Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

UNLV is a dangerous out in the MWT

This will get PH all up in a lather, but it's the truth. They have the athletes to beat anybody and they're at home. They finally have a coach that can make good in-game adjustments. When they play well they can play very well. I for one, do not want my squad to play them. @Bob- thoughts on your Falcons chances against UNLV should they play them? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

San Diego State is the only truly dangerous opponent in the tourney.  USU is the the next tick down but you can pretty much throw a blanket over the rest of the conference. Any of those schools can get an upset or 2 in the tournament.  After SDSU there is a lot of parity.

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

This will get PH all up in a lather, but it's the truth. They have the athletes to beat anybody and they're at home. They finally have a coach that can make good in-game adjustments. When they play well they can play very well. I for one, do not want my squad to play them. @Bob- thoughts on your Falcons chances against UNLV should they play them? 

I dont agree that TJO has shown better game adjustments or has shown himself to be a better coach of the game than the last coach.

But I do agree that the style he likes to employ works better for undersized and under talented teams. It also is aan explosive style, as you said, because of all the shooting. Plus weve seen it work with Kruger. So I do get the optimism. 

Having the home court in the tourney has helped them get an extra win or two each year.  I will be exceptionally surprised if they get past the quarters. Especially if they manage to beat SDSU or the Utags in doing so.

On second thought, nah.  

Ain't happening.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

54 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Having the home court in the tourney has helped them get an extra win or two each year.  I will be exceptionally surprised if they get past the quarters. Especially if they manage to beat SDSU or the Utags in doing so.

On second thought, nah.  

Ain't happening.

I’m sure you’re right, but we did beat USU by about 20 the first time we played. But a lot has changed since then. Aztecs? Yeah probably not happening, I’m sure they’re fully aware we only lost to them by 4, so they’ll be ready.

But I don’t think any of us have any aspirations of getting more than a win, or especially two. We’re just happy to see progress, especially in player development. There is just a little more fun for us now. 

16 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I’m sure you’re right, but we did beat USU by about 20 the first time we played. But a lot has changed since then. Aztecs? Yeah probably not happening, I’m sure they’re fully aware we only lost to them by 4, so they’ll be ready.

But I don’t think any of us have any aspirations of getting more than a win, or especially two. We’re just happy to see progress, especially in player development. There is just a little more fun for us now. 

There’s a difference between aspirations and reality.  I aspire for UNLV to win the MW tourney.

UNLV isn't gonna shoot the ball vs. SDSU like they did against CSU's sorry ass defense.. CSU/UNM only kept it as close as they did against UNLV because they rely on soft officiating getting them to the FT line 25-30+ times/game. I don't care if UNLV is the beneficiary of bad officiating or not, any game where a team is going to the FT line THIRTY TIMES in a FORTY min game is a f*cking disgrace to the sport. 

Anyway, SDSU will probably run through the tourney unless they really take their foot off the gas in the Finals game. Which wouldn't be the worst idea either...If I were Dutcher I would definitely prefer a 2-seed in West over a 1-seed out East. But if the Asstecs want the MWC Tourney--they're gonna get it. Any top-5 team should be expected to run through a mediocre-to bad MWC as if it was nothing. SDSU definitely needs to close the season strong though, the Selection Committee will forgiving if they drop 1 game before the Dance, but definitely not 2. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

UNLV isn't gonna shoot the ball vs. SDSU like they did against CSU's sorry ass defense.. CSU/UNM only kept it as close as they did against UNLV because they rely on soft officiating getting them to the FT line 25-30+ times/game. I don't care if UNLV is the beneficiary of bad officiating or not, any game where a team is going to the FT line THIRTY TIMES in a FORTY min game is a f*cking disgrace to the sport. 

Anyway, SDSU will probably run through the tourney unless they really take their foot off the gas in the Finals game. Which wouldn't be the worst idea either...If I were Dutcher I would definitely prefer a 2-seed in West over a 1-seed out East. But if the Asstecs want the MWC Tourney--they're gonna get it. Any top-5 team should be expected to run through a mediocre-to bad MWC as if it was nothing. SDSU definitely needs to close the season strong though, the Selection Committee will forgiving if they drop 1 game before the Dance, but definitely not 2. 

RebelRobert has guaranteed a UNLV victory against SDSU this Saturday.

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

You sound angry that refs call fouls on your team.

