Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boisewitha-s

The best MWC possible

26 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

That's the problem, not enough money goes to the football program. I guess they don't remember the $60 million the state threw at the BB program and it only made things worse. UNM has finally figured out how to make football profitable with money games and coaches who are taking less money so it can be pumped back into the program. Lobo football is on the rise, you should feel the energy here about it. Lobos signed a good foundational recruiting class with only three and a half weeks time of recruiting.

New Mexico has this obsession with basketball like if it was producing NBA players left and right. It's downright sickening. When I was coaching wrestling we didn't have any money to pay for our kids to eat at the state tournament because the school paid for the basketball team to spend another night in Albuquerque instead driving 90 miles back home after a game. Thank God the mayor of the town was in attentance and he pulled strings so  my wrestlers could eat.

Spring break revolves around the state basket tournament here, that's how bad it is. No other sport gets the support that basketball does here.

Fair enough. A couple of problems though.  You don’t build a program by playing money games and paying coaches less money. It’s actually pretty much the opposite way to build a program. As far as the state being  basketball crazy. Do you ever see this changing?  

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

If UNLV, SJS. New Mexico, had the emphasis on football that others in the conference do, they would be fine, if the leaders of the conference are bothered with the lack of production of any member that can be discussed within the conference membership. They all have potential to improve.

I do not like members that do not play all sports in the league

2 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Fair enough. A couple of problems though.  You don’t build a program by playing money games and paying coaches less money. It’s actually pretty much the opposite way to build a program. As far as the state being  basketball crazy. Do you ever see this changing?  

Well our coaches took less money because that's what they wanted, they are UNM alumni and care about the program personally.

No I don't see it changing where it will be replaced as the top sport. There is room though for love for Lobo football, it's been there before. Our AD came from LSU so he understands that football drives the bus.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

And the Lobos won't win one with Gonzales and Rocky despite the fact each is a damn good coach.

How many FBS football players come out of that state every year? Ten tops? And most of them leave to play college ball elsewhere. Then there's the fact NM has like the eighth lowest per capita income of the 50 states and therefore no potential to put a big influx of money into the program. I've previously said exactly what the OP does about UNM. Let 'em stay in the MWC but ask them to drop football and use the savings to improve their basketball program to one which can not simply get to the NCAAs once in a while but win some games when they get there.

As to SJSU, even the few Spartans who post here no longer bother to argue that their school deserves to remain in the conference.

We only signed one NM kid, rest came from Tex, Cali, AZ, & LA. New Mexico is #1 right at oil production in the nation. It is not broke anymore. Some og our legislators said that if we can get and keep attendance up they will pay for seats for our stadium. Things are looking up here not down.

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

You don’t think Unlv would be better off just dropping the sport and putting more effort into sports you have a chance of competing in?  

If UNLV has put emphasis in football they can as good as any one in this conference. I believe they completed a new football operations facility, and seems to have made a good hire in football.

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

You don’t think Unlv would be better off just dropping the sport and putting more effort into sports you have a chance of competing in?  

They have everything in place for big time hoops already.  Since Tark for the most part it's been a bust.   They need better AD/president leadership first and foremost.  They among SJSU and UNM would be the last ones I'd ask to drop football.  They haven't sniffed potential yet.   UNM and SJSU have crapped on potential.

I honestly don't think the MW will be asking any team to leave any time soon.   But l will play along.

However, I think SJSU should drop football and send the olympic sports to a more competitive conference for their athletes.   I would also have Hawaii go independent in football with an MW schedule agreement similar to ND and the ACC.  The MW would commit to 5 or 6 games a year and drop the travel subs, and allow Hawaii access to our HI bowl slot if eligible.  This would leave the MW as 10 conference and we could play round robin in olympic sports and still host a MW championship in football.

C’mon just forget the silly idea. The truth is despite those changes it wouldn’t make one iota of difference in how the MWC is perceived. We would still be a G5 league the networks use as low cost sports programming filler and the P5 big boys laugh at. 

59 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

C’mon just forget the silly idea. The truth is despite those changes it wouldn’t make one iota of difference in how the MWC is perceived. We would still be a G5 league the networks use as low cost sports programming filler and the P5 big boys laugh at. 

Exactly,  other than the P5 comment; they don't notice or care enough to laugh.

These folks who are looking for "improvement":shrug: To what end?

Didn't the conference just double it's media rights deal? Isn't that improvement?

32 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Exactly,  other than the P5 comment; they don't notice or care enough to laugh.

These folks who are looking for "improvement":shrug: To what end?

Didn't the conference just double it's media rights deal? Isn't that improvement?

I think the Boise fan is worried about MW hoops. 

4 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Lol

Well, they start playing in Allegiant Stadium next season, completed the Ferrtitta Football complex, hired a new HC and just had the #2 recruiting class in the MWC. Like I said, I think we’ll stick around.

18 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

So would this conference. They just wouldn’t be there every year and wouldn’t consistently kill the conference’s sos.  

I honestly don’t understand the mindset that it is a good thing to have consistently horrible programs in your conference. 

Because not everyone is an entitled, new money, deluded, self-important, wannabe Ohio State/ Alabama asshat fanboy of a team that still needs an FCS level colored field to make itself feel important....

Don't think for one second that there's not still a pretty heavy "f-ck Boise State" attitude and mentality among a lot of MWC fans. As far as I'm concerned, Boise State should be renamed byu* northwest.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

That's not the point. The point is to be able to run as many nickels together as possible while lessening the number of pieces of the pie. UNM football brings absolutely nothjing to the dinner table nor do any of SJSU's sports. Meanwhile having SJSU's miserable basketball program in the conference diminishes everybody else's RIP and other metrics, thereby being a drag on the chances of getting more than one conference team in the NCAAs. 

Boom goes the dynamite.

12 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

A few things that make sense and would really strengthen this great conference of ours. 

1-  San Jose drops football and moves its olys to the big west.  Having Joser in this league takes away an at large team every year because of the sos hit everyone takes just playing them. 

2-  New Mexico drops football and we let them keep olys here. New mex is so strapped for cash and their football program loses a ton of money.  They could put more money into hoops and get back to being a force in the MW  

3-  Unlv drops football and olys stay. Let’s get real they are like the 4th worse football program in college football history. They no longer have a stadium and zero fan support.  I know they only have 1 mw title in hoops, that is embarrassing.  Time to focus on a sport that they have been good at in the past.  

This would leave us with a perfect 9 team football league. Play a round robin schedule and championship game.  Nobody would have to take the annual sos hits anymore.  

This is really what would be best for Unlv, New Mexico, San Jose and the MW.

4. Boise st moves all it’s oly sports to the Big Sky. Why keep all the other ponies when they only have one horse that does tricks.

5. Replace Boise St’s oly with Hawaii’s oly sports. Immediate upgrade for the MWC in Baseball, basketball, volleyball and softball. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.