bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

12 minutes ago, Akkula said:

My trip to walmart today disagrees with you😉

Okay "only go to gringo places" expat

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I don't want to go to Costa Rica anymore.  :(

legitimately the worst food of any place I've ever been. 

• Cheers 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Okay "only go to gringo places" expat

legitimately the worst food of any place I've ever been. 

When you get outside of the central valley there are a lot of smaller grocery stores and very politically incorrect places called "chinos"  Things are pretty different as you get out of the city.

The food here is pretty plain but I have grown to like it...I think you just have to know what to order.  The weird part is they have these things called "sodas" that basically are completely unaffiliated family owned restaurants but they tend to serve the same type of food so you kind of know what you will get even though it isn't a chain.  Chifrijo is one of my favorites.  Casados are another one...which is basically rice, salad, beans, and your choice of meat.  Nothing fancy but a decent healthy meal to eat out that isn't filled with crap and empty calories.  There are a lot of people selling fruits and vegetables in markets, on the side of the road, etc.

• Like 1
Posted Image

12 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I don't want to go to Costa Rica anymore.  :(

If you want really rustic you can get that here too...when you have lived here for many years sometimes you get a hankerin for PF Chang's so that is a good time take a city trip.  You don't have to go to the USA to get a taste of it!

Posted Image

It doesn't help replenish the supply chain when the truck drivers are being treated like lepers.  Truck stops are only allowing a small amount of trucks to park & showers have been shut down.  Some places aren't even allowing them into the c-stores for food or the restaurants in the truck stops. 

down in a hole.jpg

6 minutes ago, Akkula said:

When you get outside of the central valley there are a lot of smaller grocery stores and very politically incorrect places called "chinos"  Things are pretty different as you get out of the city.

The food here is pretty plain but I have grown to like it...I think you just have to know what to order.  The weird part is they have these things called "sodas" that basically are completely unaffiliated family owned restaurants but they tend to serve the same type of food so you kind of know what you will get even though it isn't a chain.  Chifrijo is one of my favorites.  Casados are another one...which is basically rice, salad, beans, and your choice of meat.  Nothing fancy but a decent healthy meal to eat out that isn't filled with crap and empty calories.  There are a lot of people selling fruits and vegetables in markets, on the side of the road, etc.

I lived outside the city. The food is just bland. bland bland bland. bread chayote fruit rice beans repeat. Fish soup, maybe, on Friday if you're lucky. The fruit is great, sure, but does not a meal make. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

It doesn't help replenish the supply chain when the truck drivers are being treated like lepers.  Truck stops are only allowing a small amount of trucks to park & showers have been shut down.  Some places aren't even allowing them into the c-stores for food or the restaurants in the truck stops. 

It is why California has approved food trucks temporarily operating at the state's 86 highway rest stops.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-17/california-highways-food-trucks-coronavirus-rest-stops

2 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

It is why California has approved food trucks temporarily operating at the state's 86 highway rest stops.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-17/california-highways-food-trucks-coronavirus-rest-stops

That is awesome!!!  I've heard stories about people going to the rest stops and give out food to the drivers.  Thank you California!!!

• Cheers 1

down in a hole.jpg

23 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

That is awesome!!!  I've heard stories about people going to the rest stops and give out food to the drivers.  Thank you California!!!

peter pan indian GIF

A rare thank you to California. Nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Akkula said:

They do but most of this stuff is concentrated in San Jose so if you are out in the tourist areas on the coast there are much fewer things.  The Denny's by the airport in San Jose is effin expensive.  God help you if you go to Hooters or Applebeas.....they will charge you like $35 dollars a plate!  Walmart has superstores here that are huge like USA Walmarts.  They also on other Costa Rica brands like Mas X Menos, Pali and Maxi Pali.  There is also a grocer called Mega Super and Auto Mercado (this is a "high end" grocery store that costs a lot more but they have a lot of stuff from the USA).  We also have Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Papa John's....so on and so forth.  

I have been in San Jose during the virus and things are pretty convenient here.  I usually live up in Guanacaste and the closest walmart is in Liberia which is over an hour away from me.  Liberia has some fast food chains too.  Being an expat, though, you will note that things are a LOT less convenient than in the USA.  There is no real online shopping, etc.  But I kinda enjoy the challenge!

