bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Did the kid have an already-compromised immune system, heart disease or the like? Anecdotal evidence suggests that since he was only 34, he probably did.

• Cheers 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Did the kid have an already-compromised immune system, heart disease or the like? Anecdotal evidence suggests that since he was only 34, he probably did.

Vapers might have issues I'm hearing 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

The patient age you show is a breakdown of all test results, positive or negative. So out of curiosity I went to that dashboard and switched the results filter to only positive test results.

The percentage of positives in each of the over 20 age groups was pretty evenly distributed also. The range was 11% of the positives were 20-29 and at the top end 25% of the positive tests were 30-39. All other adult age groups ranged in between those two.

16 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Vapers might have issues I'm hearing 

Hadn't heard that but given that decades of heavy cigarette smoking seems to increase the risks associated with infection, there's some logic to it.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Hadn't heard that but given that decades of heavy cigarette smoking seems to increase the risks associated with infection, there's some logic to it.

The thoracic surgeons I’ve spoken to about smoking cigarettes vs vape say that the lung damage caused from vape is turning out to be “less operable” than cigarettes. I would imagine that would not be a good sign for those who vape and do catch this virus. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

So now that all of the hotels in Nevada and elsewhere, are or will be empty, what’s the level of difficulty involved if they have to be converted to makeshift medical facilities?

Maybe if it came to that, you could put some low risk people there.  But to convert to an actual hospital would be very tough.  Likely not enough electrical power capacity to handle medical equipment (some hotels may not have much emergency generator power backup either).  HVAC equipment is probably not going to meet the demands for increased equipment loads or ventilation and increased exhaust to keep the rooms at negative pressure to keep pathogens from spreading.  Carpeting/other building materials also not the best for cleaning and reducing germs. I'm not sure what the proposed tents look like or if they would be any better.

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

Cases of coronavirus more than doubled in Idaho today to 23.

Mostly in Blaine county where community transmission has begun.

I keep waiting for the huge jump in Utah but the biggest day of new cases confirmed so far has been 15.  The last 4 days saw 12, 12, 8, and 15.  I don’t know if that’s something to be optimistic about or if it’s just a case of limited testing.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

Cases of coronavirus more than doubled in Idaho today to 23.

Mostly in Blaine county where community transmission has begun.

Lots of wealthy people that travel a lot and thus more likely to have contacted the virus.

Still no deaths yet which is a good sign.

20 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I keep waiting for the huge jump in Utah but the biggest day of new cases confirmed so far has been 15.  The last 4 days saw 12, 12, 8, and 15.  I don’t know if that’s something to be optimistic about or if it’s just a case of limited testing.

Maybe Mormons are naturally immune. Could be the magic underwear, or all the inbreeding. 

• Haha 1

Jesus +++++ing Christ... he cares more about numbers than anything else.

The Trump administration is asking state labor officials to delay releasing the precise number of unemployment claims they are fielding, an indication of how uneasy policymakers are about further roiling a stock market already plunging in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

In an email sent Wednesday, the Labor Department instructed state officials to only “provide information using generalities to describe claims levels (very high, large increase)” until the department releases the total number of national claims next Thursday.

The email, which was shared with The New York Times, noted that the reports were monitored closely by financial markets and should therefore remain embargoed. “States should not provide numeric values to the public,” wrote Gay Gilbert, the administrator of the department’s Office of Employment Insurance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-outbreak.html

If the actual numbers are released, he can't continue to claim that unemployment is at an all-time low or any of the trend continuation from the Obama administration that he touts on nearly a daily basis.

Oh gee, I'm shocked, the administration and other parts of state and local governments knew that we weren't prepared for something of this magnitude, and did shit all about it.

The outbreak of the respiratory virus began in China and was quickly spread around the world by air travelers, who ran high fevers. In the United States, it was first detected in Chicago, and 47 days later, the World Health Organization declared a pandemic. By then it was too late: 110 million Americans were expected to become ill, leading to 7.7 million hospitalized and 586,000 dead.

That scenario, code-named “Crimson Contagion” and imagining an influenza pandemic, was simulated by the Trump administration’s Department of Health and Human Services in a series of exercises that ran from last January to August.

The simulation’s sobering results — contained in a draft report dated October 2019 that has not previously been reported — drove home just how underfunded, underprepared and uncoordinated the federal government would be for a life-or-death battle with a virus for which no treatment existed.

The draft report, marked “not to be disclosed,” laid out in stark detail repeated cases of “confusion” in the exercise. Federal agencies jockeyed over who was in charge. State officials and hospitals struggled to figure out what kind of equipment was stockpiled or available. Cities and states went their own ways on school closings.

Many of the potentially deadly consequences of a failure to address the shortcomings are now playing out in all-too-real fashion across the country. And it was hardly the first warning for the nation’s leaders. Three times over the past four years the U.S. government, across two administrations, had grappled in depth with what a pandemic would look like, identifying likely shortcomings and in some cases recommending specific action.

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Oh gee, I'm shocked, the administration and other parts of state and local governments knew that we weren't prepared for something of this magnitude, and did shit all about it.

Yeah, but since that simulation the leaders of the federal government has been scratching their heads trying to decide whether they should do something and if so, what.  So, they have been working on it.   

• Like 1