bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

15 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

:blink: I want to give Trump the benefit of the doubt for being in one of the toughest spots in the history of our country.  I just wish he wasn't such a dick.

He isn't deserving of the benefit of the doubt anymore.

His responses are perfectly predictable at this point. We all know the size of his ego, his paper thin skin and his inability to prepare for anything.

• Super-Mega Idiot 3

One of the Final Five..........

7 minutes ago, mysfit said:

I don't think it's overly dramatic 

His decisions, his actions or rather inaction has resulted in a lack of PPE for health care workers. A nurse in NYC has already died as a result. More will follow.

His delay in dealing with this, his disbelief that this was an issue has resulted in an overall lack of preparation which is killing people. 

And it's going to get worse. All the things he's said today indicate he is absolutely in over his head and is still unable to fully shoulder the responsibility of dealing with it.

If people aren't nice to him, if he doesn't like what they say he won't return their calls. That's a childish response. It's an incompetent response. And yes, that kind of crap in a situation like this will kill people.

He like a lot of people, even on this forum, thought it was no big deal. He did draw some unwarranted criticism for banning incoming flights from China early on.

He gets a D+ from me.

I also don't believe that state governments being woefully unprepared means that it's the federal government's fault. You can't depend on the federal government for everything. States can do a lot, and some are doing a great job, on their own.

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

We can ramp up production of things like masks and ventilators within a year. We can’t with doctors.

Actually we can - to some degree. Columbia and NYU are graduating final year med students early to send them to the front lines: https://www.businessinsider.com/medical-schools-graduate-students-early-coronavirus-covid-19-2020-3

"Here's your rifle, here's your helmet. Congratulations, your basic training is complete." The whole war metaphor is starting to make sense so fast it's not even funny. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I also don't believe that state governments being woefully unprepared means that it's the federal government's fault. You can't depend on the federal government for everything. States can do a lot, and some are doing a great job, on their own.

The problem is that most disasters are more regional in nature. That allows a state to shift resources from one part of the state to another to deal with it.

This is crossing city, county, regional, and state lines while hitting them all in a short time period.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Yes, but states are forced to pick up the tab for the federal government in more ways than one could count. Coastal cities and states (and I'm sure all states to some extent) spend an epic amount of money on public health and basic services that the federal government fails to provide. 

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Actually we can - to some degree. Columbia and NYU are graduating final year med students early to send them to the front lines: https://www.businessinsider.com/medical-schools-graduate-students-early-coronavirus-covid-19-2020-3

"Here's your rifle, here's your helmet. Congratulations, your basic training is complete." The whole war metaphor is starting to make sense so fast it's not even funny. 

Don’t forget the old retired doctors they are bringing out of retirement. “Racilia, arise with haste, and fetch me my lab coat.”

• Haha 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The problem is that most disasters are more regional in nature. That allows a state to shift resources from one part of the state to another to deal with it.

This is crossing city, county, regional, and state lines while hitting them all in a short time period.

OK, but crying because you only have 4,000 ventilators and then demanding 40,000 from the federal government isn't helpful.

It isn't like there's a stockpile anywhere. Why doesn't the state have 40,000 ventilators? Probably for the same reason the federal government doesn't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Yes, but states are forced to pick up the tab for the federal government in more ways than one could count. Coastal cities and states (and I'm sure all states to some extent) spend an epic amount of money on public health and basic services that the federal government fails to provide. 

Why should the federal government provide those things? I don't understand. I must have missed the socialize everything boat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CV147 said:

OK, but crying because you only have 4,000 ventilators and then demanding 40,000 from the federal government isn't helpful.

It isn't like there's a stockpile anywhere. Why doesn't the state have 40,000 ventilators? Probably for the same reason the federal government doesn't.

Actually there is the National Strategic Stockpile. It includes ventilators.

The NSS does not have 40,000 ventilators but it does have about 17,000.

44 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Don’t forget the old retired doctors they are bringing out of retirement. “Racilia, arise with haste, and fetch me my lab coat.”

"I have prepared this ointment of animal dung and mercury. Make haste now, prepare my horse!"

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Why should the federal government provide those things? I don't understand. I must have missed the socialize everything boat.

Pick the one you like best:

1) Because we pay a shit ton of taxes to the federal government. For all that coin, I'd prefer to see some mental health and housing instead of 20 aircraft carriers. 

2) Because historically advanced society have provided these types of services at the national level. And the US has too.

3) Because it makes sense. If these kinds of services aren't provided at the federal level, you incentivize a race to the bottom at the state level, which hurts everyone and benefits no one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Lol, I didn't bother to see if you made the argument. 

ok guys. mwcboard is a wrap. We have the best 1 line summary of this place possible. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

yea why does fema even exist anyway

3 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

But is not. My daughter in law is an internal resident intern in Tucson AZ and she is basically bored at the moment.  She isn’t on the Covid team and regular procedures are all canceled.  Again this is where Trump is failing to direct resources effectively where it’s needed.   We have 50 Governors acting like we are 50 countries instead of one coordinated national response.   

while in other parts of the country they are making 4th year medical students MD’s.   

3 hours ago, CV147 said:

In this case the hot spots are not going to hit all at once.  We need a more fungible inventory that can move across state lines as needed.   New York will peak then die down and maybe Houston will increase.  If they are owned by the state you have issues moving inventory were you need it.   

it would be like if every division has their own Army supply chain had their own supply line in competition with other divisions.   Each would hoard ammunition to make sure they had enough.   You would never run a war that way but that’s how Trump is running this one.  

• Like 1

In other news you may want to avoid Hobby Lobby...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hobby-lobby-stay-open-coronavirus-staff-sick-leave-a9423491.html?fbclid=IwAR36x5fKNcwEkRHSLJPt6gxWe7E7awafUv-nXZGlfniyW73GohxyeW-hNTk

he has the right to run his business as he likes and I doubt Christ directed him as such.  That being said businesses that refuse to pay sick leave will force employees to choose stay home on the off chance I’m sick or get the pay check I desperately need.   That puts you the customer at significantly more risk.   

• Like 2