bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

2 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Then who would you follow on Twitter?

Is the president of Turkmenistan on Twitter? That might be good.

• Like 1

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Then who would you follow on Twitter?

I guess the people who I already actually follow... Herr Orange Dipshit isn't one of them.

CWEAdXU.png

You know, like this guy.

Just now, BYUcougfan said:

10 million unemployment claims in the past two weeks.

The numbers are going to be staggering, but they are expected at this point. The real question is what will they be at a month or two after the house arrests are lifted. Similar situation to where we are right now with the infection numbers in a lot of ways. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Business Insider: Coronavirus created a dictator and emboldens authoritarians worldwide - Business Insider.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-created-new-dictator-emboldens-authoritarians-worldwide-2020-4

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

Four more years! 

Those who already hated Trump think he is doing a terrible job.

Those who voted for Trump and who are going to vote for him again think he is doing a good job. 

Nothing has changed

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob said:

Don't know and neither do you, but it appears that heavily restricting interaction of people doesn't have much affect on death rates. You'd think that a clear correlation between governmental social distancing measures and death rate would have emerged by now. 

What? Why? 

First, the Spanish Flu took months to resolve:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/#close

~24 weeks for a "flattened curve" in St Louis and SF vs. 8 weeks in essentially uncontrolled Philly (where thousands more died :/)

Second, cities that socially distanced the most bounced back better:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/03/31/lessons-from-the-spanish-flu-social-distancing-can-be-good-for-the-economy

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, Bob said:

I can't read the natgeo article, but I saw the graph from the economist. It looks like the cities that 'bounced back' faster from the Spanish flu are cities in the Western US, so that's primary takeaway rather than stricter vs more lenient social distancing polices. 

Bob you literally just put in an e-mail address. Here's one I abandoned in 2002: pimientonegro@hotmail.com. Have fun

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

A buddy and his wife over in Emmett just got their positive results back. Definitely gonna hit the small towns too, to the chagrin of a lot of those folks who think this is a Sun Valley/Treasure Valley thing. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I can't read the natgeo article, but I saw the graph from the economist. It looks like the cities that 'bounced back' faster from the Spanish flu are cities in the Western US, so that's primary takeaway rather than stricter vs more lenient social distancing polices. And can one epidemic be compared to another? I've been told countless times not to compare coronavirus to anything else. 

The graph from the Economist has the colored dots to identify strict vs lenient social policies.

Western cities tended to adopt more strict policies than eastern cities.