bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Even in a deadly crisis partisan politics are on full display. A house divided shall not stand. The great human experiment is failing before our very eyes. Our founders are turning over in their graves. 

You think that democracy is failing because people are disagreeing?

Ya sure you ever got the point of it in the first place?

• Cheers 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I talked to my buddy who is an assistant DA in Fresno County today.

With court closed, if you are in custody, you stay in custody.  So there goes that constitutional right to a speedy trial.  Not only that, but you stay in jail where Covid is absolutely a legitimate concern.

No one seems to care about any of that.  Everyone is just locked up in their 4 bed 3 bath house shouting "stop the virus"!  

Goddamit, what the hell is wrong with us?  

This feels just like 911 in the sense that I am seeing things I never thought I would see in my lifetime.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Same reason the Montana hot spot is Gallatin County right now. Ski traffic. 

That and Blaine County has a high concentration of celebrities and corporate executive types with cabins and second homes. The number of private jets flying in and out of the Hailey airport is crazy sometimes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

With court closed, if you are in custody, you stay in custody.  So there goes that constitutional right to a speedy trial.  Not only that, but you stay in jail where Covid is absolutely a legitimate concern.

No one seems to care about any of that.  Everyone is just locked up in their 4 bed 3 bath house shouting "stop the virus"!  

This feels just like 911 in the sense that I am seeing things I never thought I would see in my lifetime.

Well that will teach em for selling that half ounce of weed!

3 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

The usual suspects here don’t care. Constitution? Can’t let that get in the way because itS FuR mUh SaFty and tHe gReAtEr GoOd....

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is hard to do when certain posters are saying the blame is on the hands of everybody who voted for Trump....

That is messed up, and I hope they (she really) understands that.

There are posters literally saying half of this board have blood on their hands.

That rhetoric needs to stop.  Now.  

:lol: little sensitive huh?

No ones blaming you, they're blaming Trump.

We all just wonder why you and others constantly feel the need to defend him.

:shrug: WTF?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sean327 said:

The usual suspects here don’t care. Constitution? Can’t let that get in the way because itS FuR mUh SaFty and tHe gReAtEr GoOd....

There is a second group.  People like me.  People who fully understand what we are giving up with so little resistance.  It terrifies me.  But for now, I will go along with it.  I do not know how we as a society could look at ourselves should the worst case come to pass.  If we had let a few million die, we would be giving up our rights at an even faster pace under the promises of "never again".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

That and Blaine County has a high concentration of celebrities and corporate executive types with cabins and second homes. The number of private jets flying in and out of the Hailey airport is crazy sometimes. 

I flew a Bonanza in there once, phuckers made me tie down all the way in the back :foottap:

6 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

A friend of mine is a corrections officer at the Fresno City jail downtown and a few days ago she got a parking ticket because she didn't pay the meter even though she is considered an essential worker. There is no designated parking for staff, so the only 2 options they have are to pay the meter every 2 hours during her shift or park at the parking garage 3 blocks down that is no longer patrolled and supervised when she gets off at 3am. Several nurses and officers have received citations and are mailing their tickets to the mayor's office saying they won't pay it. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Again, I am placing blame on Trump.  Where am I defending him?  What the god damn World Health Organization says carries weight.  It carries weight with governors and policy makers.  It carried weight in Europe.  When the world looks to one organization for truth in such matters, it matters.  Our intelligence agencies alerted to the possibility of a pandemic, and Trump should be held accountable for not taking a worst case scenario approach as would have been prudent.  However nobody in the West did.  We are judging Trump with the benefit of hindsight, which is both fair and not fair.  We are STILL not sold on the measure being taken.  Still.  With all the data, the destruction.  

I know I would have been pissed had Trump taken measures to trace contacts that violate my goddamn rights at the time.  As would many democrats because it was Trump doing it.  Trump would have needed to build a case for why such unconstitutional measures were needed.  Building that case is far above his capacity.  

