bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

9 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

Even if you don't live in Idaho, you should watch it for the entertainment value of the translator's facial expressions.

Ha! That's funny. My wife and I were just watching Gavin Newsom's announcement and I was saying there needs to be a smaller box inside the box with the sign language interpreter, who's expressions did NOT match the chill tone of the guv.

And based on her expressions, I imagined another person in that smaller box hysterically waving her hands over her head while screaming, "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!" 

• Haha 2

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

17 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

But, shortness of breath is not your typical flu symptom.

I got really sick on the 10th and then was diagnosed with type A flu and strep throat on the 12th, so that has been going around as well.  Still am getting over a lingering cough from the virus.  

shortness of breath is common among a number of conditions (bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, allergies and probably a dozen other respiratory illnesses) 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bronchitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20355566

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pneumonia/symptoms-causes/syc-20354204

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asthma/symptoms-causes/syc-20369653

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bob said:

Well let's hope the Swedes don't wuss out and stay the course. We need one brave nation to defy social distancing and prove it wasn't necessary or else inevitably people will say the government lockdowns are what saved us when people see that corona virus isn't as bad as predicted when they realize millions aren't dropping dead because of it.

There are three different kinds of stupid. There's misdemeanor stupid, there's felony stupid, and then there's terminal stupid. 

You're of the latter kind, Bob. If you want to go lick shopping carts, more power to you. But ffs, please stop spreading bad information that risks putting people's lives in danger as a result.

And yes, it is the current lockdown that is succeeding in flattening the curve in societies where it has been adhered to. This has been demonstrated quantitatively through formal study. Of course as such quantitative analysis involves math, and science and shit, you're basically - and somewhat ironically - immune from understanding this. :waiting:

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I think there is more animosity and hate between people from geographical regions of the country now than since 1861. I would say maybe the northeastern states could break off if they wanted to, and the West Coast could break off if they wanted to. It wouldn't have to be nasty, just let them go. I don't want a national divorce either, but we cant keep going the way we are. Would you stay in a relationship that was as nasty as the red vs blue states is right now? 

Really man? 

First, in the '60s we had nationwide riots, cities burning, massive protests, assassination of political and social leaders, 3rd party candidates winning entire swaths of the country, and militant groups lynching people and openly calling for civil exclusion. Do you really think we're worse off than that?

Secondly, do you think that a blue state is just a bunch of blue ants and a red state is a bunch of red ants? There are more republicans in California than there are in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and Nebraska... combined. What do you do about that? Do you partition neighborhoods? Furthermore, what happens to all of the stuff in a "divorce"? What happens to the US pacific fleet? Nukes? Highways? Bridges? Dams? Water rights? How does going international with that divide get easier? What happens to the US economy when there's no way to ship westward? What happens to the US vision of itself when we are no longer "sea to shining sea"?

Thirdly, what do you think happens to the rural states without being connected to the cities? Our economy is resource extraction, agriculture, and tourism. That isn't a first world economy. That's a third world economy. We have a first world standard of living because we are better united. The US is more - FAR more - than the sum of our parts. That's... kind of the point.

Fourth, what happens when there is an international disagreement? If California wants to tax any imports? If there is a water rights issue? If West Coastia will accept Mexican labor but not American labor? That shit gets settled in a war. Unless you are completely out of your head, you have to know that any war is worse than about 1000 years running of the current situation.

Fifth, do you have any experience with divorces? Based on your comments, I'm guessing "nope". What do you do with the kids (citizenship)? For that matter, what do you think divorce is? When you divorce someone they don't die. They're still there and you still have to deal with them and in this case, you can't even move. Getting divorced makes you deal with your ex MORE in a lot of cases, and you just gave up a lot of leverage. Do you really want to have to deal with Amazon and Boeing and Microsoft and Google and all of the 67 Fortune 500 companies in West Coastia but without the power of regulating them? 

Sixth, what kind of "nastiness" are you seeing that warrants divorce? Dude, we all live together and want a lot of the same stuff. Hell, talk to individual people and they tend to agree on what problems are a lot more than opposing congresspeople do. I have no idea what kind of nonsense you're consuming when you think that your neighbors, preachers, clients, and customers are so "nasty" you want to divorce them. You sound like you've been listening to some real nonsense. 

• Like 5

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

37 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

"Statewide STAY HOME order"...

Was pretty much a given once the first instance of community spread was announced yesterday.

This seems to be the threshold for a lot of state and municipal governments issuing stay-at-home orders.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Really man? 

First, in the '60s we had nationwide riots, cities burning, massive protests, assassination of political and social leaders, 3rd party candidates winning entire swaths of the country, and militant groups lynching people and openly calling for civil exclusion. Do you really think we're worse off than that?

Secondly, do you think that a blue state is just a bunch of blue ants and a red state is a bunch of red ants? There are more republicans in California than there are in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and Nebraska... combined. What do you do about that? Do you partition neighborhoods? Furthermore, what happens to all of the stuff in a "divorce"? What happens to the US pacific fleet? Nukes? Highways? Bridges? Dams? Water rights? How does going international with that divide get easier? What happens to the US economy when there's no way to ship westward? What happens to the US vision of itself when we are no longer "sea to shining sea"?

