bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

12 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Oh trust me, a few of my coworkers and I have been on zoom conference calls drinking wine and whiskey swapping email stories from parents. It's very satisfying. We set up a schedule to meet with our students twice a week on zoom for office hours. I'm genuinely surprised that the kids have responded well and they are completing their work on the due dates they were given. 

Will the school year continue part way or all the way through summer when kids return to school? 

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

As I said immediately after Newsom announced it, to decide so soon that the schools need to be closed until the fall is alarmist and frankly ridiculous.

And as the always astute Harry Littman opined today, it's also very questionable whether the scope of Newsom's edict to all Californians is even constitutional. Littman asserted that Newsom better have his attorneys doing some thorough legal research right now because if Newsom doesn't pare down his edict, it's not a matter of if but when businesses begin to sue him. (BTW, for those who aren't familiar with Littman, he's a Democrat.)

I seriously hope this happens because Newsom has done nothing but spread fear whenever he steps in front of a camera. The LA mayor has said he's asking for the utility companies to shut off power to businesses who don't fully comply to the stay at home order. That is an aggressive overreach of power and if I was a business owner I would sue the shit out of the city if he followed through on it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Angry 1

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

39 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

California is still steadily rising, but we are making progress. I got an email yesterday from our district that schools will now be closed through May 5th. I then got bombarded with emails from parents who are near their breaking point... we're only 8 days in, you better buckle up! 

I saw a funny post on FB, something along the lines of if this quarantine lasts much longer the parents will develop the vaccine before the scientists do

• Haha 2

One of the Final Five..........

5 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

I seriously hope this happens because Newsom has done nothing but spread fear whenever he steps in front of a camera. The LA mayor has said he's asking for the utility companies to shut off power to businesses who don't fully comply to the stay at home order. That is an aggressive overreach of power and if I was a business owner I would sue the shit out of the city if he followed through on it. 

The L.A. mayor is Eric Garcetti and he's a clone of Newsom. Both are the kind of empty suit Democrats who drove me to re-register as unaffiliated.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Will the school year continue part way or all the way through summer when kids return to school? 

That's the dilemma we're facing is how we handle graduations and moving students onto the next grade. Since the students are technically still learning and not simply on vacation we are required to assign work and give tests in our classes so students meet the standards. This will allow the schools to not extend the school year into the summer. However, every state is doing something different. I just know here in California they are doing everything they can to not have the school year go into the summer and would rather start fresh in August. That means no summer school and if there is no summer school then they will have to come up with another plan because No Child Left Behind just went out the phucking window. 

25 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Oh trust me, a few of my coworkers and I have been on zoom conference calls drinking wine and whiskey swapping email stories from parents. It's very satisfying. We set up a schedule to meet with our students twice a week on zoom for office hours. I'm genuinely surprised that the kids have responded well and they are completing their work on the due dates they were given. 

We start remote learning in Monday. I teach high school seniors. We have been told that their grades cannot go down at all. Every assignment will only count as extra credit. I'm not sure how much buy-in I will get from any of my students. It should be an interesting time.

55 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Looks like the imperial college guy has changed his projections 

So if his new calculations track the same for the US as with the U.K., we’re looking at 80,000 deaths not 2 million.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 minutes ago, phxpoke said:

We start remote learning in Monday. I teach high school seniors. We have been told that their grades cannot go down at all. Every assignment will only count as extra credit. I'm not sure how much buy-in I will get from any of my students. It should be an interesting time.

We are required to give them work and tests, but we are doing it more for analysis to see how they are learning. I teach Sophomore World History and the kids are keeping up on their work simply because I know they're bored and doing the work is keeping their parents off their backs. We are doing a "fight the Coronavirus" spirit week right now. Monday was pajama day, Tuesday toilet paper day (take a picture of your toilet paper collection), Wednesday was wash your hands while singing a song, today is exercise day (do a workout in your house or backyard), and tomorrow is cooking from home (take a picture of something you baked or cooked from scratch). 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So if his new calculations track the same for the US as with the U.K., we’re looking at 80,000 deaths not 2 million.

So, a little less than die from alcohol related issues each year.  Not down playing it, but perspective is necessary.

• Like 1

Just now, BYUcougfan said:

So, a little less than die from alcohol related issues each year.  Not down playing it, but perspective is necessary.

Yes, but you have to look at the effect it has on the healthcare industry overall. I’m betting more people die from all illnesses due to the response the disease required. It isn’t going to just kill coronavirus patients, but patients with other illnesses and problems that wouldn’t get the same treatment due to scarce resources being allocated to fighting the disease.

Still this is good news. Combined with other studies like the one out of Oxford, this seems much more like a manageable problem than it did two weeks ago.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes, but you have to look at the effect it has on the healthcare industry overall. I’m betting more people die from all illnesses due to the response the disease required. It isn’t going to just kill coronavirus patients, but patients with other illnesses and problems that wouldn’t get the same treatment due to scarce resources being allocated to fighting the disease.

Still this is good news. Combined with other studies like the one out of Oxford, this seems much more like a manageable problem than it did two weeks ago.

Agreed.  I just read link from a Doctor's comments on CougarBoard.  Tough times for them.  He made an interesting claim.  He said world wide, 86% of Covid patients that go on ventilators still die.  It was 70% in Seattle.  

Long time no talk. Hope everyone is doing fine. 

To quell everyone's fears a little bit, CSU's Infectious Disease Research Center is working on the vaccine. So if you think TCSUF is bad now, just wait until we save the +++++ing world. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Really? Is there a montage of their stupidity?

Don't need one. Simply turn their live programming on.

Oh wait, they're your team. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

29 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

Exactly. Because everyone with alcohol related issues goes to the hospital at the same time in March. Totally the same thing. (Ban St Patrick's Day, save the world?) 

• Like 2