bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

18 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Have they designated someone to stand in for the PM?

Just doing some quick googles, and it looks like there actually isn’t currently a line of succession for the PM position in the UK. Sounds like the Conservative party would just have to elect a new leader who would become the PM. Kind of crazy, although I wonder if this will prompt them to come up with a line of succession moving forward.

46 minutes ago, Bob said:

So. Incredible.

You'll never get those experiences you lost back. All so a few old people, who've gotten to live their lives ,can sit in nursing home for 2.1333 more years before passing away.

Blah blah blah "Death Panels!" something something

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Steve Hilton: To save all lives in the coronavirus crisis, we must slow the spread, but speed the shutdown

If we truly want to save lives -- all lives -- then we need to do two things: Slow the spread but speed the shutdown. It must end as soon as safely possible. But that means we need a better antivirus policy than we have right now.

Last week, I said, open where possible, close where necessary. Shutdowns do slow the spread. Look at the difference between the Bay Area which had the nation's first stay-at-home orders and New York City.

So right now, in the absence of a better antivirus policy, it is necessary to shut things down everywhere, and that includes Utah, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, South Carolina, where there are no statewide stay-at-home orders.

Now, I'm asking those governors, including a great friend of this show, Iowa's Kim Reynolds, to put in place a stay-at-home order at least for the duration of President Trump's slow the spread guidelines.

Of course, that will take a high toll in those states and on our country and jobs, businesses, livelihoods and lives. Remember, this is not a choice between public health and the economy, between lives and money. The shutdown costs lives, too.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/steve-hilton-to-save-all-lives-in-the-coronavirus-crisis-we-must-slow-the-spread-but-speed-the-shutdown

11 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Just doing some quick googles, and it looks like there actually isn’t currently a line of succession for the PM position in the UK. Sounds like the Conservative party would just have to elect a new leader who would become the PM. Kind of crazy, although I wonder if this will prompt them to come up with a line of succession moving forward.

It looks like Johnson has his Foreign Secretary standing in for the time being.

As you indicate, unlike the US they do not have a set line of succession for continuity of gov

They love to call for elections. Those crazy Brits 

One of the Final Five..........

1 hour ago, Bob said:

So. Incredible.

You'll never get those experiences you lost back. All so a few old people, who've gotten to live their lives ,can sit in nursing home for 2.1333 more years before passing away.

In New York the median age of those who have died so far has been between 70 and 75.

The same age as the President.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Now as per Nevada state law you both have to cough at the same time while taking each other's temperature with a rectal thermometer. :ph34r: 

That’s how you get corona 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

These are always interesting takes.  I have no crystal ball about deaths from the virus or how economies will rebound, but it is interesting how everyone goes with the most dire consequences when it comes to projecting the virus impact and the most Pollyanna opinion possible when it comes to the economy's recovery.  A swift recovery is anything but assured at this point.

It is going the opposite of "tens of millions have no jobs and the economy is ruined",  only I added some qualifiers.  Which is an equally interesting take with dire consequences for one argument and pollyana opinion on some notion of a economy that sees no effects, but for shelter-in-place policy.

Now what is the rhetorical difference here?  Well, I at least put qualifiers in there, as optimistic as they were.  

25 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Utah doesn't have a stay at home order, but 3 of the 4 counties with the largest population have them so its pretty much the same

Yep, but an interesting view from Fox's Steve Hilton. And a changing viewpoint from him.

Just a few week's ago Hilton was in the "isolate only the old people and protect the economy" group. Now he is calling for all of the country to shut down.

39 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Utah doesn't have a stay at home order, but 3 of the 4 counties with the largest population have them so its pretty much the same

Social distancing is working here.  I challenge anyone to convince me why a more rigorous statewide shutdown is necessary.  I’m not convinced it will do much above and beyond what the state is doing now.  The spread rate is pretty controlled and constant at this point.  Only 5% of people getting tested are positive.  The death rate is low.  The Stay Home Stay Safe policy is generally effective.  As you point out, where stricter measures are needed they are in place.  Overall, I think Utah is going to weather this fairly well - some of that is attributed to favorable demographics though with a younger population.

v0icAvfW.jpg

7 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Social distancing is working here.  I challenge anyone to convince me why a more rigorous statewide shutdown is necessary.  I’m not convinced it will do much above and beyond what the state is doing now.  The spread rate is pretty controlled and constant at this point.  Only 5% of people getting tested are positive.  The death rate is low.  The Stay Home Stay Safe policy is generally effective.  As you point out, where stricter measures are needed they are in place.  Overall, I think Utah is going to weather this fairly well - some of that is attributed to favorable demographics though with a younger population.

In states with low densities besides the cities, I agree, counties should dictate, and if the infections are low, then stress caution, but no order.  I hope most states shift from state to regional orders soon.  I would still highly, highly stress for elderly and susceptible to be extremely cautious, regardless of location.

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

In states with low densities besides the cities, I agree, counties should dictate, and if the infections are low, then stress caution, but no order.  I hope most states shift from state to regional orders soon.  I would still highly, highly stress for elderly and susceptible to be extremely cautious, regardless of location.

In MT, most of the cases are in Gallatin and Yellowstone, with a higher-than-average number in Toole...I don't see why most counties can't have freedom of movement, while shutting down the places like Gallatin (Bozeman), Missoula, etc. 

8 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

In MT, most of the cases are in Gallatin and Yellowstone, with a higher-than-average number in Toole...I don't see why most counties can't have freedom of movement, while shutting down the places like Gallatin (Bozeman), Missoula, etc. 

I wonder if it is a fear that the counties on lockdown will have their population start heading to the non-shelter counties and bring their infections there.