Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobonado

Fire Weir!

20 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

UNM was going to pay Alford 2 million 5 years ago. That’s still competitive. Basketball will always be the Lobos identity. Obviously the money is there for a winner.

How different is the money situation at UNM between then and now?  The AD there seems to be having some issues.  

8 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

How different is the money situation at UNM between then and now?  The AD there seems to be having some issues.  

Unm is broke. I’m guessing they have boosters who would pony up the money for a quality hire. Not sure where they were during the last round though. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

4 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Unm is broke. I’m guessing they have boosters who would pony up the money for a quality hire. Not sure where they were during the last round though. 

UNM went cheap that's what happened. After our last AD gave noodles an extension and pay increase, we had the buyouy to deal with. Our former AD has been indicted and charged for his corruption that put us in this bind.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:55 PM, Lobo Amor said:

UNM went cheap that's what happened. After our last AD gave noodles an extension and pay increase, we had the buyouy to deal with. Our former AD has been indicted and charged for his corruption that put us in this bind.

UNM went cheap because they are cheap.  UNM has no money.  

UNM's players appear to be about half a step away from outright quitting on the court. Pretty much the worst body language and attitude I can recall on any UNM team in my lifetime (and that includes Neal's cluster+++++ teams). Say what you want about Noodles. At least his teams didn't outright quit. It's not just wins and losses at this point. It top to bottom program toxicity. 

The Lobos offense is mostly one on one basketball either driving to the hoop or shooting a three. I saw very few screens or ball movement by the Lobos. Their shot selection at times is very poor. The Lobos have some good players, they don’t play together well as a team. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

The Lobos offense is mostly one on one basketball either driving to the hoop or shooting a three. I saw very few screens or ball movement by the Lobos. Their shot selection at times is very poor. The Lobos have some good players, they don’t play together well as a team. 

No screens. Poor to non-existent ball rotation. Terrible transition defense. The team doesn't box out. They don't move well without the ball. At times there are really bad spacing issues on the court. The overall body language of UNM's team is terrible. The MWC has some decent coaches like Leon Rice and they are really exposing Weir as being piss poor. 

3 hours ago, PTR said:

UNM's players appear to be about half a step away from outright quitting on the court. Pretty much the worst body language and attitude I can recall on any UNM team in my lifetime (and that includes Neal's cluster+++++ teams). Say what you want about Noodles. At least his teams didn't outright quit. It's not just wins and losses at this point. It top to bottom program toxicity. 

Weir brought in a bunch of bad kids. 

21 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Weir brought in a bunch of bad kids. 

I'm not going to speak to the kids that have been kicked off the team. With the current kids on the roster, I don't think they're "bad kids". I think it's more of a case of Weir brought in a bunch of immature kids and failed to reign them in. Right now there is a leadership vacuum. That in addition to atrocious fundamental basketball has brought UNM to their current situation. That and the upper tier MWC teams are much better than the dogshit teams we beat during OOC. 

17 minutes ago, PTR said:

I'm not going to speak to the kids that have been kicked off the team. With the current kids on the roster, I don't think they're "bad kids". I think it's more of a case of Weir brought in a bunch of immature kids and failed to reign them in. Right now there is a leadership vacuum. That in addition to atrocious fundamental basketball has brought UNM to their current situation. That and the upper tier MWC teams are much better than the dogshit teams we beat during OOC. 

From an outsiders perspective it seems like the players don’t care and have quit. Weir shouldn’t have brought in so many low character kids. Did he feel like he had to because he’s worried about his job after year 1?

10 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

From an outsiders perspective it seems like the players don’t care and have quit. Weir shouldn’t have brought in so many low character kids. Did he feel like he had to because he’s worried about his job after year 1?

He's in year 3. I agree, in that there seems to be apathy and infighting going on. That's largely on the coaching staff imo. Inconsistent discipline. Some players are pulled. Some players can turn the ball over 6 times in a half and never get pulled. Weir has no real rhyme or reason to substitution patterns. I'm not really sure what his thought process was or is to be honest. He seems over his head and I don't think his players respect him. 

6 hours ago, PTR said:

No screens. Poor to non-existent ball rotation. Terrible transition defense. The team doesn't box out. They don't move well without the ball. At times there are really bad spacing issues on the court. The overall body language of UNM's team is terrible. The MWC has some decent coaches like Leon Rice and they are really exposing Weir as being piss poor. 

There was a point in the second half where Zane Martin had to pick up his dribble.  He passed to Lyle and then immediately turned his head away with a facial expression of disgust knowing he wouldn’t see the ball again on that possession.  It was 2020 UNM in a nutshell. I dont think I have ever seen a team so fractured.

16 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

There was a point in the second half where Zane Martin had to pick up his dribble.  He passed to Lyle and then immediately turned his head away with a facial expression of disgust knowing he wouldn’t see the ball again on that possession.  It was 2020 UNM in a nutshell. I dont think I have ever seen a team so fractured.

Yeah. I know that exact play. There are dozens of these types of player on player issues every game. The end of the season can't get here quickly enough.