Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JuwanHWolv

JuwanHWolv‘s Combined Mega Thread On Everything

11 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I was looking for the Mel Gibson masterpiece Apocalypto on Blu-ray today. You can't find it for less than $80. What the Hell?

Good movie, but horribly inaccurate like most of Gibson's films.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

12 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I was looking for the Mel Gibson masterpiece Apocalypto on Blu-ray today. You can't find it for less than $80. What the Hell?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000SKAT2Q/ref=tmm_blu_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1581699242&sr=8-1-spons

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

You have to check the region codes. Those won't play on US Blu-ray players. I tried a region B in my XBOX One X and it wouldn't play it. Wouldn't play on my Blu-ray player either.

Still less than 80.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000NQQ4ME/ref=tmm_mfc_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1581700035&sr=1-2

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

28 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I like the movie and you never see it on TV. If you're asking why it's so expensive I am not sure.

I have been to Peru and Chile. Also have been to Belize. There are still tribes like that and they tell stories similar to what is in the movie. You don't see many movies based on the subject. The Emerald Forest with Powers Booth is the only one I can think of.

I guess I'm just wondering why, with so many rental options available today, anyone would actually want to buy a movie.

I assume $80 was for a purchase not a rental.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Yeah. I just like being entertained. And it's a pretty powerful movie when it comes to the brutality and the stort. The tribal warfare and slavery set in the film is no joke and not for the faint of heart.

Also, the last scene of the movie where the remaining group is chasing the character Almost on the beach and they see the boats coming was brilliant.

That's my biggest beef with the film. Gibson specifically said the movie was about the Mayan Empire, but at the end of the film with the Spanish ships coming ashore wouldn't have happened. The Mayan Civilization collapsed in the 900's. Spain didn't arrive until 500 years later in the late 1400's. It really bugs me when I see a film go through all the trouble for historical authenticity, but completely throw historical accuracy to the wind. The only film that does a fantastic job of historical authenticity while telling a fictional historical story is Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. That movie is amazing. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

14 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

That's my biggest beef with the film. Gibson specifically said the movie was about the Mayan Empire, but at the end of the film with the Spanish ships coming ashore wouldn't have happened. The Mayan Civilization collapsed in the 900's. Spain didn't arrive until 500 years later in the late 1400's. It really bugs me when I see a film go through all the trouble for historical authenticity, but completely throw historical accuracy to the wind. The only film that does a fantastic job of historical authenticity while telling a fictional historical story is Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. That movie is amazing. 

The Mayans were still very active, although reduced and fragmented, as a civilization in the post classic period from the mid 900s thru the 1500s.  Cordoba was among the 1st to engage the Mayans at Campeche in 1517, but the last of the independent Mayan kingdoms wasnt finally conquered until late 17th century.

1 hour ago, ridgeview2 said:

49 minutes ago, RSF said:

The Mayans were still very active, although reduced and fragmented, as a civilization in the post classic period from the mid 900s thru the 1500s.  Cordoba was among the 1st to engage the Mayans at Campeche in 1517, but the last of the independent Mayan kingdoms wasnt finally conquered until late 17th century.

Yeah I mean, there are still Mayans today with their own language and culture.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

17 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Pawn shops my man. Also, since you're legit TRYING to buy it but can't, pirating is a morally acceptable option.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

Hair Thompson has often talked about the legendary coaches who were in the MWC at its founding...

Well, the MWC needs THAT back.

IMO, SJSU, NM, UNLV, etc, can ALL stay, but every school needs to surrender their autonomy in coaching hiring, and allow Hair to construct a coaching advisory committee that will place the best experienced coaches at EVERY school. The advantages to doing this are multi-folded.

1, You already know what “retread” coaches can do. AND while some MAY have nothing left in the tank, if the MWC allows the conference to go full retread, enough of them will hit.

2. Secondly, it’s doubtful that the MWC will  EVER lose so many coaches to poachers again if the MWC Coach Hiring Advisory Board hits the sweet spot in the ages of the coaches they place.

This would be my new New MWC:

Boise State - HC Art Briles

SJSU - HC Houston Nutt

San Diego State - HC Brady Hoke

Hawaii - HC June Jones

Colorado State - HC Bob Stoops

New Mexico - HC Dennis Francione 

Fresno State - HC Butch Jones

Nevada - HC Hal Mumme

Wyoming - HC Mike Shula

Utah State - HC Ruffin McNeill 

UNLV - HC Tyrone Willingham

These are obviously good choices, as some of them already have MWC jobs.

Nevertheless, this group is known and they would provide stability for years to come. They are probably as much (or more) well known than the schools themselves.

its just smart to get coaches that already have a brand, and let the conference vote on who should go where.

The MWC Coach Hiring advisory committee should consist of: Dennis Erickson, Chuck Neinas, Bob Kustra, Brittan Banowski, and Steve Logan 

Just like I did with his former account, @FormerFrog, I’ve restricted Juwan’s ability to start threads and have merged most of his recent threads into this one.  He can still respond to threads. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Bring back tree condom. 

He was never banned. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 1/3/2020 at 3:25 PM, JuwanHWolv said:

Has Craig Thompson and MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher considered matching up the MWC & MAC Champions in a Champions Bowl game?

The MAC seems very open to working with the MWC and we are seeing a lot of bowl pairings as a result.

Why not pair the Champions too, instead of leaving the Conference Champion vulnerable to losing against a 7 win PAC team? Boise gains nothing by beating UW and I’d argue that loss was damaging to conference perception.

However, if Boise State would’ve dominated the MAC Champion the Broncos would’ve finished ranked in the Top 20.

Edit: Of course if either league gets into the access bowl they’d send their runner up.

There could even be a bowl series cup for the most wins.

attention-whore-gif-3.gif

attention-whore-gif.gif

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

15 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Was that a sock?

Tree condom was awesome and WHO CARES if it’s a sock???! You didn’t like his ideas. So what? It is a message board, not a church. Debate is allowed. Expecting message board posters to espouse a party line defeats the purpose of a forum. Whether you’re mugtang, Tree condom, former frog, or Shack (aka RSF).

Every one of us is “Former Frog” 🐸