bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

7 minutes ago, easybronc said:

I doubt the mortality rate is anywhere close to 1%.  Its sounds like most people with the virus don't even know they have it because they have little or no symptoms and will never be tested.

The sky isn't falling.

I agree. However, I'm going to do my part.  My employer's office is open, but they're encouraging us to work from home and I will do so. I will also do my part, I'm going to hunker down, and minimize our family going anywhere indoors. It's a fairly nice day, I need to get out and get some early spring yard work done. Over the next couple weeks, maybe I can do a few spring cleaning projects, clean organize the garage.

• Like 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The overwhelmed medical system issue is directly tied to the mortality rate issue. Everything was shut down to try and prevent the medical system from being overwhelmed because that would exacerbate the mortality rate. I think people keep emphasizing the death rate, I being people, because not doing so makes it more likely this isn’t taken as seriously as it should and we get the exact problems with the systems you’ve laid out.

People are going to die. If we blow this a whole lot of them could die.

Yes, there is a relationship between adequate care and mortality but there are other factors impacting it as well.

There's the baseline mortality of the bug, and then additional mortality which could be prevented with adequate care.

You and I are in agreement. How to get this information disseminated so the general public understands it is the challenge. It's not simple. 

And the need for rapid action, the narrow window, is even more difficult to explain. If you're seeing the cases, the window is already closed. That's why action needs to be so aggressive.

One of the Final Five..........

21 minutes ago, easybronc said:

I doubt the mortality rate is anywhere close to 1%.  Its sounds like most people with the virus don't even know they have it because they have little or no symptoms and will never be tested.

The sky isn't falling.

You're right, the mortality rate is more like 2-3%.

And that's not based on a feeling, it's what's actually being recorded in areas where the virus has mostly passed, South Korea. They did everything just about right.

No one is saying the sky is falling. But we are on track for something like the Spanish flu. Hiding heads in the sand of it's just another flu isn't really effective.

3 minutes ago, mysfit said:

You're right, the mortality rate is more like 2-3%.

And that's not based on a feeling, it's what's actually being recorded in areas where the virus has mostly passed, South Korea. They did everything just about right.

No one is saying the sky is falling. But we are on track for something like the Spanish flu. Hiding heads in the sand of it's just another flu isn't really effective.

Again your quoting data but all those on the right believe is what the hear from Trump.  And what is his record to date: 

He claimed that it was contained in America when it was actually spreading. He claimed that we had “shut it down” when we had not. He claimed that testing was available when it wasn’t. He claimed that the coronavirus will one day disappear “like a miracle”; it won’t. He claimed that a vaccine would be available in months; Fauci says it will not be available for a year or more.

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Again your quoting data but all those on the right believe is what the hear from Trump.  And what is his record to date: 

He claimed that it was contained in America when it was actually spreading. He claimed that we had “shut it down” when we had not. He claimed that testing was available when it wasn’t. He claimed that the coronavirus will one day disappear “like a miracle”; it won’t. He claimed that a vaccine would be available in months; Fauci says it will not be available for a year or more.

I know.

Trying to get facts out there in a calm and respectful manner.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm probably as liberal as they come, but lets stop focusing/bashing on Trump.  Its not the time.  This situation would be difficult for any leader, and any of our previous Presidents would have made multiple mistakes during this.  

And in sports news:

This 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, bsubroncochick said:

She traveled recently but to a low risk state. Mild symptoms and self isolated. That’s all I know right now. There was just a press conference.  She’s in Blaine county.

Thanks, sounds like not community.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm probably as liberal as they come, but lets stop focusing/bashing on Trump.  Its not the time.  This situation would be difficult for any leader, and any of our previous Presidents would have made multiple mistakes during this.

I have refrained from bashing Trump until now. He has been treated unfairly by the media in all phases of his presidency. However, he has handled this crisis abysmally. Yes, his behavior is no different than it has been throughout his presidency: Minimize, obfuscate, lie, and shift blame. However, this time his failing has been so spectacular that it boggles the mind.  No administration could have been expected to weather this crisis without any missteps but his has been so paralyzed and ineffective that he deserves every criticism he gets and then some. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

I have refrained from bashing Trump until now. He has been treated unfairly by the media in all phases of his presidency. However, he has handled this crisis abysmally. Yes, his behavior is no different than it has been throughout his presidency: Minimize, obfuscate, lie, and shift blame. However, this time his failing has been so spectacular that it boggles the mind.  No administration could have been expected to weather this crisis without any missteps but his has been so paralyzed and ineffective that he deserves every criticism he gets and then some. 

There is a more critical reason to criticize Trump.... it’s the only thing that motivates him.  

I do believe properly motivated he will use the power of the Presidency to do the critical things needed to combat the pandemic.  Trump has repeatedly shown he is completely driven by his own self interest so making this about him is what is best for this country.

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

They were added to the list today

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Yeah I've seen that speculation

It also may have been more personal. He likes Johnson and has been pro brexit.

Might have been his way of getting some digs in on other euro leaders.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

And in sports news:

Makes me wonder if the French are blaming Macron. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg