be a shortage for future planned testing but by definition we are currently under utilizing current testing.

Are they going to update the models with the new, much lower fatality and hospitalization rates as they continue to come out?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Are they going to update the models with the new, much lower fatality and hospitalization rates as they continue to come out?

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

Down from 68,000 to 60,000 for the first wave this week. New York and Jersey look worst than suspected, Massachusetts and Connecticut much better. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Nm

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

27 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

No, there is no shortage if they have excess capacity currently.  That makes no sense.

There may be a shortage for future planned testing but by definition we are currently under utilizing current testing.

The location of the labs with capacity forms a constraint.

The swabs and reagents also are a constraint on testing. Do we have supplies for a week, 2 weeks, a month? We don't know current supply levels and how long they can last at the current or an increased pace.

The article also doesn't tell us the upper limit for tests per day at private labs or their plans for capacity expansion. They say testing peaked at 108,000 per day (756,000 per week) at private labs. But we are seeing much, much larger estimates of the number of daily tests from private and public labs needed to reopen the country.

It is good news that for now a few more people in some areas can be tested (I had an elderly family member who's doctor wanted testing last week who had to wait several days because of availability issues in that area). But I am still concerned about our overall lab capacity and situation.

49 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

Down from 68,000 to 60,000 for the first wave this week. New York and Jersey look worst than suspected, Massachusetts and Connecticut much better. 

They have Utah as one of the later states to re-open (June 21).  Same with AZ.  I read that UT and AZ are targeting to re-open together on May 1.  I will be shocked if that does not happen...assuming the cases stay as low as they currently are.  It is hard to show a decline when you only have 100 or so new infections each day as it is.

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

I don’t know where these media sites get their information but from a frontline perspective, there definitely is still a shortage. We have daily updates on inventory of rapid PCR tests. Our hospital which is In a hotspot has 25 Cepheid tests left and less than 90 Abbott tests which is very labor intensive. Once these are gone, we can’t find more supply. We’ll be back to the 3-7 day turnaround tests again. We’re still a long way off.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

Second wave worse than the first?

I already knew that was likely. Bob showed 2 days ago that would likely happen with his 1918 graph. :D

First wave for that pandemic was July 1918. Second wave was October/November 1918 and much worse.

1918's second wave was worse because the virus mutated to a form more dangerous for younger people (COVID-19 mutations are already being seen). Plus people started taking fewer precautions during the second wave becoming more complacent. Philadelphia hosting a parade September 28, 1918 is just one example

We won't know what will happen with COVID-19, but those who do not remember the past......

From what I understand, complacency and fewer precautions in October were particularly deadly in the Bay Area as there was no statewide policy, just local and the mayor of what was then the state's most populous city, SF, simply implimented a mask-wearing requirement but no social distancing as was done in L.A. And then in November following the WWI armistice, hundreds of thousands of doughboys brought a mutated variety of the disease back with them from Europe. We won't have the latter problem with COVID-19 and let's hope a vaccine is found long before the 12-month mark that's been speculated.

• Like 2

Boom goes the dynamite.

10 minutes ago, retrofade said:

With the news of a second wave coming in the Fall with no vaccine in sight I'll be surprised if we go back to a regular school schedule at least here in California. We will be having meetings next week about the very real possibility of going to an online independent study format for my district. 

• Sad 2

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

From what I understand, complacency and fewer precautions in October were particularly deadly in the Bay Area as there was no statewide policy, just local and the mayor of what was then the state's most populous city, SF, simply implimented a mask-wearing requirement but no social distancing as was done in L.A. And then in November following the WWI armistice, hundreds of thousands of doughboys brought a mutated variety of the disease back with them from Europe. We won't have the latter problem with COVID-19 and let's hope a vaccine is found long before the 12-month mark that's been speculated.

that doesn't really track though. the armistice was november 11th. To get just from new york to france it takes about 15 days and then it is another 4 days to San Fran. Unless literally at 11:01 doughboys loaded on to ships at port they weren't in SF yet in November and even that would be november 30th.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I think it's worth pointing out that in just seven weeks, COVID-19 has killed over 30% more Americans (45,000) than the flu did in the entire 2018-2019 season (34,200).

And it required shutting everything down just to keep it this low. I also think we're nowhere near the end - I still think the death toll will be twice what the best-case predictions are before this is all said and done. 

Screen-Shot-2020-04-21-at-7-18-06-PM.png

• Sad 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 4/20/2020 at 1:20 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Don't think this is bad news, but shows there is uncertainty to what effects the virus has on various people & the dangers of some being somewhat immune while others might get hit hard.

Genetics will play a part in survival rates 

IMO the most important takeaway is that 96% of the population is still susceptible. 

So if the entire susceptible population were exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, we could expect hospitalizations and death counts to be approx. 25x higher as well. In LA County, that would translate to over 15,000 fatalities.

And if that infection rate were to hold for the entire country, full exposure would translate to over 1.1 million fatalities.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg