Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fowl

Sorry Horses Asses

23 minutes ago, RSF said:

None of which gives them power.  Makes them a great program...on the court.  Neither Indiana not UCLA has done shit in years.  Still power programs.  Power is not what happens on the court.  Thats why the AAC is mocked for their P6 campaign.

In my opinion, Indiana and UCLA are blue bloods, not power programs.  They just haven't done anything in years.  MSU, Arizona, Florida, Wisconsin, Villanova, I would call those power programs.  Gonzaga has recently been at that level.

13 hours ago, Fowl said:

“As a whole, we’ll be able to get whatever players we want,” Dutcher said. “As much as we’re not in a power conference, we’re not a mid-major. We’re a power conference school in a mid-major conference, is the way I look at our program. We’ve always had the best transfers. These kids we have now, they could have gone anywhere in the country and they still thought this was the best fit.

I think y'all might want to reread the quote. He doesn't claim to be a power school. He claims to be a power conference school in a mid-major conference. There are lots of schools in power conferences that have non-power basketball programs. SDSU fits the profile of a power conference school (Academics, Enrollment, Sports Programs, Research, etc..) in many ways. They also have a basketball program that has seen elevated success for the past decade or so and that has begun to build a national brand. I don't think anyone would argue that SDSU basketball is >= Gonzaga basketball. Coach Dutcher certainly did not say that. I also don't believe that is SDSU's goal. I think they are focused on being the best SDSU they can be. 

All that aside, I like the attitude. I wish more schools in our conference would adopt an attitude like that similar to Boise in football and SDSU/UNLV/New Mexico in basketball (Nevada probably soon to join). 

4 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Gonzaga has recently been at that level.

To be honest, it's been more than recently. Back when Nevada beat Gonzaga to advance to the sweet 16 ('04) they had already established themselves as a national program.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

15 hours ago, Fowl said:

“As a whole, we’ll be able to get whatever players we want,” Dutcher said. “As much as we’re not in a power conference, we’re not a mid-major. We’re a power conference school in a mid-major conference, is the way I look at our program. We’ve always had the best transfers. These kids we have now, they could have gone anywhere in the country and they still thought this was the best fit.

OK well Dutch best not be losing to Nevada or USU like last season because neither one of us can get whatever players we want.

16 hours ago, Fowl said:

Very, very, very, bad karma heading into the Dance

16 hours ago, Fowl said:

Pretty arrogant. Maybe if the program can sustain something good for a while, but many were giving up on him last year and just about had it. I sure did. This is a historic year so far, and it could tank at any moment. He needs to be consistently good and he never has as HC. 

kat.jpg

12 hours ago, Poster17 said:

True, but SDSU has put together a great run the past 10-12 years.  To make that jump to be considered a Power school in bball, they need to make the final four.  Similar to Gonzaga.  It took a great run over time by Gonzaga, but they were not the Power school until they took the final step.  SDSU has set themselves up to take that step.  

It's an important step that SDSU has been able to maintain it's success after they lost the coach who gets all the credit for building it. That's something that UNLV hasn't been able to do almost 30 years after Tark left... minus a few Kruger years

10 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

In my opinion, Indiana and UCLA are blue bloods, not power programs.  They just haven't done anything in years.  MSU, Arizona, Florida, Wisconsin, Villanova, I would call those power programs.  Gonzaga has recently been at that level.

Good post. I'd actually put Arizona in the blue blood category. They've been doing it a long time under different coaches. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Good post. I'd actually put Arizona in the blue blood category. They've been doing it a long time under different coaches. 

No way. They're one of the top programs still...but they're almost as far-removed from their heyday (80s & 90s) as UNLV is...and Midnight Lute Olson was Tark's whipping boy. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Good point.

Boise is 13-5 vs the Pac 12 schools since 2006. <------better point

Spin it anyway you like, Boise is not a power program. They're a top notch G5 program.  Not a power program. 

They are far from the status of Oregon, Washington or USC.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Boise fans trying to prove they are a power program.

top master GIF

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

15 hours ago, Poster17 said:

Get to the final four, and you can consider yourself a Power school.  Until then, they are a big fish in a small pond.

So when are you going to contribute to make this a lake instead, from a pond?

49 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Boise fans trying to prove they are a power program.

top master GIF

Bsu football plays at the p5 level like I said. Rankings and records vs p5 prove it for about 20 years.  I know suds is finally having a little success in football since BYU, Utah and Tcu left but you clowns haven’t done anything.  Zero big ooc wins and no big bowls. Long may they reign.    

6 wins a year will be a good year for suds the next few years. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

14 hours ago, RSF said:

Gonzaga basketball is not a power program, and neither is Boise football.  Because they have no power, which has little to do with on-the-court/field success.

First, the whole notion of “power” in a collegiate sport was retarded to begin with. 

Second, the notion that it’s the money that changes hands (beyond the reach of the actual athletes) that decides what teams are considered “power” - and supersedes actual performances by the athletes themselves - is why college sports are mocked.

23 hours ago, Fowl said:

Dutcher is doing the right thing here.

College sports is a big PR game. Anyone that doesn’t realize that by now is an idiot.

14 hours ago, RSF said:

None of which gives them power.  Makes them a great program...on the court.  Neither Indiana not UCLA has done shit in years.  Still power programs.  Power is not what happens on the court.  Thats why the AAC is mocked for their P6 campaign.

The AAC is trolling the system. Anyone mocking them for that are mindless marks

22 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

never been passed the Sweet-16, but they're a POWER school. 

lol

but they do own this conference tho 

Just prior to BYU MBB leaving (against their wishes) the MWC was a stout MBB league.

(Mind you, this was before this latest CFP marketing campaign. But putting that aside...)

The additions, subtractions, and then the revenue distribution, altered the formula that made the MWC a multiple bid league.

It was an unfortunate chain of events that started with “The Project”.. got exacerbated by BSU/SDSU to the BE/AAC (which triggered more additions that watered down the SOS... and proceeded to devolve as unequal revenue distribution ravaged all the pinched pennies in the MWC Olympic sports (which were further spread thin by cost of attendance).

Pretty soon an MWC 20 game schedule will be put in place.

All these forces could have been prevented. The MWC has no business being at 11 teams in MBB for a 20 game schedule. It could’ve stayed a top flight smaller league.

Furthermore, Gonzaga was a very real possibility that didn’t happen. 

Such Self-inflicted wounds have given Dutcher no other choice but to take a hard line with his verbiage.

13 hours ago, battle.borne said:

To be honest, it's been more than recently. Back when Nevada beat Gonzaga to advance to the sweet 16 ('04) they had already established themselves as a national program.

Agreed. I would say around the time Adam Morrison, Ronny Turiaf, and Derek Raivio were on the squad, so circa ‘04-‘06.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg