bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Why are boutiques and shoe stores closed but ice cream parlors open?

Why are tobacco shops open but GameStop closed?  (don't get me wrong, I'm glad the tobacco shop is open)

Ask Kafka. He probably knows. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

45 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

And profits are far less important to the broadcast media in Sweden than is the case here. https://sweden.se/society/10-features-of-democracy-in-sweden/

Want profits? Get ratings. Want ratings? Don't simply report hard facts; instead, sensationalize and cherry pick them.

I have just stopped tuning them in.  They keep exclaiming how quickly this story is moving.  It isn't.  Tune out for a couple of days.  When you tune back in, you realize they are talking about the same stuff, just with a different expert.  I am not sure we can 100% trust them to go against their best interest when peddling a pandemic crisis is so good for their ratings.  I have not tracked the numbers in Utah for a few days.  On Saturday, we had under 30 deaths with nearly 3,500 confirmed cases.  That is a death rate under the flu.....at least in Utah.

1 hour ago, BYUcougfan said:

I have just stopped tuning them in.  They keep exclaiming how quickly this story is moving.  It isn't.  Tune out for a couple of days.  When you tune back in, you realize they are talking about the same stuff, just with a different expert.  I am not sure we can 100% trust them to go against their best interest when peddling a pandemic crisis is so good for their ratings.  I have not tracked the numbers in Utah for a few days.  On Saturday, we had under 30 deaths with nearly 3,500 confirmed cases.  That is a death rate under the flu.....at least in Utah.

I’m LDS and I guess President Nelson is sensationalizing this too, right?  Two world wide fasts in less than a month, Suspending temple, church and general conference attendance.  If only he watched a different cable news network he could be just as callous.

SMH - US deaths doubled again in one week, were now about 15 times as many deaths as 9/11 and you clowns are focused on how the media is making too big a deal about this.

• Like 2

That doesn't really negate his point.  Of course they are high risk.  That doesn't change the impact of reducing cancer screenings and treatments.

You are saying they should leave the house to get screenings and treatments?

Either way there is a concern.

5 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

You are saying they should leave the house to get screenings and treatments?

Either way there is a concern.

Of course they should.  And I'm sure they are in some cases.  I can't believe they've just put a halt to everyone doing outpatient chemo therapy.  It's just a matter of access being greatly reduced.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Of course they should.  And I'm sure they are in some cases.  I can't believe they've just put a halt to everyone doing outpatient chemo therapy.  It's just a matter of access being greatly reduced.

Not everyone, but yes there are halts/delays on chemo, radiation and other cancer treatments due to the virus risk. I have heard of some personally.

The American Cancer Society just released a survey that said about 25% of cancer patients currently in active treatment have now had it delayed.

That survey number is separate from post-treatment patients who have had followup visits or imaging delayed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

I’m LDS and I guess President Nelson is sensationalizing this too, right?  Two world wide fasts in less than a month, Suspending temple, church and general conference attendance.  If only he watched a different cable news network he could be just as callous.

SMH - US deaths doubled again in one week, were now about 15 times as many deaths as 9/11 and you clowns are focused on how the media is making too big a deal about this.

I am curious what I said that was not correct.  The media cover this on the 24 hour news cycle.  Things are not developing that quickly.  I quoted the numbers in Utah.  Are we now not allowed to actually quote the numbers without offending?  Did I say end the lockdown tomorrow?  Relax Karen.

8 minutes ago, Bob said:

The point is that it's not inconceivable that 60k could die in a year from flu and no one would bat a +++++ing eye, yet we stop the world for this. You didn't disprove anything. This blue checkmark guy makes a lot of other valid points, too.

jfc.

Bob's criteria for corona:

"a dude who got verified on twitter said a thing and also at one discrete point in time only tens of thousands have died from corona so that's the only thing that will ever happen"

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

While I am firmly in the boat of economists needing to have a say in the sheltering/non-sheltering, it is peculiar how so many people scoff at what the majority of science and medicine are saying?  Case and point, the protests (which I am fine with) with few masks on, and (understandably) no distancing.  Old people there too.  I would have said "well they just don't believe it", but many said they do think there is a threat and understand that the virus is real.  At least protect yourself, right?

Influenza infects tens of millions of people each year to get to its casualty numbers (37K each year on avg the last 9 years).  Coronavirus has infected right around 800K (admittedly much higher, but there are a lot of asymptomatic cases of the flu too that go undiagnosed and/or undetected) and killed 42K over a 6-week span.  Think about that for a second.

I’m all for re-opening ASAP.  The status quo is not sustainable, but re-opening has to be done responsibly.  

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

v0icAvfW.jpg

I'm in a hotspot town that won't open anytime soon but there are large portions of NM that haven't had a case of Covid in more than 2 weeks and no evidence of community spread. There really isn't any reason not to open those counties with precautions rather than have mass layoffs and bankruptcies that will likely be permanent.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob said:

The point is that it's not inconceivable that 60k could die in a year from flu and no one would bat a +++++ing eye, yet we stop the world for this. You didn't disprove anything. This blue checkmark guy makes a lot of other valid points, too.

You understand that 40k people in the U.S. alone just died in the last month. I don't remember the seasonal flu ever doing that. And that's with stopping the world.

• Like 3

On 4/21/2020 at 9:12 AM, Bob said:

Around 40k+ die in essentially a 2 month span each flu season. What do you think the curve looks like in a  typical flu season? So this is twice as bad as the flu. Better shut the world down.

40k+ Covid deaths with unprecedented containment measures...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

Around 40k+ die in essentially a 2 month span each flu season. What do you think the curve looks like in a  typical flu season? So this is twice as bad as the flu. Better shut the world down.

Uh huh. And what does that flu curve look like in November? Because right now we're less than two months removed from the first detected case of community spread in Washington, which would be about equivalent to the end of November during a typical flu season. This is what the average flu season looks like, typically peaking in February, according to the CDC...

flu-peak-activity-updated.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rocket said:

The hospitals need the time, they can’t move the dead bodies out fast enough.

Maybe in New York. Many hospitals have less than half the patients they normally have since they are only doing emergency surgeries and cases. 

As an aside,  I went to the dentist yesterday afternoon to have a crown replaced. I was the only patient in the office. It was me, the dentist, his assistant, and two women at the front desk. On a normal day there are four dentists, ten assts/hygienists and they see more than 100 patients. 

4 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I'm in a hotspot town that won't open anytime soon but there are large portions of NM that haven't had a case of Covid in more than 2 weeks and no evidence of community spread. There really isn't any reason not to open those counties with precautions rather than have mass layoffs and bankruptcies that will likely be permanent.

they should all stay home until they starve and die. 

4 minutes ago, pokerider said:

they should all stay home until they starve and die. 

I went to the grocery store yesterday.  No one is hoarding any more, but the grocery store shelves were still half empty.  I am hoping the issue is that it will just take some time to recover from the run on the grocery stores a month ago.  Otherwise, there are some supply issues starting to manifest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I went to the grocery store yesterday.  No one is hoarding any more, but the grocery store shelves were still half empty.  I am hoping the issue is that it will just take some time to recover from the run on the grocery stores a month ago.  Otherwise, there are some supply issues starting to manifest.

The Democrats response to this is to Let them eat cake.