Thirdly, what do you think happens to the rural states without being connected to the cities? Our economy is resource extraction, agriculture, and tourism. That isn't a first world economy. That's a third world economy. We have a first world standard of living because we are better united. The US is more - FAR more - than the sum of our parts. That's... kind of the point.

Fourth, what happens when there is an international disagreement? If California wants to tax any imports? If there is a water rights issue? If West Coastia will accept Mexican labor but not American labor? That shit gets settled in a war. Unless you are completely out of your head, you have to know that any war is worse than about 1000 years running of the current situation.

Fifth, do you have any experience with divorces? Based on your comments, I'm guessing "nope". What do you do with the kids (citizenship)? For that matter, what do you think divorce is? When you divorce someone they don't die. They're still there and you still have to deal with them and in this case, you can't even move. Getting divorced makes you deal with your ex MORE in a lot of cases, and you just gave up a lot of leverage. Do you really want to have to deal with Amazon and Boeing and Microsoft and Google and all of the 67 Fortune 500 companies in West Coastia but without the power of regulating them? 

Sixth, what kind of "nastiness" are you seeing that warrants divorce? Dude, we all live together and want a lot of the same stuff. Hell, talk to individual people and they tend to agree on what problems are a lot more than opposing congresspeople do. I have no idea what kind of nonsense you're consuming when you think that your neighbors, preachers, clients, and customers are so "nasty" you want to divorce them. You sound like you've been listening to some real nonsense. 

The sixties stuff wasn't geographical or at least not nearly so much so as is the case today.

Other than that, I agree with pretty much everything you've said, including how difficult a "divorce" would be for agrarian states. As an example, last I heard, California was receiving about 88 cents back from the feds for every dollar its citizens pay in income tax. For Mississippi, the formula is almost reversed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

26 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Are liquor stores still open?

Yep. They are only letting a set number of people in at a time. We are pretty stocked up though. I had the wife swing by there last Thursday when we talked about this and load up on Tito's and el Jimador. 

• Like 1

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

10 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

The sixties stuff wasn't geographical or at least not nearly so much so as is the case today.

Other than that, I agree with pretty much everything you've said, including how difficult a "divorce" would be for agrarian states. As an example, last I heard, California was receiving about 88 cents back from the feds for every dollar its citizens pay in income tax. For Mississippi, the formula is almost reversed.

the 60s was almost certainly geographical, just not in the same way. Just like today's issues are to some extent geographical, but not in the ways that people on here are suggesting (blue states vs red states). Happy's point on geography is that the geography is more complicated than bornontheblue seems to indicate it is. California is a good example, as you know. It is one of the bluest states in the union, but it also has a ton of conservatives, including pockets of hardcore conservatism. 

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

21 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Really man? 

He never considered who would get American resources because the lib states aren't real America to begin with. 

16 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Water rights like happy said and military defense would also be huge issues.  Both non starters really.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

the 60s was almost certainly geographical, just not in the same way. Just like today's issues are to some extent geographical, but not in the ways that people on here are suggesting (blue states vs red states). Happy's point on geography is that the geography is more complicated than bornontheblue seems to indicate it is. California is a good example, as you know. It is one of the bluest states in the union, but it also has a ton of conservatives, including pockets of hardcore conservatism. 

Yep — thinking that an entire state the size of California would happily go along with secession is silly.

9AA9A921-38B6-4CA4-84BD-816C0DFA7FAB.jpeg.02603656a2bbad6412ceffa4eef72efa.jpeg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

He really just needs to shut the +++++ up, let the medical professionals speak, and start acting like a +++++ing leader instead of an unhinged dipshit.

I don’t blame him, the media is doing such a wonderful job of creating a false wedge between members of virus task force.  

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/sns-nyt-trump-losing-patience-with-fauci-20200324-ikboxqsarrbtvhexsdh4fd3apy-story.html

• Like 1

Just now, Bob said:

If you really think after looking at trends in other nations  that millions are going to perish from coronavirus in the USA I don't know what to tell you.

I mean, you'd have a legitimate point if either @TheSanDiegan or I had said any of that. But, I guess you're the prophet, and you know what the final death toll will be when all is said and done. All hail to the mighty Bob the Clairvoyant. 

1 minute ago, tailingpermit said:

I don’t blame him, the media is doing such a wonderful job of creating a false wedge between members of virus task force.  

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/sns-nyt-trump-losing-patience-with-fauci-20200324-ikboxqsarrbtvhexsdh4fd3apy-story.html

Yes, everything is the media's fault. Understood. 

Or, maybe, just maaaaaaaaaaaybe, their reporting is accurate and paints a picture of a President that cares more about the economy and his re-election than anything else. But hey, you and @Bob seem to have the whole soothsayer thing going on, so I'll defer to your wisdom and knowledge.