bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

40 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Trump is the last man I want leading me through anything, and he’s said some full retard level stuff on the virus, but I’m giving him a pass on this whole thing. It’s a new experience and no one is going to be fully satisfied by America’s reaction no matter R or D. America wasn’t prepared and that doesn’t fall on him.

Plenty of reasons time dislike the guy, but at least he’s come full circle and not calling this a joke anymore.

I agree.  At some point you just have to step back.  It is not like the whole world got it right and the U.S. just simply floundered.  Trump deserves blame and credit.  Unfortunately, this type of situation has really put his character flaws on full display.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mad_Hatter said:

I get that, but what kind of standards need to be incorporated? Yes it’s awfully convenient having a 6 story structure a stones throw away from the hospital, but what kind of standards need to be incorporated regarding floors, HVAC, electrical, sanitation, etc. Are the local contractors equipped for this or should the Army Cops be handling it? (Or are they involved already)

I’d just like to be educated about the situation before I start telling people on campus to STFU about it. IMO at least we have a hospital being pro-active about this and not waiting until they’re already overrun, but on the other hand I hear frontline healthcare workers are about to get taken advantage of on wages. 

The Army Corp of Engineers have been really proactive with identifying locations for field hospitals. They were touring facilities in my town about 2 weeks ago. They have opened 2 in NM. I’ll bet they’ve been scouting Reno for a while.

Saw on the news this morning that China has lifted the lockdown on Wuhan and showed all of the cars of people trying to get out and travel. :(

giphy-44.gif.5ee592f5709ac23f09214d444428d3ed.gif

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

2 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Trump is the last man I want leading me through anything, and he’s said some full retard level stuff on the virus, but I’m giving him a pass on this whole thing. It’s a new experience and no one is going to be fully satisfied by America’s reaction no matter R or D. America wasn’t prepared and that doesn’t fall on him.

Kinda comes with the job though doesn't it. It's on you even if it wasn't anything different another president would have done. You are the president so it falls on your shoulders right or wrong. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Saw on the news this morning that China has lifted the lockdown on Wuhan and showed all of the cars of people trying to get out and travel. :(

giphy-44.gif.5ee592f5709ac23f09214d444428d3ed.gif

Hopefully we still have that racist travel ban in place to keep them from traveling here.  :P

• Like 5

v0icAvfW.jpg

12 hours ago, mugtang said:

You have to credit Gavin Newsome’s quick response for that.  His decision to lock down CA before almost everybody else saved a bunch of lives and likely prevented the CA hospital systems from being overrun. 

12 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

For all the accolades Cuomo has received, Newsom has been the real star during this pandemic.

Newsom better continue to show us all he is a man of action by making the right decisions on reasonable return to a functioning economic and social life in the coming weeks/months. He should be more vocal about the local jurisdictions setting up snitch lines and demanding you proove you are justified in being outside if a cop sees you. I fear he will hold the most extreme orders longer than they need to be held because the business sectors in CA he is in most contact with are sectors that can rely on technology to get by. Hut we'll see. He owned some hospitality businesses himself, so hopefully he understands how much every day of house arrests chokes off hospitality, agriculture and other industries.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

a sobering Facebook post by a nurse:

I haven’t posted a true update in days because I could not find anything positive to say. I tried since Thursday to change my perspective and be a ray of light in this dark time, but I just keep being beat down. I have never seen anything like this before, never taken care of someone that is so healthy but at the same time so deathly sick. I’ve been working in a makeshift ICU for days now because there were no other nurses to staff the area. There are not enough staff even though we get new people daily, not enough experienced staff (because who on earth can be experienced for this level of sick?!), not enough supplies. I can’t count the times I have heard “well we could try and do this but we don’t have this”.

I’m not an ICU nurse at all, but neither is hardly anyone else working these units now. I’ve told Julio Macias 2 days in a row that I want to come home. But he talks me back off the edge each time because he knows how much I would regret leaving because at this point anybody at all helps. So I’m still here. Day 11 is done.*

Of course we can’t share patient info, but being in an ICU setting I am keeping my same patients day after day until they die. No one has left our unit yet except in a body bag. I’ve struggled to find my purpose being here, but strangely enough Julio knew why before I ever did. I have been translating Spanish for days for these people, in my own broken Spanish because anything is better than them understanding nothing. I’ve seen patients arrive on our unit not yet sedated or vented but in extreme respiratory distress and beyond frightened.

