bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

Just now, mugtang said:

People also should consume...checks last tweet...a chemicals used to treat parasites in fish. So they consumed fish tank cleaner :facepalm:  

As for the Trump thing, yeah I wish he wouldn’t have done that, but Gov Cuomo has mentioned he was excited by the prospect of those drugs as well. 

Yep, it was Darwin award level idiocy on their part. Mind you, had they actually mixed and diluted it properly to a therapeutic dose, they might have lived. I'd have to defer to one of our resident medical professionals on that though.

1 hour ago, Billings said:

but how will people react to bulging overwhelmed hospitals?  and fear of that?

Not by staying in their rooms for 6 months. I promise you that.

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

16 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Testing changes this equation but we have to get readily available tests.

I dont think anyone disagrees with this. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

33 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Not by staying in their rooms for 6 months. I promise you that.

some will still isolate.  They will not freely spend $$, for a long time, schools wont reopen or be 2/3’s empty.  there is no instant turnaround.  better to knock it out quickly then the death of a thousand small cuts  We only come back with a comprehensive testing program.  Tests you get on demand with no doc.  I think there also has to be some kind if treatment becoming available that takes the load off the hospitals.

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Yep, it was Darwin award level idiocy on their part. Mind you, had they actually mixed and diluted it properly to a therapeutic dose, they might have lived. I'd have to defer to one of our resident medical professionals on that though.

So can we agree that it was a irresponsible for Trump to tout it as a possible cure but also irresponsible for the media to blame other people’s stupidity on Trump?

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Los_Aztecas said:

So what they actually mean is 'We are going to use this opportunity to get rid of a ton of salary and increase our profits, sorry Floe the flight attendant and Bill the pilot. Trump, where is our 50 bill ?' 

Making the case for a bailout. Like after 9/11.

5 minutes ago, Billings said:

some will still isolate.  They will not freely spend $$, for a long time, schools wont reopen or be 2/3’s empty.  there is no instant turnaround.  better to knock it out quickly then the death of a thousand small ctuts.  it only comes back with a comprehensive testing program.  tests you get on demand with no doc.  and some kind if treatment becoming available that takes the load off the hospitals.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. I'm simply saying that months and months of stay-at-home orders are literally impossible. People WILL stop obeying to work and live. Even when there is significantly less to work and live for due to a crippled economy and social unrest. If 'knock it out quickly' means locking down the country or much of it for months and months, I'm saying that they might as well plan to catch a unicorn. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. I'm simply saying that months and months of stay-at-home orders are literally impossible. People WILL stop obeying to work and live. Even when there is significantly less to work and live for due to a crippled economy and social unrest. If 'knock it out quickly' means locking down the country or much of it for months and months, I'm saying that they might as well plan to catch a unicorn. 

Exactly.  This is a new fact of life people will have to adjust to.  Look, even if Coronavirus kills 40,000 americans this year, you can't plunge the country and world into a depression.  Hell, even if it is 100,000.  We are looking at a 25% drop in GDP if this continues for more than a couple weeks.  You are going to have riots and all sorts of unrest.  This myth that the government can float everyone to stay at home and live on Pizza Hut and Amazon is insane.

Can you keep large gatherings closed?  Sure.  Can you keep schools out for the rest of the school year?  Sure.

But if you keep completely destroy demand like we are doing in California for more than a matter of weeks, the whole society collapses.

FFS, people are shouting down other people on social media for leaving their house!  In communities that might have a few cases per 100,000, on a disease that is likely to have a mortality rate of 1% or less in Western countries.  That is crazy.  We could save 20 or 30 thousand lives every year by dropping the speed limit to 25mph, but we don't.  We accept the tradeoffs.

My customers are doing everything they can to keep their doors open and be able to pay their employees.  Those are my phucking people.  I have a responsibility to them, not just my family.  And as long as they are allowed to keep their doors open, I'll be open for business too.  I had four appointments today, and two for tomorrow.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Making the case for a bailout. Like after 9/11.

You think they are just posturing? According to the posted article Delta said that after they come back from this (with the bailout) they are looking at coming back much smaller.

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

People should NEVER take the word of trump - he's a lair at best, dangerous at worst 

They also shouldn’t consume fish tank cleaner 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

So can we agree that it was a irresponsible for Trump to tout it as a possible cure but also irresponsible for the media to blame other people’s stupidity on Trump?

I totally and completely agree with you there. People are stupid, and people do really stupid shit when they're afraid. 

Call your goddamned doctor before trying random shit you find in your pantry that you use to kill parasites in your +++++ing fish.

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

They also should consumer fish tank cleaner 

To be fair, it isn't fish tank cleaner, it's an anti-parasitic that is given to fish. It's still technically the same stuff that would be prescribed... just in significantly different concentrations and delivery methods. Like I said before, Darwin Award level stupidity unfortunately. I feel bad for the wife and for any extended family that they may have. It's tragic regardless of how it occurred.

edit: I just read further clarification that it wasn't just chloroquine phosphate, but other shit as well. That makes this even more Darwin Award level stupid. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

FFS, people are shouting down other people on social media for leaving their house!  In communities that might have a few cases per 100,000, on a disease that is likely to have a mortality rate of 1% or less in Western countries.  That is crazy.  We could save 20 or 30 thousand lives every year by dropping the speed limit to 25mph, but we don't.  We accept the tradeoffs.

This.

25 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

You think they are just posturing? According to the posted article Delta said that after they come back from this (with the bailout) they are looking at coming back much smaller.

I'm sure there is truth to it. They are highlighting certain projections though.

13 minutes ago, mugtang said:

They also shouldn’t consume fish tank cleaner 

Sad as this is, there's a lot of cult 45 that buys into everything trump says......they have no way to identify the little lies from big lies and sift thru the BS to see he's literally wrong most of the time - then add in fox news & RW media /radio downplaying the virus for weeks and these people are totally under the spell :unsure:

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

My customers are doing everything they can to keep their doors open and be able to pay their employees.  Those are my phucking people.  I have a responsibility to them, not just my family.  And as long as they are allowed to keep their doors open, I'll be open for business too.  I had four appointments today, and two for tomorrow.

And this.

Your customers and people with severe versions coronavirus are both suffering, legitimately. We should actively work to minimize both. If someone in power says they are irreconcilable... well that is unacceptable and should get your ass thrown out of office.