bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

Yes, Bob, there are doctors who have reported having some success with it. That is what is meant when we refer to it as "anecdotal evidence," which is remarkably different from clinical trials. As has been explained. A lot.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Yes, Bob, there are doctors who have reported having some success with it. That is what is meant when we refer to it as "anecdotal evidence," which is remarkably different from clinical trials. As has been explained. A lot.

Are u sure? I found some great anecdotal evidence to cure cancer!

https://m.economictimes.com/industry/healthcare/biotech/healthcare/cow-urine-to-be-used-in-medicines-and-treatment-of-cancer-health-minister-ashwini-choubey/articleshow/71030985.cms

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bob said:

So that's why all the models are being adjusted? lmfao. models are smart, models never make mistakes. durrrrr

Models constantly need to be adjusted based on new data. Are you honestly this freaking stupid? Preventative measures have been taken, social distancing has been put into place, schools have been moved to distance learning, non-essential businesses have been temporarily closed. As a direct result of this, the rate of exponential growth has diminished. Use your goddamned brain for once in your life, you mindless rube.

• Like 2
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

1 minute ago, Bob said:

So that's why all the models are being adjusted? lmfao. models are smart, models never make mistakes. durrrrr

Apparently #mathishard for you. If you knew anything of statistics, you'd know that "models" are dynamic. New data = new results.

Why do you have such a difficult time admitting that social distancing is working?

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Apparently #mathishard for you. If you knew anything of statistics, you'd know that "models" are dynamic. New data = new results.

Why do you have such a difficult time admitting that social distancing is working?

Because it doesn't fit with his narrative that this wasn't ever a big deal to begin with. He's been brainwashed by idiots like Rush Limbaugh, so it's not like we can expect anything even resembling critical thinking skills from him.

• Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

Yo, retard, the models are being adjusted downward based on THE SAME social distancing measures. Nothing's changed except the OPINION being offered. Oh, so like the models were wrong to begin with? But, but, but but, but, but they were based on math and shit! infallible, I tell you!

The DATA has changed, so models are adjusted. Models were built without knowing exactly the effect that social distancing would have over a long period of time. Now that there's more data available, the models can be adjusted accordingly to give more accurate results that incorporate everything that we know now. 

Honestly, I don't get how the +++++ someone can be as dimwitted as you are. Honestly, you're surpassing Convert at this point. I can't be bothered with your dumbassery anymore.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Oh, so it's financial ruin you speak of? Is this the only metric you value in quality of life?

He's already been on record that the only thing that matters to him is the economy. Nevermind the fact that if we did nothing, the economy likely would have cratered, just in a different way. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

Yeah, the data being that the virus is nowhere nearly as dangerous as made out to be, or social distancing is nowhere effective as said to be. Who was responsible for assigning the those values in the model? The person who developed the model, who didn't know what the +++++ they were talking about. You are so +++++ing stupid.

This might be helpful to you.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/statistics-probability

I take back the shit I've said about Convert's mental acuity, he's damn near a genius in comparison to you.

edit: have fun with the idiot button, as it's about the only retort that you have left.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Bob said:

No, you can also think of the cumulative effect of missed experiences that, you know, make us human. Graduations cancelled, education missed, family vacations foregone, children's' activities that never happened, also likely tons of needless worrying and suffering , hell look at halfman, he's scared shitless and overcome with grief. That shit didn't need to happen. Suicides are likly going to spike, which considering the considerable number of those, yeah it's a big blow to human quality of life.

BOB! How about the incredible experience we are all currently sharing? 

My oldest son will miss his college graduation. My daughter is the valedictorian of her class and will probably miss her graduation and the opportunity to deliver her speech. Yes, it's disappointing that we will miss these occasions but the memory of what we, the whole world, is currently experiencing will be with us much longer than any foregone family moments.

And yes, there will be some tragedy and no doubt some suicide as a result of this pandemic.

None of us are prescient. You don't agree with the current social distancing measures because you're worried about the damage to our economy. However, you seem unwilling to admit or even consider that things may have become even worse for the economy if we had not undertaken these measures.

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

BOB! How about the incredible experience we are all currently sharing? 

My oldest son will miss his college graduation. My daughter is the valedictorian of her class and will probably miss her graduation and the opportunity to deliver her speech. Yes, it's disappointing that we will miss these occasions but the memory of what we, the whole world, is currently experiencing will be with us much longer than any foregone family moments.

And yes, there will be some tragedy and no doubt some suicide as a result of this pandemic.

None of us are prescient. You don't agree with the current social distancing measures because you're worried about the damage to our economy. However, you seem unwilling to admit or even consider that things may have become even worse for the economy if we had not undertaken these measures.

No kidding....

I missed my Collegiate Hall of Fame induction..

My kids both missed their High School Hall of Fame induction

My son may well have missed out participating in the Tokyo Olympics

But guess what, had the trade off been losing my wife, their mother, to Covid we are pretty much all happy to deal with the consequences.

• Like 2

Maybe those making the scary model predictions should come with a disclaimer that these predictions are based on very limited data and may not be as catastrophic as predicted. But we still request people practice distancing because we don’t really know what the impacts of this virus are going to be. In other words try and be truthful instead of trying to scare the shit out of people. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bob said:

So, just what I said, dipshit?

48 minutes ago, Bob said:

The richness of you calling someone else in this thread - well, anyone else in this thread - a "dipshit" while stating what you did in your very next post stands on its own.

And we applaud you for that, Bob... After all, you just demonstrated an ability to type a semi-legible statement and submit it - twice. We're proud of you Big Guy.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

42 minutes ago, retrofade said:

He's already been on record that the only thing that matters to him is the economy. Nevermind the fact that if we did nothing, the economy likely would have cratered, just in a different way. 

There are three people I turn to for financial advice. One is a middle-manager for a Fortune 100 company who gets to regularly takes part in leadership calls with senior members of the Fed. Another is my former broker and soon-to-retire EVP at Merrill. The third is a partner at one of the Big Four. 

Based on the projections in the absence of mitigation strategies, the first projected another 25-40% drop in the markets from their low of two weeks ago. The second estimated a 25% drop from current levels if we were able to effectively reduce fatalities by 80% from worst-case scenarios. And the modeling by the third's company expects as much as another 28% drop even with (some of) the mitigation strategies implemented.

What exactly do these anti-science boneheads think would have been the economic impact had we done nothing and realized 30000-50000 deaths a day over a two week period? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Most are temporarily out of jobs.  Millions will be back at their regular job when shelter-in-place is over.  Which may be sooner than originally predicted.  The majority of Americans taking precautionary measures may very well be the reason.  If the stimulus bill stays in place, citizens, corporations and small business alike can be able to rebound very quickly.  Perhaps continuing to do what is being done is the right move for the economy.

These are always interesting takes.  I have no crystal ball about deaths from the virus or how economies will rebound, but it is interesting how everyone goes with the most dire consequences when it comes to projecting the virus impact and the most Pollyanna opinion possible when it comes to the economy's recovery.  A swift recovery is anything but assured at this point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

These are always interesting takes.  I have no crystal ball about deaths from the virus or how economies will rebound, but it is interesting how everyone goes with the most dire consequences when it comes to projecting the virus impact and the most Pollyanna opinion possible when it comes to the economy's recovery.  A swift recovery is anything but assured at this point.

Likewise those who seem to disagree with the current social distancing measures won't admit the possibility of things becoming much worse for the economy in the long term if the virus isn't controlled.