Blaming him for the CDC following their SoP's, is dumb.  Blaming him for a lack of ability to manufacture and produce medical equipment, is dumb.  Thinking he could have convinced this nation to adopt policies that MAYBE, MAYBE would have prevented social distancing measure another month, is dumb.

A perfect leader, with the benefit of hindsight, could have steered us into a better direction.  The math supports that.  I fail to see where this perfect leader would have come from.  Europe failed.  We failed.  Trump failed.  The WHO failed.  My governor failed.  

I agree with everything you said except for the bolded part. There was a playbook but it was not followed. The NSC working group responsible for scripting policy and ensuring our federal agencies are acting in a manner congruent with policy goals was disbanded - by Trump - in 2018.

And with 1-2 exceptions, every. single. cabinet member who met with their outgoing counterparts from the last administration on January 13, 2017 to discuss this exact scenario is a victim of the abnormally high rate of attrition in this WH.

Yes, there is plenty of blame to spread around. But as it pertains to our well being, as a nation, the buck stops with this administration, with this president. 

• Like 4

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

There is a second group.  People like me.  People who fully understand what we are giving up with so little resistance.  It terrifies me.  But for now, I will go along with it.  I do not know how we as a society could look at ourselves should the worst case come to pass.  If we had let a few million die, we would be giving up our rights at an even faster pace under the promises of "never again".

As I've been maintaining, it's like two ends of a shit sandwich, where one end gives you a really bad case of e coli.

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

27 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I agree with everything you said except for the bolded part. There was a playbook but it was not followed. The NSC working group responsible for scripting policy and ensuring our federal agencies are acting in a manner congruent with policy goals was disbanded - by Trump - in 2018.

And with 1-2 exceptions, every. single. cabinet member who met with their outgoing counterparts from the last administration on January 13, 2017 to discuss this exact scenario is a victim of the abnormally high rate of attrition in this WH.

Yes, there is plenty of blame to spread around. But as it pertains to our well being, as a nation, the buck stops with this administration, with this president. 

You highlighted in bold a paragraph with 3 points.  Was it this part you found issue with "Thinking he could have convinced this nation to adopt policies that MAYBE, MAYBE would have prevented social distancing measure another month, is dumb."?

I am unable to, given the context your provided, ascertain which of the three points in that paragraph you take objection to, or if you take objection to all three.  I am sure that is more me being tired as hell and less you being clear in your context.  

26 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

As I've been maintaining, it's like two ends of a shit sandwich, where one end gives you a really bad case of e coli.

I am scared at the rate in which we are embracing our liberties being removed.  But I also have an understanding, should we not embrace it now, we would be looking at a scenario in which we are begging the government to remove said liberties in 5 months.  This is complete shit.  All of it.  In a perfect world everybody would be on the same page, we would voluntarily and with high hearts impose these measure on ourselves instead of not having them mandated.  Sadly, we needed them mandated because we are not so selfless.  It is +++++ed.  It is all +++++ed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well, sooner than 3 days ago.  About 3 weeks ago.  Which was far too late.

I have read almost every post on this board in the past month.  There are several claiming the US, with our demographics and mobility, would have been able to prevent social distancing measure from being necessary.  That is a clown take that stems only from extreme partisanship and not reality or any understanding of this virus. Nobody believes you.  Fauci thinks that is full of shit.  The math thinks that is FoS.  Every reputable virologist thinks that is FoS.

It was not Trump having witnessed shit go down.  We had China at the time, and under 20 deaths in in Itally.  Under 20 deaths in Italy at the time constitutionally violating our rights would have had to have been the recommended course of action to prevent attempt to prevent spread.  An attempt that would have failed.

3 weeks ago? lol.  Trump was still saying no big deal, see everybody at Easter and wutabout the flu 4 days ago.

Again for the 400th time, not my argument and not the general.    

Go ahead, keep on making up your own definition of what could be done, and then saying we can't do that to so you can absolve Trump and all our leadership.