bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

3 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Man I learn most of political knowledge from reading this board, but I still don’t understand why Reagan has such a good reputation. He did some heinous shit that directly affects our lives today.

He fundamentally changed the tax structure that more or less still exists.  Prior to Reagan, marginal tax rates where in the 70 and 80% range.   Presidents have tweaked them slightly up or down since then but in general they are in a band set by Reagan.   

He also worked to bring down the Soviet Union by ramping arms sales to the point the Soviet Union couldn't keep up the ultimately disintegrated.   This change also signaled the rise of western style market based economies and the surge of stock exchanges globally and the globalization of capital.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

I agree.  At some point you just have to step back.  It is not like the whole world got it right and the U.S. just simply floundered.  Trump deserves blame and credit.  Unfortunately, this type of situation has really put his character flaws on full display.

And accentuated media douchebaggery

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

He fundamentally changed the tax structure that more or less still exists.  Prior to Reagan, marginal tax rates where in the 70 and 80% range.   Presidents have tweaked them slightly up or down since then but in general they are in a band set by Reagan.   

He also worked to bring down the Soviet Union by ramping arms sales to the point the Soviet Union couldn't keep up the ultimately disintegrated.   This change also signaled the rise of western style market based economies and the surge of stock exchanges globally and the globalization of capital.  

Didn’t he basically destabilize South America, and in a way partly responsible for the “emergency” at the border? Or am I off base here.

• Facepalm 2

14 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

He emptied out the nut houses too, thus giving rise to our homeless epidemic right now.

In California, Reagan only signed a bipartisan bill the Legislature passed that ended most involuntary commitments including for addictions. That reduced patients which caused the closure of the mental institutions.

It was actually both political parties that caused the events that led to the closures.

The Lanterman-Petris-Short Act of 1967 was cosponsored by members of both parties: Assemblyman Frank Lanterman (R), State Senator Nicholas C. Petris (D) and State Senator Alan Short (D). It passed in the Assembly and State Senate with overwhelming support from members of both parties, only a few noes or abstentions.

Many of the arguments in favor of LPS followed political lines. Republicans saw it as a way to cut government spending, Democrats saw it as part of the rights battles of the times.

Sales of sex toys in Denmark have more than doubled after people in the country were told to stay at home to reduce the spread of coronavirus, according to Sinful, the biggest retailer of sex toys in the Nordics.

According to the company, in the first six days of April sales in Denmark rose 110 percent compared to the same period in the previous year. 

This compared to growth of 121 percent in Norway, and relatively lacklustre growth of 78 percent in Sweden. 

Obesity is a major risk factor for those with coronavirus, says France's chief epidemiologist, backing other studies that say obese patients are at greater risk of severe complications and remain contagious nearly twice as long

Being overweight is a major risk factor for people infected with the novel coronavirus, France's chief epidemiologist said on Wednesday.

Professor Jean-François Delfraissy, who heads the scientific council that advises the government on the epidemic, said up to 25 percent of French people are seriously at risk from the virus because of age, pre-existing conditions or obesity.

He added that Americans are particularly at risk because of rising levels of obesity in the US, with currently 42.4 percent of the adult population being severely overweight. 

<snip>

Although it is unclear why obese adults are more contagious, scientists believe it may be that that obesity changes the body's immune response and leads to chronic inflammation.

Obesity has been cited as a possible explanation for higher than average per-capita COVID-19 death rates in New Orleans.  

A CDC report found that six percent of COVID-19 patients with existing conditions die of the virus

The Louisiana health department revealed 97 percent of COVID-19 patients who died had a pre-existing condition

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8200025/Obesity-major-COVID-19-risk-factor-says-French-chief-epidemiologist.html

4 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Just tune into the Q&A portion, Trump going at it with reporters is highly entertaining and the closest thing to sports we have right now...

Reporter: I want to ask you a question on oil. 

Trump: What’s the cost of oil right now?

Reporter: (smirks) I don’t know but I’ll find out.  

Trump: You don’t know the cost of oil, you don’t get to ask a question.  

