bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

40 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Yeah but the more I listen to Ben Shapiro, the more I'm convinced that China can't be let off the hook for this shit. I couldn't possibly reiterate everything I've heard Shapiro say about that over the last couple weeks but it's been quite persuasive and among what he's said is a contention which was confirmed by an article in today's L.A. Times about how Taiwan isn't a member of the World Health Organization because the effing communist party in "Red" China won't allow it. And despite now having an economy almost the size of the US, the Chinese contribute less than 10% as much to the WHO as we do.

Everyone's so busy right now just minimizing the death toll for their citizens that they can't concentrate on anything else but after the smoke clears, the world really needs to come down hard on the Chinese.

Put China on the hook how?  Right now and for at least the next month or so the entire world economy is in serious trouble.  The US will need China economically.  We will need China to step up their buying.  Next year is the time to hit back at China economically, and doing so by getting US companies to broaden outside of China.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You’ve already demonstrated that you think you know all about the Cvirus. Why haven’t you produced a vaccine yet and why aren’t you taking Fauci’s place at the podium superstatman? 

So many questions and/or comments...

1. No, I only claimed to understand the mathematical side of epidemiology, which I do. I simply recognized 2-2 1/2 months ago what was coming down the pipe because math.

2. I simply tried to convey this to the masses (yourself included) who may not understand the mathematical modeling and/or the interpretation of their output.

3. This was done for the simple reason of helping others (yourself included) possess the right information so as to take the necessary steps to safeguard the well-being of themselves and their loved ones.

4. And yes, smartass, our company is doing something to be part of the solution. We've already invested considerable resources in pivoting the functionality of our AI platform so it can be used in the this fight. And in doing so, we've adopted a cost-plus model so the state can use it for free, and I was on a conference call with a member of the House yesterday to discuss this. So GTFO. Seriously. 

5. Why are you being such a dick? :blink:

• Haha 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

meh.  New York, New Jersey, New Orleans, Detroit, etc etc. Seattle and San Fran and doing OK, death wise, as they imposed the economic steps to avoid being New York

13 minutes ago, pokerider said:

um, again - Trump setup the Corona Virus task force on Jan 30.  And Trump restricted travel from China on Jan. 31. The impeachment didn't end until Feb. 5.  

On March 10 - DeBlasio was on TV saying for most people life is normal and we want to encourage that and if your under 50 and healthy, there's very little threat here.  And he said transmission was not that easy.  
On Feb 24 - Nancy Pelsoi in San Fran - “You should come to Chinatown. Precautions have been taken by our city. We know there is concern about tourism throughout the world but we think it’s very safe to be in Chinatown and hopefully, others will come,” Pelosi said.

Regardless of what Trump did or did not do - several bit name Democrats in big cities were more worried about the virus being called Chinese or people not eating out in Chinese restaurants than they were any pandemic. 

true but the Trump administration is responsible for the FEMA and CDC response in terms of being ready to assist.  It has been very underwhelming

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billings said:

meh.  New York, New Jersey, New Orleans, Detroit, etc etc. Seattle and San Fran and doing OK, death wise, as they imposed the economic steps to avoid being New York

I posted it without taking a stance either way. I know a number of our conservative and libertarian leaning members around here have advocated for similar positions. 

I see a wide disconnect of between those that want to excuse trump and those that want to charge him with some sort of negligence.

Everyone is talking past each other. We're not arguing the same thing.

I think I speak for a lot of the "Trump was somewhat negligent crowd" when I say in no way do we think he, or anyone, could have stopped the virus from doing it's thing and that is all that matters.  Nobody believes that.

We're saying he could have got the machine started up a lot earlier and in fact actually played a part in preventing it from getting going earlier. So, if you disagree with that, argue it, but please stop inferring we think he had the power to stop the virus.  Nobody thinks that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

How does this rack up?  My wife looks after her parents that live 20 miles away?  She is currently taking her mom to radiation treatment, does it 5 days a week, about 60 miles per appointment.  Besides, I don't think people are spreading the disease driving in their car.

I don't disagree and clearly even doing that you don't run up the average.  So what does that tell you about places that are red?

12 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

So many questions and/or comments...

1. No, I only claimed to understand the mathematical side of epidemiology, which I do. I simply recognized 2-2 1/2 months ago what was coming down the pipe because math.

2. I simply tried to convey this to the masses (yourself included) who may not understand the mathematical modeling and/or the interpretation of their output.

3. This was done for the simple reason of helping others (yourself included) possess the right information so as to take the necessary steps to safeguard the well-being of themselves and their loved ones.