I think its more of a disgrace that a team can’t play defense without fouling.  UNLV is 314th in the nation in Free Throw Attempts as a percentage of Field Goal Attempts. Easily the worst in the MWC.  UNLV tries to play a classic style that defends the three-point line and forces the ball to be driven, then they make sure youre not successful shooting layups. It works well when you have a free throw shooter as poor as Carvacho, especially when you force him to shoot 1-and-1’s.  But there’s also a reason that UNLV is 14-14.

And yes CSU’s defense was sorry ass yesterday.  But that same team held UNLV to 10-32 in Fort Collins a couple of weeks ago, a number more in line with UNLV’s season averages.  You should probably celebrate the great shooting last night.  Probably would have beaten almost anybody.  UNLV was fantastic last night.

52 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

You sound angry that refs call fouls on your team.

I think its more of a disgrace that a team can’t play defense without fouling.  UNLV is 314th in the nation in Free Throw Attempts as a percentage of Field Goal Attempts. Easily the worst in the MWC.  UNLV tries to play a classic style that defends the three-point line and forces the ball to be driven, then they make sure youre not successful shooting layups. It works well when you have a free throw shooter as poor as Carvacho, especially when you force him to shoot 1-and-1’s.  But there’s also a reason that UNLV is 14-14.

And yes CSU’s defense was sorry ass yesterday.  But that same team held UNLV to 10-32 in Fort Collins a couple of weeks ago, a number more in line with UNLV’s season averages.  You should probably celebrate the great shooting last night.  Probably would have beaten almost anybody.  UNLV was fantastic last night.

I'm pretty consistent in complaining about soft officiating whether UNLV is playing or not (and praising good officiating like in the BSU/SDSU game). CSU was flopping all over the court and the refs were rewarding it...anytime a team is getting a 20+ FT advantage is just not good basketball. The MWC's aversion to teams that play physical defense is why a MWC team has never made it passed the Sweet-16....and why very good UNM and BYU MWC Championship teams back in the day used to get straight up bullied in the Dance.---Used to have this same exact argument with BYU fans when they consistently led the MWC in FT attempts, then they would be dumbstruck on why Lee Cummard wasn't being sent to the FT line everytime he got touched in the lane after Texas A&M would buttf*ck them in Round of 32. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Just not sure the fans will show up at the tourney to give the rebs enough of a home environment to make it really an advantage.  That being said Rebs could definitely make the finals given a good draw.  But so can CSU, Boise, Reno and USU. 

I'm looking forward to the UNLV/Boise game next week at the Mack.  I think that will tell us a lot.  

18 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

I'm pretty consistent in complaining about soft officiating whether UNLV is playing or not (and praising good officiating like in the BSU/SDSU game). CSU was flopping all over the court and the refs were rewarding it...anytime a team is getting a 20+ FT advantage is just not good basketball. The MWC's aversion to teams that play physical defense is why a MWC team has never made it passed the Sweet-16....and why very good UNM and BYU MWC Championship teams back in the day used to get straight up bullied in the Dance.---Used to have this same exact argument with BYU fans when they consistently led the MWC in FT attempts, then they would be dumbstruck on why Lee Cummard wasn't being sent to the FT line everytime he got touched in the lane after Texas A&M would buttf*ck them in Round of 32. 

Your team fouls a lot.

2CE30C52-D2CC-4B00-A212-976189E5EC6C.jpeg

57 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Just not sure the fans will show up at the tourney to give the rebs enough of a home environment to make it really an advantage.  That being said Rebs could definitely make the finals given a good draw.  But so can CSU, Boise, Reno and USU. 

I'm looking forward to the UNLV/Boise game next week at the Mack.  I think that will tell us a lot.  

Not only that, but all the other fans cheer against them, lol. It's rarely a home court advantage from a fan perspective as far as crowd noise.

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

Im torn on this. It immediately makes me want to check boises road record. But still a win over Leon with evenly matched teams would be a definite feather in Totz cap. Even if bsu struggles on the road. 

32 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Im torn on this. It immediately makes me want to check boises road record. But still a win over Leon with evenly matched teams would be a definite feather in Totz cap. Even if bsu struggles on the road. 

What are you torn on? Do you mean that if we beat Boise at home it might not be that big a deal? What if we get whooped? Maybe that would be more telling than a UNLV win?