bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

And I continue to believe we will have viable treatments within a month, two tops.  

It's questionable that we will have sufficient ventilators and beds in 1 months.

People, this is a virus. How many successful viral treatments are there? That's right, not many. The human body is a convoluted messy machine. Treating one thing can exacerbate another problem. There is not, repeat not going to be some magical treatment.

We can provide supportive therapy, ventilators being key, treat opportunistic infections like bacterial pneumonia, try to keep the body going while it fights off all these things and hope the body doesn't overdo it and produce a cytokine storm.

We will get a vaccine before we get anything other than supportive treatments.

We have got to buy time until we have all the ventilators, PPE and testing we need for hospitals to manage the load. This will not be quick, and it will not be easy. Trying to short cut this will only buy us the worst of both worlds. Let the doctors and scientists manage this. That's the best option in terms of people and the economy.

• Like 1

One of the Final Five..........

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

And I continue to believe we will have viable treatments within a month, two tops.  

Never doubt the motive of profit and the public goodwill that will bless any company that develops effective treatment for this. And let’s not kid ourselves, any pharmaceutical company that can develop a treatment that can save lives, will deserve the  profits and fame!  

14 minutes ago, mysfit said:

It's questionable that we will have sufficient ventilators and beds in 1 months.

People, this is a virus. How many successful viral treatments are there? That's right, not many. The human body is a convoluted messy machine. Treating one thing can exacerbate another problem. There is not, repeat not going to be some magical treatment.

We can provide supportive therapy, ventilators being key, treat opportunistic infections like bacterial pneumonia, try to keep the body going while it fights off all these things and hope the body doesn't overdo it and produce a cytokine storm.

We will get a vaccine before we get anything other than supportive treatments.

We have got to buy time until we have all the ventilators, PPE and testing we need for hospitals to manage the load. This will not be quick, and it will not be easy. Trying to short cut this will only buy us the worst of both worlds. Let the doctors and scientists manage this. That's the best option in terms of people and the economy.

personally I think the cytokine storm is what is taking most out

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I know I keep making this terrible Exodus joke, but seriously Pharaoh, let Moses’ people go.

Things like this and other natural disasters happen all the time. However it seems more magnified when a growing global crisis is on going.

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Hey, many of us in California would be perfectly fine with having our own country.

Seriously.

This is exactly the shit I’m worried about when this ends. This great Republic is in serious trouble.

• Like 1

Just now, sean327 said:

This is exactly the shit I’m worried about when this ends. This great Republic is in serious trouble.

Let em go. Our republic is better off without them. I’ve often thought it may be time for a divorce. Let them go at it on their own! If Oregon and Washington want to go let them! The eastern portion of those states would immediately petition to be part of Idaho . 

• Facepalm 1

Holy Shit, maybe our food supply chain is not as secure and reliable as we thought.  Plus it is close to home for me.  Frito-Lay closing the local plant because everyone plays have symptoms, 600 people affected. Hope to reopen, they will be paid in full up to 12 weeks.

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/frito-lay-plant-in-modesto-shuts-down-after-several-employees-show-symptoms-of-covid-19/

110926run_defense710.jpg

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

Let em go. Our republic is better off without them. I’ve often thought it may be time for a divorce. Let them go at it on their own! If Oregon and Washington want to go let them! The eastern portion of those states would immediately petition to be part of Idaho . 

Petition? Sure thing. If by petition you mean go to a bloody war, then yeah, they’ll petition.

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

That $75k limit is BS in my opinion for the checks individuals get.

75k for single with no kids.  150k for married individuals and it’s 112k for head of household.  I would’ve rather seen them cut checks to everybody and then do a clawback provision on their 2020 tax returns for high income individuals. 

• Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

That $75k limit is BS in my opinion for the checks individuals get.

A dude who made $60k Last year and still has job will get a check while a dude who made more than the threshold last year but just got furloughed will get either a reduced check or nothing. Like I said from the beginning, the checks are better than a payroll tax holiday, but they aren’t a great use of resources.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, mugtang said:

75k for single with no kids.  150k for married individuals and it’s 112k for head of household.  I would’ve rather seen them cut checks to everybody and then do a clawback provision on their 2020 tax returns for high income individuals. 

And based off of 2018 taxes right?  A lot can change for people since then.  Those numbers can mean very different things in different parts of the country too.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

And based off of 2018 taxes right?  A lot can change for people since then.  Those numbers can mean very different things in different parts of the country too.

Hey just be glad it looks like they are finally going to take action. The effect of the virus would be over if they tried to cover every angle.