4. And yes, smartass, our company is doing something to be part of the solution. We've already invested considerable resources in pivoting the functionality of our AI platform so it can be used in the this fight. And in doing so, we've adopted a cost-plus model so the state can use it for free, and I was on a conference call with a member of the House yesterday to discuss this. So GTFO. Seriously. 

5. Why are you being such a dick? :blink:

IMO these posts are interesting as chit. I don’t always agree with TheSanDiegan when it comes to sports (or his chit talking) but totally appreciate the time he’s spent on this content.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, pokerider said:

um, again - Trump setup the Corona Virus task force on Jan 30.  And Trump restricted travel from China on Jan. 31. The impeachment didn't end until Feb. 5.  

On March 10 - DeBlasio was on TV saying for most people life is normal and we want to encourage that and if your under 50 and healthy, there's very little threat here.  And he said transmission was not that easy.  
On Feb 24 - Nancy Pelsoi in San Fran - “You should come to Chinatown. Precautions have been taken by our city. We know there is concern about tourism throughout the world but we think it’s very safe to be in Chinatown and hopefully, others will come,” Pelosi said.

Regardless of what Trump did or did not do - several bit name Democrats in big cities were more worried about the virus being called Chinese or people not eating out in Chinese restaurants than they were any pandemic. 

And again...

The screening of incoming pax form China was half-assed and wholly insufficient. Mathematical models had already made it abundantly clear that infected pax were transiting through SIN, NRT, TPE, ICN, and other Asian gateway cities.

And if Trump hadn't shitcanned the Pandemic Response Team from the National Security Counsel, ignored multiple intelligence briefings on the subject, ignored the outgoing administration's briefing on the subject, ignored the warnings by senior administration officials, or cut the CDC's budget by nearly 70%, maybe we wouldn't have bungled our half-assed response.

A test had been developed in Berlin by Jan 18. By Feb 1 the WHO was shipping them en masse to over 60 countries. Due to our complete failure to accept/adopt/accelerate testing we were fighting from behind from Day One.

And given the criticality of social distancing, the mixed messages and complete bullshit coming form our leadership played a direct role in letting the pandemic gain a huge foothold in our country. As late as March Trump was still downplaying the threat:

Screen-shot-2020-04-03-at-1-58-35-PM.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, renoskier said:
Not all of the states have full shutdown or shelter in place orders. The ones that don't are more rural.

image.png.c386bfecfab2e877a36f2e9143fc0710.png

I agree and even the ones that do now in some cases like Florida, Georgia and Oklahoma are relatively late to the game.   The graph i posted was as of the 26th so those states would likely show more movement.  Yes driving for Groceries where some areas are food poor accounts for some of the redder (as in graph redder not GOP) states.  But its hard to imagine how it is even remotely controversial that whether a state had a shelter in place order or not would be a big factor in the movement of populations.   

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

IMO these posts are interesting as chit. I don’t always agree with TheSanDiegan when it comes to sports (or his chit talking) but totally appreciate the time he’s spent on this content.

Thank you. I know we've been real salty with each other on other topics, but in this fight we're all on the same side. I sincerely appreciate the acknowledgement.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

17 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I see a wide disconnect of between those that want to excuse trump and those that want to charge him with some sort of negligence.

Everyone is talking past each other. We're not arguing the same thing.

I think I speak for a lot of the "Trump was somewhat negligent crowd" when I say in no way do we think he, or anyone, could have stopped the virus from doing it's thing and that is all that matters.  Nobody believes that.

We're saying he could have got the machine started up a lot earlier and in fact actually played a part in preventing it from getting going earlier. So, if you disagree with that, argue it, but please stop inferring we think he had the power to stop the virus.  Nobody thinks that.

Not sure.  I read several takes that stated shelter in place orders would not have been necessary had there been a different president.  That is a clown take.  Trump in hindsight could have gotten the ball rolling in removing restrictions (imposed by Democrats), ramping up manufacturing of critical supplies and the ability to test (an ability hampered by policies implemented by democrats).  But in hindsight, not taking this virus seriously crossed party lines.  Trump failed.  So did every European leader.  So did the Governor of NY.  So did we as a collective society.  

Lots of failure to go around.  Let us hold Trump accountable but stop pretending that the lack of stockpiles, lack of ability to manufacture tests, WHO lying to us to placate China, the CDC being incompetent, is all on him.  There is failure to go around.  Obama had 8 years to stockpile equipment after he had been warned we were not prepared to deal with a pandemic.  He did not.  He failed us too.  Bush before that.  My governor failed our state.  Look around the entire West.  Nothing but failure and it crosses political ideology 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

I'm tired of the nastiness and vitriol that is being displayed by people here.  I get that people are stressed out and times are uncertain but everybody needs to tone it down.  STOP WITH THE PERSONAL INSULTS AND THE VITRIOL. 

