bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You highlighted in bold a paragraph with 3 points.  Was it this part you found issue with "Thinking he could have convinced this nation to adopt policies that MAYBE, MAYBE would have prevented social distancing measure another month, is dumb."?

I am unable to, given the context your provided, ascertain which of the three points in that paragraph you take objection to, or if you take objection to all three.  I am sure that is more me being tired as hell and less you being clear in your context.  

Didn't parse it to that level of detail tbh. :shrug: And to be frank, I really don't get the context of the sentence you quoted. No offense, but it's kind of obtuse. 

But if I understand it correctly, then yes, the federal government could have enacted policies that would have effectively slowed the early stage transmission and therefore slowed the timeline for enacting stay-at-home orders.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am scared at the rate in which we are embracing our liberties being removed.  But I also have an understanding, should we not embrace it now, we would be looking at a scenario in which we are begging the government to remove said liberties in 5 months.  This is complete shit.  All of it.  In a perfect world everybody would be on the same page, we would voluntarily and with high hearts impose these measure on ourselves instead of not having them mandated.  Sadly, we needed them mandated because we are not so selfless.  It is +++++ed.  It is all +++++ed.

You and I both brother. I have no doubt there are nefarious actors who would love nothing more than to capitalize on our disjoint nature. Shit, we have an entire carrier offline at the moment. One battle at a time. 

5 minutes ago, toonkee said:

3 weeks ago? lol.  Trump was still saying no big deal, see everybody at Easter and wutabout the flu 4 days ago.

Again for the 400th time, not my argument and not the general.    

Go ahead, keep on making up your own definition of what could be done, and then saying we can't do that to so you can absolve Trump and all our leadership.

No, Trump started taking this seriously about 3 weeks ago.  He mentioned getting us up and running again by Easter, which was, for the record, +++++ing stupid but that does not, that single statement, make lie to the actions, severe actions, being recommended, embraced and instituted at the highest level.  Look at what we are doing.  We are treating this very seriously, now and far to late.  But we are now.  And we have been for weeks.   

Your vehemence with me is misplaced.  Read my posts. I am not trying to absolve Trump.  I am trying to put it in perspective.  Trump need be held accountable.  I have said that what now, 7 times in the past 8 pages?  You just do not like the rest of what I have to say.  You like an easy target and I present things that make it less easy for you to direct blame, which removes you from the comfort of having one single direction to rage at.  That is why you are angry at me in disproportion to the context of my posts.   

On 4/1/2020 at 7:36 AM, mugtang said:

Sorry didn’t mean to out you like that.  

But yeah that would be bad considering where you work is exceptionally vital.  Hopefully you guys are taking every precaution possible. 

Nailed it... Now I can watch the construction from my office window. Along with all the damn helicopters coming in. 

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/04/03/renown-health-converting-parking-garage-into-hospital-rooms/2941718001/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

3 weeks ago? lol.  Trump was still saying no big deal, see everybody at Easter and wutabout the flu 4 days ago.

Again for the 400th time, not my argument and not the general.    

Go ahead, keep on making up your own definition of what could be done, and then saying we can't do that to so you can absolve Trump and all our leadership.

Also, kindly read what I am actually writing.  Absolve all our leadership?  Nay.  Not so.  I am the only one wanting to put blame equally on our leadership where blame should be laid.  I am just not as stupid as some, and realize what our best and brightest are telling us.  And have continued  to tell us. Which is ignored by those with an actual blinding bias.  

26 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

You and I both brother. I have no doubt there are nefarious actors who would love nothing more than to capitalize on our disjoint nature. Shit, we have an entire carrier offline at the moment. One battle at a time. 

I got into a verbal argument over the phone with my father last night whether gun stores should be considered essential business. He thinks they aren't essential, I argued they are.   

• Like 1

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

53 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

I got into a verbal argument over the phone with my father last night whether gun stores should be considered essential business. He thinks they aren't essential, I argued they are.   

Lots of afraid and very panicked people. Who knows what people will do if they get desperate enough. 

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Lots of afraid and very panicked people. Who knows what people will do if they get desperate enough. 

