bornontheblue

Corona Virus - How bad is it going to be?

28 minutes ago, bnastyaztecs said:

The Trump administration barred a top US disease expert from speaking freely to the public after he warned the coronavirus might be impossible to contain

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-anthony-fauci-trump-admin-stops-discussion-2020-2

That's the definition of handcuffing...his 2021 budget defunds the CDC budget...Congress has not approved it...that's the unvarnished truth....welcome to reality.....

17 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Ok, we’re done on the sports side. Now that battle borne has disabused you of the definition of handcuffing, especially when controlling mixed messages is very important, we can move on to the bs about the budget. You admit yourself the hypothetical cuts to the cdc has not been passed, which is kind of the whole ball of wax as President’s don’t control the power of the purse, Congress does. They passed a budget that cut nothing which Trump signed. That’s the unvarnished truth, welcome to reality and the big boy board.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Man...  6 confirmed deaths and only 18 confirmed cases in Washington State.  Would imagine there are currently hundreds of cases in the state.  It's being reported that lots of schools, etc. are being closed because of potential cases.

https://www.wdel.com/news/national/six-confirmed-coronavirus-deaths-in-washington-state/article_adcc258e-0d49-5f7a-b5e1-030246732c36.html

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Man...  6 confirmed deaths and only 18 confirmed cases in Washington State.  Would imagine there are currently hundreds of cases in the state.  It's being reported that lots of schools, etc. are being closed because of potential cases.

https://www.wdel.com/news/national/six-confirmed-coronavirus-deaths-in-washington-state/article_adcc258e-0d49-5f7a-b5e1-030246732c36.html

Shit is getting real up here in the Great Northwest. The lines at our local Costco here in Bend over the weekend supposedly stretched from the checkout all the way to the back where the meat is. Apparently they ran out of toilet paper, paper towels, and bottled water. So at least there should be some reasonably clean asses and piles of empty plastic bottles.

I'll never understand people's urge to buy massive volumes of bottled water in every real and perceived crisis. I guess it's cheap and gives them a sense of being in control when they look at a trunk full of bottles. Still feels dumb. My house has this technology where I lift a lever in certain rooms, and water comes out of a faucet. It's just like bottled water, just without the bottles and much better for my wallet and the environment. :shrug:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

I'll never understand people's urge to buy massive volumes of bottled water in every real and perceived crisis. I guess it's cheap and gives them a sense of being in control when they look at a trunk full of bottles. Still feels dumb. My house has this technology where I lift a lever in certain rooms, and water comes out of a faucet. It's just like bottled water, just without the bottles and much better for my wallet and the environment. :shrug:

This is beyond my understanding, too. Unless the coronavirus knows how to turn valves, I think the water supply should be good. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This is beyond my understanding, too. Unless the coronavirus knows how to turn valves, I think the water supply should be good. 

In some rural areas they have like two guys who know how to run the water plant. I live in a place like this.

If they are both out, they'd likely have to impose a boil water order, or turn off the water, while they bring someone in who knows what they're doing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Two strands of concertina wire and land mines are going up around my yard tomorrow. To hell with my HOA covenants. 

Get plenty of ammo. Need to be prepared for the zombies after the mass infection. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Shit is getting real up here in the Great Northwest. 

As of Monday afternoon, the emergence of the novel contagious illness at the Life Care Center of Kirkland, Washington, had left four residents dead and others hospitalized, local health officials said. A health care worker also has been hospitalized. In total, Washington state has reported six deaths, officials said.

Officials previously said that of the nursing home’s 108 residents and 180 staff members, more than 50 have shown signs of possible COVID-19 infections, the name given the illness caused by a novel coronavirus that emerged from Wuhan, China, late last year.

https://khn.org/news/nursing-home-outbreak-spotlights-coronavirus-risk-in-elder-care-facilities/

Yup.  Outbreak at a nursing home is where 4 of the deaths are from.

2 minutes ago, CV147 said:

In some rural areas they have like two guys who know how to run the water plant. I live in a place like this.

If they are both out, they'd likely have to impose a boil water order, or turn off the water, while they bring someone in who knows what they're doing.

I definitely get why rural people would do it. And while some of the people at Costco are likely from rural areas, I bet it's more freaked out city dwellers hoarding.

7 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

That's a big concern. The speed of the infection and death was a matter of a week or so.

AND 19 firefighters who responded to that nursing home are now in isolation, with almost all showing symptoms.

19 Washington firefighters who showed symptoms of coronavirus moved to isolation

From CNN's Julia Jones 

The 19 firefighters who showed symptoms of “having a serious exposure to a confirmed COVID-19 patient” in King County, Washington, have been moved to isolation, according to Doug Stern, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters. 

These 19 firefighters are part of the 25 CNN reported earlier were in quarantine after responding to calls at the Life Care Center nursing facility. All are firefighters with the Kirkland Fire Department.The remaining firefighters will remain in quarantine.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick. Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see whether they become sick.

Stern said that while most of the isolated firefighters are showing symptoms, a few of the firefighters are being isolated only because of their exposure.

5 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Indeed. People are getting a little panicky up here. I bet it will get pretty widespread, pretty quickly in the NOrthwest. 

12 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Sure, but you can, like, fill up your bathtub in 5 minutes with more water than you bought in that pallet.

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

Sure, but you can, like, fill up your bathtub in 5 minutes with more water than you bought in that pallet.

True. I don't have a pallet. But I understand people wanting the convenience. Stores here run low on bottled water every time there's a boil water order, which is about twice a year.

10 minutes ago, CV147 said:

That's a big concern. The speed of the infection and death was a matter of a week or so.

AND 19 firefighters who responded to that nursing home are now in isolation, with almost all showing symptoms.

Those 19 firefighters are not available for emergency responses or for fighting fires.  

This is an example of another problem with the virus: its ability to take emergency and medical personnel out of action.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Right, but I live in Portland, and I'm seeing the same scene about 2-3 times a year (usually it's E. coli or snow related). Plus, once you have the water, shouldn't you have it for a while? 

I store water myself, but I have a pretty good system going on. I need reverse osmosis water for my saltwater aquarium water changes. So what I do is keep a whole bunch of those 5 gallon water jugs filled. In an emergency situation, those can be used as water supply. Doesn't taste great but perfectly drinkable. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Right, but I live in Portland, and I'm seeing the same scene about 2-3 times a year (usually it's E. coli or snow related). Plus, once you have the water, shouldn't you have it for a while? 

I store water myself, but I have a pretty good system going on. I need reverse osmosis water for my saltwater aquarium water changes. So what I do is keep a whole bunch of those 5 gallon water jugs filled. In an emergency situation, those can be used as water supply. Doesn't taste great but perfectly drinkable. 

I don't know.

People get panicked thinking that it will all be gone and rush out to buy it, thereby causing it all to be gone.

Tragedy of the commons or something?

• Like 1