I have explained what COVID is doing to their body, what the risks are of being intubated vs not, and I have listened as these people have called their family members for the very last time prior to being intubated. If I can leave here with anything at all, I can know that I helped give them those last moments with their family. After they are sedated, their personal belongings are still there. Their phones still ring. That’s the worst is listening to the phones ring knowing someone is calling and praying they will answer just one more time.

These people are not old. They are young. Many with no medical problems. Strong people, physically fit. One who even worked 5 jobs at a time until Covid ravaged his body. This virus kills people. They all die at some point, it’s just been a game of seeing how long we can keep them half alive. I feel like our efforts are futile, but I still try so hard and get so upset because I know that if it were Julio or anyone in my family laying there I would want the same done.

When their bodies finally give up fighting, we place them in a body bag. I’ve seen hundreds of people die as a nurse, but they are usually surrounded with loved ones or we give family time to see them to say their goodbyes. Not with COVID. There is no closure for anyone in this. I can’t explain to you how bad this hurts, how real this is, and how afraid I am knowing that it could get like this in my own hometowns. *

I can’t make you guys do anything, but I am literally begging you to listen to us healthcare workers and take this seriously. My heart hurts so bad tonight for these families who have lost people entirely too soon, for those who are sick and absolutely terrified, and for all of us who will surely have some form of PTSD after this is over.

:sorry:

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

France is being bludgeoned now. Of the Western countries, France, Italy, and Spain have been hit the hardest. 

Yeah too bad on a per-capita basis we are tracking right along with the worst governed countries in Europe.   Even Greece is managing this on a per-capita basis better than we are.  What is the White House response, blame and fund the CDC so he next pandemic is more likely.

countries.PNG

32 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Kinda comes with the job though doesn't it. It's on you even if it wasn't anything different another president would have done. You are the president so it falls on your shoulders right or wrong. 

I just wish he’d take responsibility sometimes and not always try to take the credit. A good leader takes responsibility sometimes even when it’s not his fault.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

a sobering Facebook post by a nurse:

I haven’t posted a true update in days because I could not find anything positive to say. I tried since Thursday to change my perspective and be a ray of light in this dark time, but I just keep being beat down. I have never seen anything like this before, never taken care of someone that is so healthy but at the same time so deathly sick. I’ve been working in a makeshift ICU for days now because there were no other nurses to staff the area. There are not enough staff even though we get new people daily, not enough experienced staff (because who on earth can be experienced for this level of sick?!), not enough supplies. I can’t count the times I have heard “well we could try and do this but we don’t have this”.

I’m not an ICU nurse at all, but neither is hardly anyone else working these units now. I’ve told Julio Macias 2 days in a row that I want to come home. But he talks me back off the edge each time because he knows how much I would regret leaving because at this point anybody at all helps. So I’m still here. Day 11 is done.*

Of course we can’t share patient info, but being in an ICU setting I am keeping my same patients day after day until they die. No one has left our unit yet except in a body bag. I’ve struggled to find my purpose being here, but strangely enough Julio knew why before I ever did. I have been translating Spanish for days for these people, in my own broken Spanish because anything is better than them understanding nothing. I’ve seen patients arrive on our unit not yet sedated or vented but in extreme respiratory distress and beyond frightened.

I have explained what COVID is doing to their body, what the risks are of being intubated vs not, and I have listened as these people have called their family members for the very last time prior to being intubated. If I can leave here with anything at all, I can know that I helped give them those last moments with their family. After they are sedated, their personal belongings are still there. Their phones still ring. That’s the worst is listening to the phones ring knowing someone is calling and praying they will answer just one more time.

These people are not old. They are young. Many with no medical problems. Strong people, physically fit. One who even worked 5 jobs at a time until Covid ravaged his body. This virus kills people. They all die at some point, it’s just been a game of seeing how long we can keep them half alive. I feel like our efforts are futile, but I still try so hard and get so upset because I know that if it were Julio or anyone in my family laying there I would want the same done.

When their bodies finally give up fighting, we place them in a body bag. I’ve seen hundreds of people die as a nurse, but they are usually surrounded with loved ones or we give family time to see them to say their goodbyes. Not with COVID. There is no closure for anyone in this. I can’t explain to you how bad this hurts, how real this is, and how afraid I am knowing that it could get like this in my own hometowns. *

I can’t make you guys do anything, but I am literally begging you to listen to us healthcare workers and take this seriously. My heart hurts so bad tonight for these families who have lost people entirely too soon, for those who are sick and absolutely terrified, and for all of us who will surely have some form of PTSD after this is over.

:sorry:

That is sad and makes me so angry at the same time that as the greatest country in the world our people are reduced to this state.   

I quite frankly hope NYC condemns Trump tower and builds a Pandemic monument in it's place to go with the 9-11 monument.

Edit for @Broncomare  They can tell the shitty job both Trump and Cuomo did so that people don't forget and elected officials take preparing for this shit more seriously less they become immortalized.

2 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

I’m still in shock someone on his level of stupid was chosen to lead.. But I also think if Obama was president he would have made mistakes, just different ones. Or he’d be getting crucified for our lack of preparedness.

Yeah perhaps.  No one can say for sure what would have happened.   What is clear is the US is among the worst countries on a per-capita basis in the western world.  Those are the facts and should be considered when viewing our response.  If not for the timely actions of Newsom, and the many Asian based companies who shut down a week before Newsom's order, we would almost certainly be the worst.

I won't lump in China and Iran and the like because no one trusts their numbers.  

16 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah too bad on a per-capita basis we are tracking right along with the worst governed countries in Europe.   Even Greece is managing this on a per-capita basis better than we are.  What is the White House response, blame and fund the CDC so he next pandemic is more likely.

countries.PNG

I’m talking about the death rate. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

That is sad and makes me so angry at the same time that as the greatest country in the world our people are reduced to this state.   

I quite frankly hope NYC condemns Trump tower and builds a Pandemic monument in it's place to go with the 9-11 monument.

JFC - you can't lay ALL of this at Trump's feet.  Yes, he's made some errors but he has done some things right.   The only person I can think of, that may have had a better grip on this is Maddog.  A lot of this is like military strategy.  Do you blame Trump when you can't take a dump in the morning???  

down in a hole.jpg

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/825479416/new-yorks-coronavirus-deaths-may-level-off-soon-when-might-your-state-s-peak

another projected death forecast model by state.

Its odd to me that it predicts states like Utah (182 deaths) and Idaho (69) low but states like Nevada (900+) and New Mexico (600+) are so high?

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I can’t stand to listen to that moron. I tried to make it through a part of his presser the other day and I just couldn’t take it. 

Yeah I just stopped listening.  At first I wanted to hear what he had to say but it was filled so much with self congratulation and falsehood that I just stopped.  I think the press is sick of it also as yesterday was supposedly one of the worse days.   Given your libertarian bent I am a bit surprised you have not commented on Trump's Latin American dictator actions:

• The President sparked fresh fears about his capacity to properly oversee previous rescue packages and those to come when it emerged he had removed Defense Department Inspector General Glenn Fine from a post monitoring the stimulus funds.
  • The move prompted Democrats to warn that Trump is seeking to oversee the package himself. Trump had already warned he will ignore a provision in the bill requiring the special inspector general to report to Congress on the handling of the funds.
  • His dismissal of Fine was the latest swipe against the structures of government meant to hold him accountable -- that peaked with his defiance of the impeachment inquiry.
  • On Monday, Trump personally attacked a Health and Human Services inspector general who uncovered massive shortages of vital protective equipment at hospitals battling Covid-19.
  • On Friday night, the President fired the intelligence community inspector general who alerted lawmakers to a report about his pressure on Ukraine to dig up dirt on his Democratic foe Joe Biden.

20 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

JFC - you can't lay ALL of this at Trump's feet.  Yes, he's made some errors but he has done some things right.   The only person I can think of, that may have had a better grip on this is Maddog.  A lot of this is like military strategy.  Do you blame Trump when you can't take a dump in the morning???  

That's fair Cuomo is at least as bad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

:blink: Is that a thing?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I get the feeling Retro puts a Trump mask on in the bedroom and asks his wife to +++++ him in the ass with a strap-on so "Trump knows what it feels like". 

Even guys as debauched as joe can't help but imagine that someone, somewhere is having hotter sex than they are

• Haha 8

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

39 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I just wish he’d take responsibility sometimes and not always try to take the credit. A good leader takes responsibility sometimes even when it’s not his fault.

The problem is Trump has no idea how to lead, hell he can’t even delegate correctly. The best thing he could’ve done once he formed his Corona Task Force would’ve been to get out of the damn way and let Pence run the show. 

• Like 7