GROW THE +++++ UP!

@Joe from WY is not capable of expressing without vitriol but as an occasional target of his attacks I give him a pass.   He is sometimes a little passionate.  LOL

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not sure.  I read several takes that stated shelter in place orders would not have been necessary had there been a different president.  That is a clown take.  Trump in hindsight could have gotten the ball rolling in removing restrictions (imposed by Democrats), ramping up manufacturing of critical supplies and the ability to test (an ability hampered by policies implemented by democrats).  But in hindsight, not taking this virus seriously crossed party lines.  Trump failed.  So did every European leader.  So did the Governor of NY.  So did we as a collective society.  

Lots of failure to go around.  Let us hold Trump accountable but stoo pretending that the lack of stockpiles, lack of ability to manufacture tests, WHO lying to us to placate China, the CDC being incompetent, is all on him.  There is failure to go around.  Obama had 8 years to stock up equipment after he had been warned we were not prepared to deal with a pandemic.  He did not.  He failed us too.  Bush before that.  My governor failed our state.  Look around the entire West.  Nothing but failure and it crosses political ideology 

If we had the ability to test and trace then we might have been able to avoid some of the shutdowns seen today.   Blaming Trump for wasting 6-8 weeks on test development and not having a back-up plan when the reagent failed is hardly going out on a limb.   BTW, people say that the test was only 80% accurate while according to my daughter in Law who is an ER Doc the CDC test is only 70% accurate so its not like we rolled out a better test.

• Like 1

Just now, sactowndog said:

If we had the ability to test and trace then we might have been able to avoid some of the shutdowns seen today.   Blaming Trump for wasting 6-8 weeks on test development and not having a back-up plan when the reagent failed is hardly going out on a limb.   BTW, people say that the test was only 80% accurate while according to my daughter in Law who is an ER Doc the CDC test is only 70% accurate so its not like we rolled out a better test.

We did not have the ability to test and trace.  This has been explained by Fauci and other non partisan experts.  We used the same policies we used with H1N1 in trying to develop our own tests.  Test and trace, in a timely manner,  would have required the Executive abuse the position to shit on values long held dear in this country.  In hindsight, sure that would have been prefferable.  

Trump was not the leader to pull this off.  Not sure that leader has existed.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We did not have the ability to test and trace.  This has been explained by Fauci and other non partisan experts.  We used the same policies we used with H1N1 in trying to develop our own tests.  Test and trace, in a timely manner,  would have required the Executive abuse the position to shit on values long held dear in this country.  In hindsight, sure that would have been prefferable.  

Trump was not the leader to pull this off.  Not sure that leader has existed.  

Which is why I said test and trace would not have helped everywhere.   But had we realistically started earlier, leveraged the WHO test, we would have been I believe much further along.

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Which is why I said test and trace would not have helped everywhere.   But had we realistically started earlier, leveraged the WHO test, we would have been I believe much further along.

And had the WHO not lied to us and the world to placate China maybe our leaders and the CDC would have realized how critical time was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

"City people deserve what they're getting right now. If they were educated and knew how to actually live, they'd be in the country and be safe from this virus. The only people who die of it were too stupid to avoid it, and we're better off without them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

- bluetools00X

That's funny for two reasons.

One because bluerules has to be as uneducated as anyone who ever posted here. And two because I was just thinking the same about evangelicals.

According to the L.A. Times, there's a 3K member pentacostal church in Sacramento which has been in the news in the past for homophobic sermons coming from the pulpit and has now had 71 members test positive for COVID-19 over the last week or so. The Sacto county health director has heard rumors that members of the church have been getting together covertly for communal prayer. It would be fine with me if they want to chance killing themselves but if so, they should stay the hell away from everybody else.

Boom goes the dynamite.

16 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

And had the WHO not lied to us and the world to placate China maybe our leaders and the CDC would have realized how critical time was.  

I blame Trump for his part in downplaying the severity of the impending crises.  My problem is the same people laying blame (rightfully) on Trump will refuse to lay blame where it is also warrented.  Our governors, the WHO, super Obama (he had years to to stockpile supplies and did not, even after experts explained to him it needed to be done).  

Let's blame Trump for his failures.  It is important to do so.  Let us not pretend he should be crucified for a pandemic doing what pandemics do.  He is not to blame for the lack of PPE.  He is not to blame for the CDC wanting to develop their own test as this was standard operating procedure.  He is not to blame for our dependence on China providing critical medical supplies.  

• Like 3