bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

21 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

With the world population approaching 8 billion people and putting a strain on the earths resources, maybe Mother Nature is stepping in and doing what humans refuse to do. 

21 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Sure looks that way. We've been long overdue. 

Let it rain. 

A missed opportunity to shore up Social Security.

• Cheers 2
110926run_defense710.jpg

It will be interesting to see how big of a baby boom we are going to have when this is all over. Due to the sheer size of our population we have seen a decline in birth rates the last several years, but I fully expect to see a sharp increase at the beginning of next year. If that happens then in 4-5 years from now we are going to see a huge teacher shortage that is worse than what we have now. I'll probably be teaching face to face and online by that time. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

16 hours ago, retrofade said:

Georgia's governor issued a shelter in place order earlier this week, and now today he just re-opened their beaches.

I'm confused.

As long as the beach isn't crowded, no risk of spread.  Moderate exercise is good physically and mentally.

I brought a granddaughter to see her mom and baby brother in Stockton.  Although I couldn't find anything definite for San Joaquin County, stricter Bay Area counties allow child custody / visitation.  The mom and me agreed the safest thing to do was to keep our distance at 6 feet and meet at a park instead of going into her apartment.  At the nearest park, there were 6 officers on bikes asking people to leave the park.  I understand closing playground equipment, picnic tables and the like, but I fail to see the harm in letting people hang out on benches or the lawn, as long as adequate distance is maintained.  We went for a walk, stopped and sat on a flower bed brick wall and ate lunch.  The group of officers on bikes went by.  One officer said we couldn't sit there, but another just asked us to move when we were done eating.  They were nice and respectful, just doing there job. In our case, it seemed to be a good balance between common sense while still protecting the public.  As for the park, I am sure the directive came down to close the park.

110926run_defense710.jpg

I wonder how many lives will be saved vs deaths due to poor ventilator design and construction.  I have a hard time seeing how all the bugs will be worked out with these new ventilator designs.  It will be sad to see a ventilator pop someone’s lungs because of a lack of FDA oversight and adherence to GMPs.

22 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

With the world population approaching 8 billion people and putting a strain on the earths resources, maybe Mother Nature is stepping in and doing what humans refuse to do. 

are you arguing that coronavirus is good because we stupidly stopped holocausting each other?

• Haha 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I have no idea where this post belongs but the future of free trade is certainly going to be an issue.   Just as many are concerned about the Chinese government preventing medical supplies from coming to the US, Europe has the same concerns but the target of their ire is the US.   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-52161995

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

are you arguing that coronavirus is good because we stupidly stopped holocausting each other?

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that every species has a finite quantity and when that maximum nears, nature has a way of adjusting.

• Like 3

Boom goes the dynamite.

Does anyone have a link or information on normal daily death rates.  I am curious how much the daily deaths are going up in total, vs the mix of C19 vs other diseases.  I wonder if some of those other disease death counts are steady, up, or down.

110926run_defense710.jpg

54 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I have no idea where this post belongs but the future of free trade is certainly going to be an issue.   Just as many are concerned about the Chinese government preventing medical supplies from coming to the US, Europe has the same concerns but the target of their ire is the US.   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-52161995

would you trust trump?  I would not

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

According to this guy, time to restart the economy while taking mitigation steps, or at least start the task force.  He makes some good points.

He makes some good points, but we are probably 2-3 weeks too early. The positive tests and death count are still rising. On restart extensive testing and tracing are necessary to minimize a second surge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

Does anyone have a link or information on normal daily death rates.  I am curious how much the daily deaths are going up in total, vs the mix of C19 vs other diseases.  I wonder if some of those other disease death counts are steady, up, or down.

http://www.91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

whoops sorry mis read your request.   You want Covid versus normal.  My bad. 

Now this is interesting. There could be a genetic factor with some people more susceptible. We already know in cats the coronavirus (an older one) turns lethal in cats with certain genes. It results in FIP, feline infectious peritonitis.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/health/young-people-dying-coronavirus-sanjay-gupta/index.html

Also interesting because premature infants have a lack of surfactant and there are treatments for that. Maybe that's an Avenue in treatment they should explore 

One possibility is a gene variation in the ACE2 gene. ACE2 is an enzyme that that attaches to the outer surface of cells in the lungs, as well as the heart. In an article in Science magazine, Immunologist Dr. Philip Murphy of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said that "variations in the ACE2 gene that alter the receptor could make it easier or harder for the virus to get into lung cells."

It is also possible that a critical ingredient produced by the body, known as surfactant, which better allows the lungs to expand and contract, becomes depleted in some patients infected with the coronavirus. If you think of your lungs as a sponge, surfactant would be the detergent which would make them soft and pliable. Without surfactant, however, your lung becomes stiff and hard to squeeze. It may be why some patients continue to struggle even on a breathing machine.

One of the Final Five..........