bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

You may have mentioned this but I wonder if this has been with us a lot longer.  In November/December I got hit suddenly with a fever, body aches and a nasty cough.  And when I went back to the gym it took awhile for my lungs to get back up to speed. 

I had nearly the same experience right after Christmas after visiting family in California.  Who knows?  Maybe Mug and I are now immune.

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

You may have mentioned this but I wonder if this has been with us a lot longer.  In November/December I got hit suddenly with a fever, body aches and a nasty cough.  And when I went back to the gym it took awhile for my lungs to get back up to speed. 

I had a nasty bout with flu early Dec which triggered adult onset asthma.

The coronavirus started in China early Dec. I'm pretty sure it didn't hit here until late Jan at the earliest.

But that Dec flu was a real bitch.

One of the Final Five..........

14 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Conversation I just had with a friend of mine. Now, he's an airline pilot, so you can understand where he's coming from...sort of. 

His basic argument is, "We are destroying our economy to avoid killing how many people?" 

It's not that simple......

My bro is an airline pilot also but he wouldn't agree with your friend.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Agreed. I tried that argument.

Whelp

While there's "only" a 1-3% mortality, that still leaves 20% who will require hospitalization with half of them needing ventilators. And unlike the flu, which happens over 4 to 5 months, this is going to be a tsunami in a short window which will drown our healthcare system if we don't flatten the curve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Whelp

While there's "only" a 1-3% mortality, that still leaves 20% who will require hospitalization with half of them needing ventilators. And unlike the flu, which happens over 4 to 5 months, this is going to be a tsunami in a short window which will drown our healthcare system if we don't flatten the curve.

Tried that argument too. :shrug:

2 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Surprised he didn't give himself a 12

With only 10 fingers, he can’t count that high. 

• Haha 3

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Just now, mysfit said:

The thing is, if we do succeed in flattening the curve, it will result in this being imperceptible to the masses who will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Better to overreact and kill this thing within a month than do nothing and overwhelm the healthcare system. 

• Like 7

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

52 minutes ago, mugtang said:

New guidelines to avoid groups of more than 10 people. 

Does that include MWC boarding?  Can we only have 10 people on the board at a time??  :lol:

down in a hole.jpg

22 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I used to work for a technology company here in Boise and back in December I got the worst flu I ever remember getting. Worst cough I ever had, and it took me about two weeks to recover.  We had people coming and going from China all the time. I met with many of them regularly. I wonder if i had it too. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Same thing happened to me, I got really bad cold/flu like symptoms (fever, chills, cough, congestion, aches) in the first week of February. I was down and out for 4 days, but I still have a lingering cough and it's been 6 weeks.  

• Like 2

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

16 minutes ago, mysfit said:

I had a nasty bout with flu early Dec which triggered adult onset asthma.

The coronavirus started in China early Dec. I'm pretty sure it didn't hit here until late Jan at the earliest.

But that Dec flu was a real bitch.

my wife was real sick beg. of Jan.   If it were now, we would have thought it was the COVID 19. 

12 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Whelp

Thats the thing - the US is not equipped to handle millions of hospital patients at once and the numbers show about 1M hospital beds and could end up with 4M sick people.  And people who have other issues would be compromised as well due to lack of resources. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Conversation I just had with a friend of mine. Now, he's an airline pilot, so you can understand where he's coming from...sort of. 

His basic argument is, "We are destroying our economy to avoid killing how many people?" 

Our economy will recover...the dead will not.

• Like 2