bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

34 minutes ago, mysfit said:

It's up to the states when people return to work, not the orange fat man.

And right now the various governors have more credibility and have shown more leadership.

The small fingered vulgarian only cares about himself and his election. He will only care about body counts if it doesn't poll well. He started down the right path of controlling the spread but that takes discipline and he has none. He has no plan. He can't be trusted in this. Yes there is a balance but this administration is too incoherent to manage a crises like this. 

It's going to be up to each state.

You and others keep saying let’s not make this political, we’re all in this together, yet you make posts like the above. There is a political thread if you want to make political statements. I follow this thread to get updates and important information about the Cvirus. I would hope we could keep it in that vein. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

You and others keep saying let’s not make this political, we’re all in this together, yet you make posts like the above. There is a political thread if you want to make political statements. I follow this thread to get updates and important information about the Cvirus. I would hope we could keep it in that vein. 

I am guilty here too.  With my thoughts on the stimulus.  I am sorry.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am guilty here too.  With my thoughts on the stimulus.  I am sorry.

I think talking policy is good and an important aspect of this. We don't have to be dicks to one another, but we're also not here to blow sunshine up each other's asses either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

I think talking policy is good and an important aspect of this. We don't have to be dicks to one another, but we're also not here to blow sunshine up each other's asses either. 

Yeah, but I could have maybe not called democrats petty little shits.  Ya know?

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well I hope you are right.  We have some damn smart people working day and night.  The best and brightest mankind has to offer.  

With the way this thing mutates, having already had three major mutations in such a short time frame.  I think it is best to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.  I pray you two are right.

Big Pharma is going to save us.  We will have treatments soon.  Book it. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Facepalm 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, but I could have maybe not called democrats petty little shits.  Ya know?

True. There is a balance between playing patty cake with one another and outright setting the place on fire. But at least you were calling them petty little shits over policy. Even though I believe you were wrong about that in the context of the stimulus bill, I can certainly deal with that. It wasn't a personal attack over politics, which I think we should try to avoid.

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

True. There is a balance between playing patty cake with one another and outright setting the place on fire. But at least you were calling them petty little shits over policy. Even though I believe you were wrong about that in the context of the stimulus bill, I can certainly deal with it. 

And to be fair, there is a stress on me currently I have never had to deal with as an adult.  I am now the only member of my family with an income.  My sister has brain cancer, she works at St Alphonsus and was told not to return to work until further notice.  Unpaid.  My father is living with me in my other guest room.  He is a cook and his restaurant closed, until further notice.  I am a young, single male, now responsible for taking care of two others, my money is now the only source of income in my house.  I had to evict my "friend with benefits" because she refused to social isolate.  She is now homeless because of my decision, she was one of my best friends.  I am still supporting her with $50 here and $80 there because I know she is sleeping in her car because of the decision I had to make, to protect my sister with cancer.  I signed up for 15 hours of OT this week, and 20 next week.

I am stressed.  I am very, very stressed.  

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

This is good news. 

I figured that’s where it was going to end up.  As long as we can avoid a fight over the wish list she presented I think this gets done soon. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Too many posts to read thru, so apologies if this is old news, but Sunnyvale CA-based Cepheid gets emergency FDA approval to use a Covid-19 test that can detect the virus in a mere 45 minutes. No special training is needed to add the test to their GeneXpert machine. There are 23,000 such automated systems worldwide and almost 5k in the U.S.  Nothing to send to an outside lab. Shipping of tests to start next week...

33 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

You can't have a series of shelter-in-place responses over the course of 17 months.  There won't be anything left to salvage.  You already see new rounds of infections hitting some countries.  At some point you can't fight Mother Nature.  We will have to let this thing burn through the population.

and yet some countries are controlling it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sjsbuff said:

Too many posts to read thru, so apologies if this is old news, but Sunnyvale CA-based Cepheid gets emergency FDA approval to use a Covid-19 test that can detect the virus in a mere 45 minutes. No special training is needed to add the test to their GeneXpert machine. There are 23,000 such automated systems worldwide and almost 5k in the U.S.  nothing to send to an outside lab. Shipping of tests to start next week...

Are we still short the swabs?  Yes shipping should have started this week.

29 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

You can't have a series of shelter-in-place responses over the course of 17 months.  There won't be anything left to salvage.  You already see new rounds of infections hitting some countries.  At some point you can't fight Mother Nature.  We will have to let this thing burn through the population.

I think what you’re going to see is the most susceptible to death older crowd will shelter in place for longer periods. The younger work force will want to get back to work and hopefully will wait until hospitals can handle the demand. 

13 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And to be fair, there is a stress on me currently I have never had to deal with as an adult.  I am now the only member of my family with an income.  My sister has brain cancer, she works at St Alphonsus and was told not to return to work until further notice.  Unpaid.  My father is living with me in my other guest room.  He is a cook and his restaurant closed, until further notice.  I am a young, single male, now responsible for taking care of two others, my money is now the only source of income in my house.  I had to evict my "friend with benefits" because she refused to social isolate.  She is now homeless because of my decision, she was one of my best friends.  I am still supporting her with $50 here and $80 there because I know she is sleeping in her car because of the decision I had to make, to protect my sister with cancer.

I am stressed.  I am very, very stressed.  

I bet. That is a brutally stressful situation. We've lost my wife's income. But we are older than you and have accrued plenty of savings, and we live frugally under normal circumstances, so we are in decent shape financially. I know it's hard, but keep your head up. You're a good man for doing that for your family. And god willing, you will all make it through this and closer than ever before. I know some people don't want to hear this sort of thing, but my prayers are with you.

• Like 6

Just now, Billings said:

New York appears to be a real mess

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52012048

I thought we were all expecting an increase in infections with the increase in testing.  I’m not a doctor but I don’t know if it necessarily means the infectivity is increasing.  

Just now, mugtang said:

I thought we were all expecting an increase in infections with the increase in testing.  I’m not a doctor but I don’t know if it necessarily means the infectivity is increasing.  

Agree.  They have to hope they are near the peak of the curve.  If nothing else this will get people to self isolate more.

39 minutes ago, Bob said:

One of my older tenants, in Laramie, WY mind you, came in and started absolutely gushing about Cuomo. Future presidential candidate?

Remember when everyone was on Rudy's nuts after 9/11?  That didn't turn out well.  Depends on what he truly has to offer.  

• Like 3

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3076323/third-coronavirus-cases-may-be-silent-carriers-classified

Not unexpectedly, there is evidence that China didn't report about 1/3 of the cases that tested positive (besides the problem of how ever many cases were untested that nearly everywhere is still trying to deal with).  The cases not reported appear to be people with very mild symptoms, or were asymptomatic or nearly asymptomatic.  It calls into question some of the analysis I have seen that say very few cases are asymptomatic.  I think it strongly suggests that the virus may have been much more likely to have been spreading undetected in other countries for weeks longer than was assumed.  The Chinese government has done their best to screw over the world by hiding information.

• Like 2