Yes, this was in San Jose by the airport, but we were exhausted and could walk to Denny's from our hotel where we were just staying for the night before heading to Arenal. So, Denny's it was. Ate typical food most the trip. Didn't spend really any time in San Juan. Think we stocked up at a Pali, that sounds familiar, before heading toward Quepos/Tulemar/Manuel Antonio, where we stayed rest of the trip.

8 minutes ago, Bob said:

I went last year. It was absolutely amazing except for the food. Shittiest food I've ever eaten anywhere on earth bar none EXCEPT for the fruit. Holy shit I've never tasted fruit like that.

LOL, Notice how there aren't many Costa Rican restaurants in cities?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

The bottom of that article says:
"The labs still do not have the capacity for mass testing of asymptomatic members of the general public. Challenges to increase the capacity still more include shortages of testing swabs, reagents and other supplies."

5 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The bottom of that article says:
"The labs still do not have the capacity for mass testing of asymptomatic members of the general public. Challenges to increase the capacity still more include shortages of testing swabs, reagents and other supplies."

That is what the antibody tests are for.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Yes, and antibody tests deal with blood and analyzing genetic material. It’s a different type of shortage, but the production problems of special swabs, growing enzymes for reagents etc... for the Rona tests don’t apply to it. This is very good news. Should go in the positive news thread, too.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

First, the antibody testing is different than the shortage of swabs, tubes and reagents for coronavirus testing. Those are still in short supply. Maryland bought swabs from South Korea even though they had lab capacity, need the swabs before you can process. Trump says he now is invoking the Defense Production Act to get more swabs made for the US.

But next, antibody testing does not detect until 1 or 2 weeks after infection. It is after the fact. The antibody test is not detecting the virus but the body's response.

The diagnostic testing checks for current virus. That is still a shortage for symptomatic or asymptomatic infections.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

He'll attack the trial as biased or something.

Or he'll blame his touting of the drug on Fauci or something.

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Looks like this was a bust:

Here's a link to the study:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.16.20065920v1.full.pdf

of the 210 participants given HC plus standard treatment - 52 died (24.76%)

of the 158 participants given standard treatment - 18 died (11.39%)

So Trump basically murdered 28 veterans in this study. (if Trump can use hyperbole to say-it-like-it-is, than I can too.)

14 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Or he'll blame his touting of the drug on Fauci or something.

Here's a link to the study:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.16.20065920v1.full.pdf

of the 210 participants given HC plus standard treatment - 52 died (24.76%)

of the 158 participants given standard treatment - 18 died (11.39%)

So Trump basically murdered 28 veterans in this study. (if Trump can use hyperbole to say-it-like-it-is, than I can too.)

ill allow it GIF

• Cheers 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

ugh bad news from the CDC/Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/04/21/coronavirus-latest-news/

2nd wave expected to be worse (COVID-19 and FLU simultaneously)

:surrender:

harry potter i give up GIF

Hopefully we have an effective treatment by then

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Sounds like my trip. We ate at the resort the first night in Arenal and it was as disgusting as it was expensive. Next day, not sure what possessed me, but I got a "burger" in that little tourist trap place La Fortuna and it made me vomit. The proprietor of that place was intently watching me as I choked some of it down and I didn't want to offend him. Awful experience. We then ate mostly a delightful snack mix of Cheetos, pretzels, and Sun Chips after that. Never seen quite the same mix sold in the USA. The resort on the beach had OK food.

Yes, expensive bad food (especially in tourist areas) is their specialty.  The thing I like about Costa Rica and Latin America, though, is you can generally rent a condo or a house with a kitchen for pretty cheap.  I much prefer to travel in this way but perhaps that is because my wife is an excellent cook and it saves us money and we get better food.  I never understood people who like to go to a foreign country and just flop on the beach and get hammered for a week...seems like a waste...and that seems like a typical Mexican riviera Cancun trip.  Costa Rica is more of a place you go to do activities like surfing, hiking, etc., so being locked up in a resort for a week is not really getting the full experience so that is why most people seem to travel around the country a bit.  

They don't know how to make a hamburger around here most of the time.  I remember one of the first times I got one they put a slice of ham coldcuts on top of my burger.  Their beef is tough and not very good here so hamburgers are not really a "thing here."  I usually like their pork chops and chicken here.  They make pretty good fried chicken too.  I think their sausage is not very good and it is bland.  Be careful for the hot dogs because they wrap some of them in invisible plastic casting.  That was really fun the first time we threw one of those bad boys in the microwave!

• Like 1
Posted Image