bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

I love how you two are trying to casually bet on who lives and who dies. That's nearly as sad as the whole Best Buy parking lot internet tough guy shtick. 

I'll pass. 

Nah, we’re just trying to figure out a way to get your whiny little bitch ass off this board. 

• Haha 1

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist, began analyzing the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide in January and correctly calculated that China would get through the worst of its coronavirus outbreak long before many health experts had predicted.

Now he foresees a similar outcome in the United States and the rest of the world.

While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don’t support such a dire scenario — especially in areas where reasonable social distancing measures are in place.

“What we need is to control the panic,” he said. In the grand scheme, “we’re going to be fine.”

• Like 7
  • Cheers 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist, began analyzing the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide in January and correctly calculated that China would get through the worst of its coronavirus outbreak long before many health experts had predicted.

Now he foresees a similar outcome in the United States and the rest of the world.

While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don’t support such a dire scenario — especially in areas where reasonable social distancing measures are in place.

“What we need is to control the panic,” he said. In the grand scheme, “we’re going to be fine.”

This belongs in the good news thread!

1 hour ago, BYUcougfan said:

I am not sure how he wins with you.  If he was not holding press conferences daily, you would be infuriated too.

Not really. 

Pence is doing pretty good at the podium. Fauci seems like an earnest dude. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Not really. 

Pence is doing pretty good at the podium. Fauci seems like an earnest dude. 

Yah, I agree.  I don't need to see Trump prattling away up there for an hour a day.  Pence and Fauci should be doing those daily updates/briefing/press conferences. 

Trump obviously needs to be seen a lot right now, but he doesn't need to do the daily briefing.  Like today, he could have given a brief statement about the national guard and or legislation,  and taken a question or two, or maybe none.  For Pete sake, he doesn't need to talk/argue with reporters for an hour a day.  What a waste of time.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Yah, I agree.  I don't need to see Trump prattling away up there for an hour a day.  Pence and Fauci should be doing those daily updates/briefing/press conferences. 

Trump obviously needs to be seen a lot right now, but he doesn't need to do the daily briefing.  Like today, he could have given a brief statement about the national guard and or legislation,  and taken a question or two, or maybe none.  For Pete sake, he doesn't need to talk/argue with reporters for an hour a day.  What a waste of time.

Whereas Trump was a disaster, Pence did a good job during the presser. 

• Like 1

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

My gf just finished the weekend working in the covid19 area of the ED. They are now going to be forced to make their own masks or have someone else make them due to shortages and hoardings. About 1/3 of the staff had been put on "watchful waiting" quarantine at home due to contacts with infected and if in a week they show no symptoms they come back to work. If they do show symptoms they are then tested. 

For us in the pharmacy though, still no ppe precautions but we are no longer forced to use gloves for dispensing usp800 hazardous drugs to save on supply. We are just doing tons of cleaning and disinfecting but don't have the manpower to do it after every patient. There has been a huge increase in panic buying and stocking on maintenance meds too. 

8 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

We need to make sure China shuts  down permanently all of those wet markets where many of these outbreaks originate 

I can't imagine them not doing it (chances are a lot of people won't go there anyway), however they do have very little control over some of the rural parts of China.  Some areas are practically their own country.

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

I posted something from Michael Levitt and people called the Nobel Prize winner mistaken and me an idiot. People want to believe the world is going to burn. They crave it 

Sure, I mean except for the part where that never happened. 

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

For real. Since when were Democrats adverse to free shit? 

Since when were republicans agains massive subsidizes and free stuff to major corporations?  Same ccrap n both sides just different groups benefit

9 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

We need to make sure China shuts  down permanently all of those wet markets where many of these outbreaks originate 

I don't think that is our call or within our abilities at this point frankly

14 minutes ago, Bob said:

Pence for president 2024? I think so 

Don Jr. Will be the gop nominee in 2024. Bookmark it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Don Jr. Will be the gop nominee in 2024. Bookmark it.

Gross

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Well when the whole world gets thrown into chaos because of their l markets our hand is kind of forced , wouldn’t you think 

I'd have been interested to see how loud and quick we'd tell everyone to eff off if the whole world tried to tell us what to do with the derivatives market in 2008.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.