bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Does the president have this kind of authority?

No, but do you think a little thing like the Constitution is gonna dissuade him???

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

Without researching, there may be something also involving interstate commerce that gives some authority also. But that would mean closing off an entire state at its borders and airports.

My understanding is that within a state's boundary, the state has responsibility for quarantine and isolation.

Only Congress has the authority to limit interstate commerce. 

crazy couple of days.  

Only good thing is I pulled from the market before all this began and I was only down 3k or so.

Geez did not expect this much volatility

52 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Italy has been teetering on the brink of economic ruin since the Great Recession (arguably, since the formation of the EU... arguably since the end of WWII). They have become uber reliant on tourism, and are now largely fooked. I really don't know how they recover from this.

Seems to me that the EU is more and more going to become a Federal system of nation-states. I mean if their neighbors don't want to see mass immigrations from the Med into Germany/Austria/Switzerland, etc., there will need to be another substantial bailout. The European model is looking more and more like a product of antiquity that will need to be cast aside in this global economy. Maybe COVID-19 will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

That was the way it was going a decade ago, but the ever greater integration of the EU reversed about a decade ago.

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

That was the way it was going a decade ago, but the ever greater integration of the EU reversed about a decade ago.

That's the direction it was heading. I think the economic meltdown from COVID will reverse the trend. Will be interesting to watch.

1 hour ago, mysfit said:

I hate the thought of the President making this call

But it probably needs to happen sooner than later. We need to start trying to isolate and contain area.

And we need to do it now 

Yup, phuck the Constitution. No goddamnit!! Every phucking time we relinquish some of our civil liberties we never get them back. See the Patriot Act, FISA Courts, NSA Survailance Program. I do not want to see us go down that damn road again.

• Like 3

Great news!!  The Tool concert in Eugene for today was canceled, so since Idaho has no cases, Tool is already in Boise and starting to set up!!!  All is right with the world.....

• Like 1

down in a hole.jpg

6 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Great news!!  The Tool concert in Eugene for today was canceled, so since Idaho has no cases, Tool is already in Boise and starting to set up!!!  All is right with the world.....

Whew! That's a huge load off my mind right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Whew! That's a huge load off my mind right now. 

I just wanted people to know, that through this crisis, there are rays of sunshine!

• Cheers 1

down in a hole.jpg

A slightly less controversial strategy may be for telcos and other companies to start sharing people's movements etc. with government agencies so that spreaders' range of potential exposure can be understood and shared with affected people. Maybe that's already being done, have any of you heard anything about this?

2 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

I just wanted people to know, that through this crisis, there are rays of sunshine!

There will also likely be beer at the concert. And maybe a snack or two. Happy thoughts are good thoughts!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

A slightly less controversial strategy may be for telcos and other companies to start sharing people's movements etc. with government agencies so that spreaders' range of potential exposure can be understood and shared with affected people. Maybe that's already being done, have any of you heard anything about this?

That was what South Korea was doing.

down in a hole.jpg

14 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Sounds like a very ripe breading ground for the virus. How many people from Oregon and Washington will attend?

Just now, BroncoOrange said:

Sounds like a very ripe breading ground for the virus. How many people from Oregon and Washington will attend?

Oh, I'm going wearing a giant condom.  I should be safe. :D

• Haha 3

down in a hole.jpg

12 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

That was what South Korea was doing.

Still is, and it seems to be working pretty well. They've administered hundreds of thousands of tests yet only hard-quarantined a couple thousand people. And their death rates are at the very bottom end of the scale. I have some concerns about using tracking data this way, but since apparently every damn ad company can track us, maybe we can use that data for the benefit of all for a change.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Time to turn off the phone then, or at least disable GPS .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Still is, and it seems to be working pretty well. They've administered hundreds of thousands of tests yet only hard-quarantined a couple thousand people. And their death rates are at the very bottom end of the scale. I have some concerns about using tracking data this way, but since apparently every damn ad company can track us, maybe we can use that data for the benefit of all for a change.

Yes, it has been working for them. The country of South Korea could fit inside Southern Idaho and has a population of $51 million. Logistics of doing this is not the same. Large number of people in a very small area. We could do something similar here, but would take much longer to ramp up.