Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JuwanHWolv

JuwanHWolv‘s Combined Mega Thread On Everything

7 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

I expect Kellen Moore to be the coach by that time 

Probably sooner than later. 

The timing of Boise State’s removal from the ESPN family is a little curious after Harsin’s Speech on Boise being unique unto itself and needing to be presented as such.

Boise is breaking new ground here and that can’t be understated. I thing making a NY6 bowl would’ve greased the wheels with the WWL in these negotiations for the Broncos rights. But it sounds like both sides may have been ready to move on.

3 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

I mean the next deal is 7 years from now.  Who knows what sort of crazy $hit will happen by then in terms of membership.

Boise's rights may be worth nothing, or they may be in the Big 12.

If they leave, then good for them they earned it, but if they are still in the MW, then it is good for the conference that their special deal is over.  

Okay, I'm usually on top of these things, but I admit ignorance, how much of an increase is this from current?

1 hour ago, JuwanHWolv said:

All I know... is I’m happy with this new arrangement.

And Thompson’s shrewd move to make this the absolute last time that Boise is treated differently from, say, UNM, is the cherry on top of the sundae.

I wonder where ESPN will allocate those windows.

Lol, there is no wiggle room in the deal.  It stays in place as long as Boise says it does, period.

4 minutes ago, jdw said:

Okay, I'm usually on top of these things, but I admit ignorance, how much of an increase is this from current?

Significant.  About 3.75 million per team.  Boise close to 6.

Boise's deal far outclasses any AAC school considering length of contract and no production costs.

26 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I am hearing Boise State agreed to drop the special deal on the next go around. It was a mutual agreement. Kind of interesting.

Probably because 8 schools will split and leave BSU alone with Hawaii and SJSU.

It’s good for conference stability and unity.  

40 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Lol, there is no wiggle room in the deal.  It stays in place as long as Boise says it does, period.

Cool story.  And what if Boise says is doesn't??

There is no such thing as perpetuity in a contract, even if the word is in the contract.

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Cool story.  And what if Boise says is doesn't??

There is no such thing as perpetuity in a contract, even if the word is in the contract.

If Boise says it doesn't, then it doesn't.  If Boise says it does, then it does.  That simple.

Be glad you are getting the welfare you are, without Boise each MWC team would be getting a lot less then 3.75 million.

5 hours ago, jdw said:

I’m afraid you won’t get an accurate answer in this thread; the people talking about it are adding numbers that don’t exist in the actual wording of the deal.  The official wording I’ve read just talks about preference for Boise as it relates to channel/network slots, there isn’t mention of additional money.  Each team will get a little under 4m/year.  If someone would like to link where it states extra money I would appreciate it because I don’t see it in the release.  Boise isn’t on espn anymore so they don’t get the 1.8 right? Why would any school agree to give some of their share to Boise? It just doesn’t add up.

12 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’m afraid you won’t get an accurate answer in this thread; the people talking about it are adding numbers that don’t exist in the actual wording of the deal.  The official wording I’ve read just talks about preference for Boise as it relates to channel/network slots, there isn’t mention of additional money.  Each team will get a little under 4m/year.  If someone would like to link where it states extra money I would appreciate it because I don’t see it in the release.  Boise isn’t on espn anymore so they don’t get the 1.8 right? Why would any school agree to give some of their share to Boise? It just doesn’t add up.

Craig Thompson specifically said that Boise would get the extra share.  Page 4 and 5 of the transcript.

https://themw.com/documents/2020/1/9//MW_Media_Rights_Agreements_Teleconference_Transcript.pdf

Boise got more money to "rejoin" the MW.  Applies to this deal, but probably not the next deal.

15 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Nowhere in the Boise contract does it stipulate that Boise must be with ESPN.  Boise will be getting right around 6 mil a year,  Their set up completely shits on your schools.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nowhere in the Boise contract does it stipulate that Boise must be with ESPN.  Boise will be getting right around 6 mil a year,  Their set up completely shits on the AAC's 12 year streaming rights deal.

Still peanuts compared to the P5s. If we got their money, the east side stadium renovation would start immediately. 

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Still peanuts compared to the P5s. If we got their money, the east side stadium renovation would start immediately. 

It could start immediately, but Wyoming fans would sorely be disappointed as it doesn’t include a pedestrian bridge to their highest Yelp rated restaurant.  

14 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nowhere in the Boise contract does it stipulate that Boise must be with ESPN.  Boise will be getting right around 6 mil a year,  Their set up completely shits on your schools.

12 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Still believe your own lies? You do know this is posted everywhere right? This is the numbers:

Deal is for six years SPLIT WITH CBS AND FOX

3.8 for the MWC 10

2.5 for Hawaii plus 1.3 million to equal the MWC 10's total cash payout. Then you minus 20% of that for being football only giving Hawaii just over 3.5 million a year.

Boise gets the extra 1.8 million giving  them 5.6 million a year.

One thing that has not been reported was a small fraction of basketball games will still be on ESPN.

Thr MWC keeps their third tier rights (Just like I said.) Boise only has them for Olympic sports. This will benefit some more than others however Hair made it sound like they are selling them together. NFL Network is interested.

Hawaii negotiations with Spectrum starts in July. They could make more raising the conference total even more.

The MWC still has a lot of games they can negotiate with. Probably be more about exposure than money so ESPN+, Stadium, and CBS sports streaming service are all bidders.

No one is leaving to join the AAC. When this is all said and done the MWC 10 should be at $4.5 easily. Boise should be at or around $6. Hopefully Hawaii gets a big raise for their PPV contract giving us an even bigger raise.

Read it yourself.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/mountainwest.sidearmsports.com/documents/2020/1/9/MW_Media_Rights_Agreements_Teleconference_Transcript.pdf&date=1578612346

To be fair, this probably wasn’t reported on East Coast SportsCenter. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You should just stop posting about MWC athletics, something you clearly know nothing about.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

19 hours ago, JuwanHWolv said:

I feel for BruinInTheBay right now.. I know he was hoping to bet on a different media horse.

i do hope this ignites SJSU

So this is the new TedfordTrain account?  Welcome back.  I don't know what you are referring to about my feelings but rest assured I have no personal stake in the Mountain West's success or failure in media negotiations.  

I hope that that some of this increased media revenue will help SJSU get their football ops building built on time.  Whether that 'ignites' SJSU I have no idea - having visitor locker rooms nice enough for Stanford to use so we can get the Bill Walsh Classic back is about the extent of my interest.

ESPN and the Mountain West aren't breaking up because ESPN is in the Bowl game business.  The current bowl agreements are set to expire the same year that the conference's media right expire.

ESPN holds bowl games in the stadia of Hawai'i, New Mexico and Boise State.  These bowl games get decent ratings for ESPN given the payout for the game and the bowl games are usually among the highest rated broadcasts featuring Mountain West teams in any given year so ESPN is probably happy.