bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

24 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I’ve seen a number of these allegations, is there any proof that China is vastly underreporting like that? I remember hearing about amounts of certain chemicals being released in large amounts that would presumably be from mass cremation - but haven’t heard any concrete claims recently.  Just seems like mass disinformation campaign to blame the Chinese for the whole crisis.

They don’t have a free press. They kicked our reporters out. This is what happens when you don’t toe the party line.

Which is right in line with what happened to doctors, or “misinformers” as they call them, in early January when China and the WHO were telling everyone there was no human to human transmission.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50984025

There has been speculation on social media about a possible connection to the highly contagious disease.

Wuhan police said eight people had been punished for "publishing or forwarding false information on the internet without verification".

If you really want to get pissed off about the CCP’s lies and coverup in the early days, here is a near day by day account.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/chinas-devastating-lies/amp/

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Most antivaxers are the SF liberal types.

A lot of them are. But a whole lot of them are in hyper-religious and insular communities.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

nah many religious like ny jewish community and far right churches

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That used to be true.

Now it is Republicans jumping on board as part of the anti-big government belief.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/27/anti-vaccine-republican-mainstream-1344955

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/16/republican-reject-democrat-vaccines-1361277

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

IIRC it doesn't like UV light, maybe sit some items outside for a bit m. Non perishables

must be UV-C.   sunshine not enough lol

Is there any realistic way for us as a country to reduce the amount of business we do as a country with China? Like I know we can put sanctions and other things in place but I don't know how willing our law makers are to do something so drastic. In my opinion China needs to understand that we will not accept the way they do business anymore. We will not tolerate the intellectual property theft or espionage. We will not accept business that relies on de facto slavery to produce goods. We will not tolerate putting citizens in reeducation camps in the basis of religion. We will not tolerate forced marriages to party members which is a form of ethnic cleansing. We will not sit back and ignore the human rights abuses. We will not ignore the rights and democratic freedoms of Hong Kongers being stripped away. We will not tolerate the lies and misinformation relating to China's Coronavirus response.

China has taken advantage of us for long enough. I say we cut off our business and encourage our partners to do the same and let the CCP rot. Their own citizens are starting to get fed up. Maybe with a little pressure they will decide they have had enough and put the CCP in its place.

Screw China.

• Like 1

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

The Texas governor expanded the state's required 14 day quarantine to include travelers from more areas today.

Originally the quarantine was required for visitors from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and New Orleans.

Today the quarantine order was expanded to travelers from California, the rest of Louisiana, and Washington and the cities of Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, and Miami.

3 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The Texas governor expanded the state's required 14 day quarantine to include travelers from more areas today.

Originally the quarantine was required for visitors from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and New Orleans.

Today the quarantine order was expanded to travelers from California, the rest of Louisiana, and Washington and the cities of Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, and Miami.

Tough to enforce.  Hawii is doing this but literally meeting people at the airports.  Easy to handle.

35 minutes ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Is there any realistic way for us as a country to reduce the amount of business we do as a country with China? Like I know we can put sanctions and other things in place but I don't know how willing our law makers are to do something so drastic. In my opinion China needs to understand that we will not accept the way they do business anymore. We will not tolerate the intellectual property theft or espionage. We will not accept business that relies on de facto slavery to produce goods. We will not tolerate putting citizens in reeducation camps in the basis of religion. We will not tolerate forced marriages to party members which is a form of ethnic cleansing. We will not sit back and ignore the human rights abuses. We will not ignore the rights and democratic freedoms of Hong Kongers being stripped away. We will not tolerate the lies and misinformation relating to China's Coronavirus response.

China has taken advantage of us for long enough. I say we cut off our business and encourage our partners to do the same and let the CCP rot. Their own citizens are starting to get fed up. Maybe with a little pressure they will decide they have had enough and put the CCP in its place.

Screw China.

It was a partnership. We hoped they’d become more like us, and in a market sense they did. In an ideological sense they did not. And now we’re paying for that miscalculation.

But at the same time we can’t just shut it all off. When goods stop flowing across borders, armies, or in our case missiles, start. We clearly can’t trust them with our healthcare supplies among other vital things. But we can tolerate buying less essential goods. We’re gonna have to until a remarkable Gorbachev type figure gets into power and stumbles his way out of the ideology. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

37 minutes ago, Billings said:

Tough to enforce.  Hawii is doing this but literally meeting people at the airports.  Easy to handle.

It is like the Florida governor trying to stop arrivals from hot spots.

He has troopers supposedly on I-10 and I-95.

But then when asked about other highways into Florida:

But while the Georgia Public Health Department has called Albany, 88 miles north of Tallahassee, a region with "sustained community spread” of the coronavirus, DeSantis shrugged about establishing a checkpoint on I-75. And his office did not respond to questions about U.S. 319. Both thoroughfares connect north Florida to Albany.

“Having the 10 and 95 (checkpoints) is good and I think that provides the protection,” DeSantis said when asked about other routes into the state.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/03/28/florida-coronavirus-cases-pass-4000-border-checkpoints-vacation-rentals-suspended/2934407001/

It all makes for good theatrics to look like something is being done.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They don’t have a free press. They kicked our reporters out.

If you really want to get pissed off about the CCP’s lies and coverup in the early days, here is a near day by day account.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/chinas-devastating-lies/amp/

This is all I’m seeing. Vague articles by National Review, RedState, New York Post, Washington Examiner - basically Trump’s propaganda machine.

I need more proof than “they kicked our scientists and lawyers out, so everything they say is lies”.   This is the 21st century, the evidence has got to be there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

This is all I’m seeing. Vague articles by National Review, RedState, New York Post, Washington Examiner - basically Trump’s propaganda machine.

I need more proof than “they kicked our scientists and lawyers out, so everything they say is lies”.   This is the 21st century, the evidence has got to be there.

Okay, I also linked to the bbc and Australia’s sixty minutes where part of the clip was to blame Trump. National Review employs some Trump hacks (Which they should as one of the premier conservative publications), but I can assure you Jim Geraghty is not one of them. 

Edit: I also don’t see how that article was vague. It had links in practically every paragraph to the NYT, the Post, the WSJ, the BBC, newspaper outlets from Hong Kong and Singapore, peer reviewed medical journals; as well as the Chinese Press, Chinese agencies, and the WHO.

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Okay, I also linked to the bbc and Australia’s sixty minutes where part of the clip was to blame Trump. National Review employs some Trump hacks (Which they should as one of the premier conservative publications), but I can assure you Jim Geraghty is not one of them. 

Edit: I also don’t see how that article was vague. It had links in practically every paragraph to the NYT, the Post, the WSJ, the BBC, newspaper outlets from Hong Kong and Singapore, peer reviewed medical journals; as well as the Chinese Press, Chinese agencies, and the WHO.

He didn't read any of it.  They never do.  Being a leftist means never having to read n' stuff.

• Like 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

He didn't read any of it.  They never do.  Being a leftist means never having to read n' stuff.

He’s not a leftist, he’s an American. 

• Like 2