Our local law enforcement has made a public statement (phucking idiotic in my opinion) they will not respond to certain crimes such as shoplifting, theft, theft from vehicle, vandalism, and vandalism of vehicle. In the last week our community has seen a spike in auto thefts, break ins, and shoplifting. It's getting to the point where I don't feel comfortable leaving my home unattended for longer than 15 minutes. LA county ordered all gun stores to be closed, but our county has remained open. Our sheriff is pro 2A so I hope he keeps it that way.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

12 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Speak for yourself, Hoss. I might as well have legally hanged my name to Cassandra by late January. :ph34r:

I’ll tip my cap to you on that. Although this early thread shows the mood of the posters, and probably the country, were as flippant about it as the government was.

Although for a Cassandra there is a good deal of silence between this post and your first post mentioning coronavirus explicitly on March 3rd, which to be fair was a week ahead of our federal and state governments. I hope you got your money out in time Senator :foottap:

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

So the question we all want to have answered ... after "surviving" COVID-19, are we then immune to catching it again with a second wave? As of today there are no concrete answers as researchers are tackling this question around the globe. Here's an article from TIME giving some hope that survivors may develop antibodies that could last for a couple of years but that estimate is based on what happened with SARS:

https://time.com/5810454/coronavirus-immunity-reinfection/

If this shit has the ability to quickly reinfect people with a stronger second wave, we're in big trouble on both the health and economic fronts. Hopefully Big Pharma will turn their collective focus from things like erectile dysfunction and plaque psoriasis to life preserving treatments and vaccines for COVID-19. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

18 hours ago, toonkee said:

I see a wide disconnect of between those that want to excuse trump and those that want to charge him with some sort of negligence.

Everyone is talking past each other. We're not arguing the same thing.

I think I speak for a lot of the "Trump was somewhat negligent crowd" when I say in no way do we think he, or anyone, could have stopped the virus from doing it's thing and that is all that matters.  Nobody believes that.

We're saying he could have got the machine started up a lot earlier and in fact actually played a part in preventing it from getting going earlier. So, if you disagree with that, argue it, but please stop inferring we think he had the power to stop the virus.  Nobody thinks that.

God I’m hoping we don’t have this argument for the length of the CoronaVirus.   

it’s basically this: 

Never Trumpers:  Trump failed to respond or plan for far too long

Trumpers:  Nobody could stop this virus and if Trump says its perfect I believe every he says....

repeat ad infinitum

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sean327 said:

The usual suspects here don’t care. Constitution? Can’t let that get in the way because itS FuR mUh SaFty and tHe gReAtEr GoOd....

You do know Fresno is a very conservative town and the Trump administration has been pushing for this policy point so they don’t have to release illegals.   

so not sure who the usual suspects are but this violation of rights comes from the right wing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/judicial/489599-covid-19-bill-barr-and-the-american-authoritarian-tradition%3Famp

18 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Google posted today what I think is much better mobility data showing the change in movement behavior in different counties, states, and countries.

Instead of simply identifying a change in total movement, Google looks at the percentage change over the last few weeks in location data from several location categories:

• retail and recreation,
  • groceries and pharmacies,
  • parks,
  • transit stations,
  • workplaces,
  • and residential.

I think that is a better way to identify behavior change instead of just travel distance. It accounts for the longer distances some areas may have to reach essentials.

The data is at this link. Select the US (or another country) then select an individual state for the US. County level data is part of each state's pdf.

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

For example, here is California. It shows a 50% reduction in location data at restaurants/retail/entertainment/etc statewide; a 24% reduction from locations like groceries/farmers markets/etc; and reductions from other locations except for residences which has an increase. Then there are 30 pages of individual county graphs.

https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2020-03-29_US_California_Mobility_Report_en.pdf

Thanks for sharing. 

Just a casual comparison by myself and my county of Stanislaus vs. wealthier counties of Alameda and my workplace of Contra Costa.

The wealthier counties had a steeper drop in most categories.  I wonder if wealthier communities have the ability to stock up more, pay higher prices for delivery of groceries, restaurant food, supplies.

White collar jobs are a better fit for working from home.  Stanislaus County is heavy Agricultural production and I suspect is essential. 

Those two Bay area counters had a 2/3 reduction related to transportation centers, versus less than 1/3 here in Stanislaus County. My hunch is people in the Bay area take transit more out of convenience than necessity.

Edit: I just checked the county my cabin is located in Wisconsin, that rural county is doing as good or even better than California and the wealthy counties of Contra Costa and Alameda.  Much better information, analysis, and depth in those Google mobility documents then the information that Sactowndog posted.  Making this a red vs. blue issue is bovine fetulence.

110926run_defense710.jpg

35 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Thanks for sharing.  Just a casual comparison by myself and my county of Stanislaus vs. wealthier counties of Alameda and my workplace of Contra Costa. The wealthier counties had a steeper drop in most categories.  I wonder if wealthier communities have the ability to stock up more, pay higher prices for delivery of groceries, restaurant food, supplies.  White collar jobs are a better fit for working from home.  Stanislaus County is heavy Agricultural production and I suspect is essential.  Also, those two Bay area counters had a 2/3 reduction related to transportation centers, versus less than 1/3 here in Stanislaus County. My hunch is people in the Bay area take transit more out of convenience than necessity.

You don’t think any of it is related to church going members who have Pooh-poohed this thing and in some cases still do?  Or the right wingers who still parrot Trumps original message that it is no worse than the flu?   +++++ read this board for the endless stream of its no big deal still from right wingers here.

We sheltered in place and watched church online a couple weeks before Newsom’s order and our pastor made some comment about faithful Christians attending church.  I hear right wing minimization every day including from one family I know who’s child is immune compromised from Luekemia treatments.  

8 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I’ll tip my cap to you on that. Although this early thread shows the mood of the posters, and probably the country, were as flippant about it as the government was.

Although for a Cassandra there is a good deal of silence between this post and your first post mentioning coronavirus explicitly on March 3rd, which to be fair was a week ahead of our federal and state governments. I hope you got your money out in time Senator :foottap:

I was sounding the alarm mainly within my circle of family and friends, colleagues, and what few healthcare workers I know.

As far as money is concerned, I didn't go to a cash position until 2-3 weeks ago, by which time I had already taken about a 30% loss just like most people (however, I plan on reestablishing positions in the relative near term).

Thanks for finding that post tho. :cheers:

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Thanks for sharing. 

Just a casual comparison by myself and my county of Stanislaus vs. wealthier counties of Alameda and my workplace of Contra Costa.

The wealthier counties had a steeper drop in most categories.  I wonder if wealthier communities have the ability to stock up more, pay higher prices for delivery of groceries, restaurant food, supplies.

White collar jobs are a better fit for working from home.  Stanislaus County is heavy Agricultural production and I suspect is essential. 

Those two Bay area counters had a 2/3 reduction related to transportation centers, versus less than 1/3 here in Stanislaus County. My hunch is people in the Bay area take transit more out of convenience than necessity.

Edit: I just checked the county my cabin is located in Wisconsin, that rural county is doing as good or even better than California and the wealthy counties of Contra Costa and Alameda.  Much better information, analysis, and depth in those Google mobility documents then the information that Sactowndog posted.  Making this a red vs. blue issue is bovine fetulence.

Dude for the record I was making it a when the shelter in place order was issued.  And generally shelter in place orders have been more slowly in acted in Southern States.   

You are the one trying to ascribe underlying reasons for that behavior with your comprehensive list of underlying causes.

9 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Perspective:

According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States.

As of today there have been 7896 total deaths from the Corona virus

So it is possible, as the virus accelerates, that more people will be dying a day one thing than all the other causes of death combined.  hmm perspective.  It was certainly killing more in Italy and Spain a day than all other causes combined.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Perspective:

According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States.

More perspective:

3,000 Americans died from 9-11

Why do you feel the need to downplay this?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Perspective:

Perspective:

Over 2,500 of those deaths occurred within the last 24 hours. and nearly half of them over the past 48.

By comparison, between 90 and 100 Americans die every day from car accidents.

Perspective:

Over the last week, COVID-19 has killed an average of 3,857 people each day, making it more deadly now than any other disease on the planet:

Screen-Shot-2020-04-04-at-10-06-33-AM.pn

• Like 2