Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Colorado State at UNLV

image.jpeg image.jpeg

DATE: Tuesday, February 18, 2020
TIME: 7:30 p.m.
SITE: Tarkanian Court, Thomas & Mack Center (18,000), Las Vegas
TV: CBS Sports Network (John Sadak, Michael O’Donnell)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Curtis Terry, sideline: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com
STATS: Live Stats at Gameday App & UNLVRebels.com

Head Coach: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T.J. Otzelberger
UNLV Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13-14 (.481)/1st season
Career Record: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 83-47 (.638)/4th season

TJO is tied with Max Good at 13 career wins at UNLV - TJO needs 4 wins to tie Roland Todd in 9th place in all-time wins at UNLV

Currently TJO is one of three HC's at UNLV with losing records ( TJO, Cleveland Edwards & Tim Grgurich) 

The 2019-20 season marks the 62nd year of Runnin’ Rebel basketball at UNLV. Since the program’s inception in 1958-59, the Runnin’ Rebels have posted an all-time record of 1,301-581 (.691)

UNLV leads the all-time series 40-17

UNLV is 23-5 all-time at home vs. CSU and have won six of the last seven at the Thomas & Mack Center

The 2019-20 season marks the 37th year of Runnin’ Rebel basketball in the Thomas & Mack Center. UNLV has posted an all-time record of 498-131 (.792) in the arena since it opened in 1983

The first meeting between the two schools occurred in 1979

CSU is 5-4 in true road games this season

CSU has won four of its five games and nine of 11. The Rams are coming off a 77-70 victory at Wyoming on Saturday

CSU ranks 24th in the country in assists per game (15.6) and 26th in field-goal percentage (.472). Carvacho is 10th in the country in rebounding

The Runnin’ Rebels, who have won two of their last three games overall and seven of nine at home, are coming off of a 78-73 win over New Mexico at The Pit on Saturday

Sophomore guard Bryce Hamilton and Hardy lead the Runnin’ Rebels in scoring, averaging 15.3 and 14.2 points per game, respectively. Hamilton has scored in double figures in 14 straight games and has tallied 23 or more in five of his last eight outings. Diong is the team’s leading rebounder with 8.2 per contest (4th in MW)

UNLV has outrebounded its opponent in 20 of its 27 games this season. UNLV is 12-8 in those contests.

UNLV ranks No. 1 or No. 2 in the Mountain West for conference-only games in rebounding, rebound margin, steals, offensive rebounding and defensive rebounding

22 percent of UNLV’s games this season have gone to overtime (6 of 27)

UNLV holds the NCAA record for most consecutive games scoring at least one 3-pointer. Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 1,097 games played

luvHQ7Fj_400x400.jpg

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

For MW Tournament this is a big game for both of these teams.

True from the fans’ perspective. You might be surprised to know that no one from the CSU team talks at all about the standings or the implications of winning or losing a game other than the game itself.  

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I like the Rebels tonight.  Colorado State’s wins on the road have been against teams with an average winning percentage of less than 40%.

The Tulsa game was a neutral site but still a good win.

It was kind of a neutral site game. It was still in Tulsa, just not on their home floor. 

I'm hoping CSU comes out with a fire after losing against USU and not playing well against Wyoming. We need this one.

19 minutes ago, HylianHero said:

It was kind of a neutral site game. It was still in Tulsa, just not on their home floor. 

I'm hoping CSU comes out with a fire after losing against USU and not playing well against Wyoming. We need this one.

They weren’t great against WYO but not as bad as it looked. Wyoming had a guy make 3-4 from the three-point line that had made 7 all year.  And a walk-on shoot 2-2 from three even though he hadn’t made one all year.  If those 2 went an average 2-6 instead of 5-6 the Rams would have won comfortably

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

We need this game for fifth place.  If we win out sans San Diego State, that should be good enough for fifth.

Interesting. In your scenario, UNLV finishes 11-7. CSU likely finishes 11-7, too, as their other games are SJSU, @SDSU, and AFA. BSU also probably finishes 11-7 with @SJSU, UNM remaining. There is also NEV who has @UNM, FSU, @Wyo, and SDSU remaining. As of now, I think 11-7 for NEV, is more likely than 12-6. However, NEV would win the 4-way tie-breaker in this scenario and it would go back to a 3-way between BSU, CSU, and UNLV. The seeds, I think, would then be:

3.) NEV

4.) BSU (wins 3-way tiebreaker between BSU, CSU, and UNLV by head-to-head record)

5.) UNLV (wins 2-way tiebreaker with CSU by virtue of a victory of USU, the presumed 2-seed)

6.) CSU

Conclusion: Nevada and UNLV should be rooting for each other, as their success can be mutually beneficial. Nevada can get on the opposite side of the bracket from SDSU and UNLV can get a bye.

Of course, many other things can happen and render everything I wrote moot. Though, I am guessing that the aforementioned 3-way and 4-way ties are most likely if UNLV in fact only lost @SDSU down the stretch.

EDIT: I think this was originally wrong, and it still could be. I attempted to correct. See @AztecBill's comment below

After the tiebreakers for multiple teams reduce the number of teams to 2, the tie-breakers revert to a two-team tiebreaker in which Colorado state is last due to being swept by Utah State who is presumably second in this scenario. 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

11 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Isn't 6th place a better seed for the tournament?

Only if you want to play 4 games. 

Who do you have to beat in each scenario assuming chalk:

5th place: 4th, 1st,  2nd. 

6th place: 11th, 2nd, 3rd, 1st 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

2 hours ago, AztecBill said:

Only if you want to play 4 games. 

Who do you have to beat in each scenario assuming chalk:

5th place: 4th, 1st,  2nd. 

6th place: 11th, 2nd, 3rd, 1st 

Right? In every scenario imaginable I'd rather only have to play 3 games.

Let's face it, for most of our teams, it won't matter if we lose to SDSU in the semis or finals. We still have to beat them and USU to make it in.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Isn't 6th place a better seed for the tournament?

The best chance at winning the tournament is not playing SDSU until the finals or just not at all. I'd play two extra games if you could guarantee that. Get me out of their bracket and give me two chances for lightning to strike and for some other team to take them out. 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

The best chance at winning the tournament is not playing SDSU until the finals or just not at all. I'd play two extra games if you could guarantee that. Get me out of their bracket and give me two chances for lightning to strike and for some other team to take them out. 

Nah, we want SDSU. They're going to intentionally tank the MWC Tourney to get a 2-seed out West instead of a 1-seed in the East. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif