Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Vanessa Bryant Suing Pilot

16 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

It can be very difficult and isn’t my cup of tea...especially when dealing with creditor claims (such as pending lawsuits) and estate tax filings.  

I don't mind administering pourover wills, so long as the deceased did a good job staying on top of managing their trust (or whatever other vehicle they were using).  Nevada and Washington, the states where I practice, both have summary administration procedures that can make it much easier to probate.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:08 AM, battle.borne said:

Why would you care?

It's not that I care, it's that although Kobe was a legend on the court and loved by many but he was also really phucking arrogant. I just don't want to find out that a he pressured the pilot into flying in unsafe conditions to fuel his own ego as Kobe is a helicopter pilot as well. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

I think it's a little cold hearted of a multi-millionaire to go after the estate of the pilot.  His family is suffering with his death too.  Chances are his family is middle-class and might not have the endless supply of money Vanessa does to defend this.  What bothers me the most about this crash is seven other people died too.  A child or maybe two children are now orphans.  At least Vanessa has her three other girls and enough money to buy any kind of help she needs.

down in a hole.jpg

5 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

It's not that I care, it's that although Kobe was a legend on the court and loved by many he was also really phucking arrogant. I just don't want to find out that a he pressured the pilot into flying in unsafe conditions to fuel his own ego as Kobe is a helicopter pilot as well. 

My gut says this is probably what happened.  The pilot said the conditions aren't good and Kobe didn't have enough time to get to the game by then, other than to fly.

down in a hole.jpg

56 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

It's not that I care, it's that although Kobe was a legend on the court and loved by many he was also really phucking arrogant. I just don't want to find out that a he pressured the pilot into flying in unsafe conditions to fuel his own ego as Kobe is a helicopter pilot as well. 

I cannot imagine a scenario where a privileged world famous athlete would demand something of people beneath him on the socioeconomic ladder....  :ph34r:

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

3 hours ago, Broncomare said:

My gut says this is probably what happened.  The pilot said the conditions aren't good and Kobe didn't have enough time to get to the game by then, other than to fly.

We will never know. 

As for Vanessa Bryant pushing this to make sure it never happens isn’t going to change a thing for future flights. Changing the safety and regulations are up to the FAA, which is notoriously SLOW in changing regulations. 

19 hours ago, Broncomare said:

I think it's a little cold hearted of a multi-millionaire to go after the estate of the pilot.  His family is suffering with his death too.  Chances are his family is middle-class and might not have the endless supply of money Vanessa does to defend this.  What bothers me the most about this crash is seven other people died too.  A child or maybe two children are now orphans.  At least Vanessa has her three other girls and enough money to buy any kind of help she needs.

I suppose this is the narrative that the media likes to portray which is very unfair to Vanessa Bryant.  The reality is that the case is against an insurance carrier.  I personally don't feel bad for many insurance carriers and have seen some of them treat persons very poorly.

2 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I suppose this is the narrative that the media likes to portray which is very unfair to Vanessa Bryant.  The reality is that the case is against an insurance carrier.  I personally don't feel bad for many insurance carriers and have seen some of them treat persons very poorly.

I don't feel bad for the insurance carriers but if she is going after part of the pilots estate, like his life insurance money that should go to his family, then she is cold hearted.

down in a hole.jpg

well here is another thought.  Kobe contracted the services of the helicopter company and pilot.  The other passengers were probably considered his guests and most likely did not enter into any contractual relationship with the helicopter company since they probably were not asked to pay for the helicopter ride to Thousand Oaks.  The next question, whether there were any liability waivers signed by any of the passengers to fly on the helicopter?  I have seen that occur before...that could also change the whole dynamic with respect to the helicopter company and their legal exposure.

8 minutes ago, SBBulldog85 said:

well here is another thought.  Kobe contracted the services of the helicopter company and pilot.  The other passengers were probably considered his guests and most likely did not enter into any contractual relationship with the helicopter company since they probably were not asked to pay for the helicopter ride to Thousand Oaks.  The next question, whether there were any liability waivers signed by any of the passengers to fly on the helicopter?  I have seen that occur before...that could also change the whole dynamic with respect to the helicopter company and their legal exposure.

I was thinking something along the same line where his estate might be sued by the families of those who also perished if he made the arrangements for the flight. I’m sure the lawyers will have their claws into one of the parties. 

On 2/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, soupslam1 said:

Never proven but the cloud is still there. In the basketball and celeb world Kobe is near the pinnacle. 

He admitted that, "the sex was not consensual to her," and paid his victim 3.7 mil to go away. Kobe had just signed a 137 mil contract so that was pocket change.  Kobe then had to buy Vanessa a 4 mil "I'm sorry" diamond ring. The younger generation that doesn't know of/or the whole story thinks highly of him.