It is like a game. The press loves asking I gotcha questions and Trump loves phucking with them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Man I learn most of my political knowledge from reading this board, but I still don’t understand why Reagan has such a good reputation. He did some heinous shit that directly affects our lives today.

My young adult life was in the Reagan era. I never felt like he was that special or any different than most presidents. I saw him as the former movie star who some how became president. The old crowd at the time really loved him. I give him credit for wearing down the Russians sufficiently so that the Berlin Wall was finally toppled. And I do have his signature on my college diploma. 😀

7 hours ago, sean327 said:

Reagan and Obama were the best speakers of all the Presidents during my lifetime. I was born in 1965 so my memory of LBJ is little to none, so Im comparing them from Nixon to Trump. Reagan and Obama blow the others out of the water. 

But Clinton felt your pain.

• Haha 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

Early reports that Singapore and HK are seeing a 2nd wave.

Antibodies are low in previously infected people meaning they can get it a 2nd time. Would also indicate herd immunity is a ways off.

One of the Final Five..........

Prestigious scientific panel tells White House coronavirus won't go away with warmer weather

From CNN Health’s Elizabeth Cohen

A prestigious scientific panel told the White House on Tuesday that it doesn't look coronavirus will go away once the weather warms up. 

President Donald Trump has claimed that "when it gets a little warmer [the virus] miraculously goes away." 

In their letter to the White House, members of a National Academy of Sciences committee said data is mixed on whether coronavirus spreads as easily in warm weather as it does in cold weather, but that it might not matter much given that so few people in the world are immune to coronavirus. 

"There is some evidence to suggest that [coronavirus] may transmit less efficiently in environments with higher ambient temperature and humidity; however, given the lack of host immunity globally, this reduction in transmission efficiency may not lead to a significant reduction in disease spread without the concomitant adoption of major public health interventions," the letter stated.

The letter noted, for example, that a study of the outbreak in China showed that even under maximum temperature and humidity conditions, the virus spread "exponentially," with every infected person spreading it to nearly two other people on average.  

The scientists sent the letter to Kelvin Droegemeier at the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy.

The letter from the NAS scientists notes that some laboratory studies have shown reduced transmission of the virus under warmer and more humid conditions, but that it's still a concern.

The letter points out that in the real world, the virus is still transmitting in countries with warm weather. 

"Given that countries currently in 'summer' climates, such as Australia and Iran, are experiencing rapid virus spread, a decrease in cases with increases in humidity and temperature elsewhere should not be assumed," the letter said.

No noticeable drop over the summer

One of the Final Five..........

I just ran across this study from the Kaiser Family Foundation from last week.

They analyzed the percentage of Americans who are at high risk of serious problems if infected with coronavirus.

They defined high risk as people:

• older adults (ages 65 or older, rather than 60 and older)
  • adults between the ages of 18 and 64 with heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), uncontrolled asthma, diabetes, or a BMI greater than 40.

They left out immunocompromised due to not having good data.

First, 37.6% of all US adults over 18 fall into a high risk group. That breaks down into 55% of the high risk population is over 65, 45% under 65.

The study then looks at the percentage of people in a state who fall into a high risk group.

States range from Utah with 30% of the total population in the high risk category to West Virginia at 49%.

https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/issue-brief/how-many-adults-are-at-risk-of-serious-illness-if-infected-with-coronavirus/

• Like 1

So, anyone know when US corporations will start stepping up or will Trump decide to use the Defense Production Act.

Strategic National Stockpile nearly out of coronavirus N95 masks, other protective equipment, HHS says

The Strategic National Stockpile says its supply of N95 respirator masks, surgical masks, face shields, gowns and other medical supplies needed for front-line workers to fight the coronavirus pandemic across the country is nearly depleted.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) told The Associated Press Wednesday that the federal stockpile was in the process of distributing all remaining personal protective equipment in its inventory to state and local governments which will, in turn, pass it down to health care and essential workers who need it. HHS said it will keep a small portion in reserve to support federal response efforts.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/strategic-national-stockpile-nearly-out-coronavirus-n95-masks-other-protective-equipment

• Like 1