bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Sure want to bet $500 on it.  I’m game.  How about $1,000?  I’m sure @mugtang can be the middleman until I supply proof in the form of a statement from the nursery.   

You’re about to get your knuckles smacked with Mugtangs yard stick. Mine and Born on the Blue’s are still bloody and our bet didn’t even include money.

33 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Edit: I also don’t see how that article was vague. It had links in practically every paragraph to the NYT, the Post, the WSJ, the BBC, newspaper outlets from Hong Kong and Singapore, peer reviewed medical journals; as well as the Chinese Press, Chinese agencies, and the WHO.

Just that they are mostly about silencing journalists or doctors. You can’t criticize the government in China - do we know suddenly expect them to have a free press.  

That is different than jumping to Boris Johnson claiming they have 20x or whatever more cases and deaths.

I get that China is shitty, but are they really undergoing a huge societal coverup of the epidemic, and is there proof of that coverup? 

56 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Sure want to bet $500 on it.  I’m game.  How about $1,000?  I’m sure @mugtang can be the middleman until I supply proof in the form of a statement from the nursery.   

We’re not doing any stupid bets right now. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It was a partnership. We hoped they’d become more like us, and in a market sense they did. In an ideological sense they did not. And now we’re paying for that miscalculation.

But at the same time we can’t just shut it all off. When goods stop flowing across borders, armies, or in our case missiles, start. We clearly can’t trust them with our healthcare supplies among other vital things. But we can tolerate buying less essential goods. We’re gonna have to until a remarkable Gorbachev type figure gets into power and stumbles his way out of the ideology. 

There's an argument in there somewhere that a doctrine of mutually assured destruction is the ideal relationship between superpowers. I dont buy it, but it's in there.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

24 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

He’s not a leftist, he’s an American. 

The "other Americans must lose" ethos is just so toxic. Really hope a leader can emerge to guide us out of that mindset. Might take a while.

20 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Just that they are mostly about silencing journalists or doctors. You can’t criticize the government in China - do we know suddenly expect them to have a free press.  

That is different than jumping to Boris Johnson claiming they have 20x or whatever more cases and deaths.

I get that China is shitty, but are they really undergoing a huge societal coverup of the epidemic, and is there proof of that coverup? 

Look man, the numbers China is reporting are preposterous.  If only 3000 people died they wouldn't have had a 17% drop in manufacturing.  Gimme a break.  Can you imagine how many just die from the flu in China with it's 1 billion population?  I would guess at least 10,000 a month, so if they only lost 3k in Wuhan they wouldn't have locked down 60 million people and all the rest.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Maybe 20%.

Where's that number come from?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

You should be social distancing, not going out in public to win an internet argument. #flattenthecurve

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You should be social distancing, not going out in public to win an internet argument. #flattenthecurve

Did I mention it was a vegetable garden.  That I wore a mask and gloves and stripped and showered when I got home.   Trust me I am extremely careful. 

28 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

There's an argument in there somewhere that a doctrine of mutually assured destruction is the ideal relationship between superpowers. I dont buy it, but it's in there.

I’m sure I’ve made it at some point. It leads to proxy wars, but most things are preferable to a nuclear exchange. The difference I see is we had the right of it in practice between markets and central planning. With China, they’re not as far off from us on economics as the Soviet Union was. We’re outgunned on the callousness to sacrifice lives and the sheer number of lives to spend. They make things, we pay for them. Keeping that relationship is central for how we’re built.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

27 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Did I mention it was a vegetable garden.  That I wore a mask and gloves and stripped and showered when I got home.   Trust me I am extremely careful. 

Yeah I am sure some masked dude walking into a store demanding a written statement to win an internet argument is exactly what our retail workers need right now.

Listen, you made up a storey on the internet.  You are not the first guy.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah I am sure some masked dude walking into a store demanding a written statement to win an internet argument is exactly what our retail workers need right now.

Listen, you made up a storey on the internet.  You are not the first guy.

You say that now mug saved your ass.  I was figuring out how much you could afford to donate to charity.  They have phoned you know.

8 hours ago, Billings said:

nah many religious like ny jewish community and far right churches

nah — mostly anti-pharma, anti-corporate leftists in places like Cambridge and Somerville, MA who believe in natural therapies. Or maybe it simply depends on where we live and, like you say, our biases.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg