Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boisewitha-s

The best MWC possible

A few things that make sense and would really strengthen this great conference of ours. 

1-  San Jose drops football and moves its olys to the big west.  Having Joser in this league takes away an at large team every year because of the sos hit everyone takes just playing them. 

2-  New Mexico drops football and we let them keep olys here. New mex is so strapped for cash and their football program loses a ton of money.  They could put more money into hoops and get back to being a force in the MW  

3-  Unlv drops football and olys stay. Let’s get real they are like the 4th worse football program in college football history. They no longer have a stadium and zero fan support.  I know they only have 1 mw title in hoops, that is embarrassing.  Time to focus on a sport that they have been good at in the past.  

This would leave us with a perfect 9 team football league. Play a round robin schedule and championship game.  Nobody would have to take the annual sos hits anymore.  

This is really what would be best for Unlv, New Mexico, San Jose and the MW.

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

A few things that make sense and would really strengthen this great conference of ours. 

1-  San Jose drops football and moves its olys to the big west.  Having Joser in this league takes away an at large team every year because of the sos hit everyone takes just playing them. 

2-  New Mexico drops football and we let them keep olys here. New mex is so strapped for cash and their football program loses a ton of money.  They could put more money into hoops and get back to being a force in the MW  

3-  Unlv drops football and olys stay. Let’s get real they are like the 4th worse football program in college football history. They no longer have a stadium and zero fan support.  I know they only have 1 mw title in hoops, that is embarrassing.  Time to focus on a sport that they have been good at in the past.  

This would leave us with a perfect 9 team football league. Play a round robin schedule and championship game.  Nobody would have to take the annual sos hits anymore.  

With Air Force reportedly moving the AAC, it might be foolish to start kicking teams out.

Air Force is Boise's biggest rival in the MWC.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

With Air Force reportedly moving the AAC, it might be foolish to start kicking teams out.

Air Force is Boise's biggest rival in the MWC.

I’m not talking about kicking anybody out. Just what would be best for these schools and the mw. 

9 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

This all makes too much damn sense to happen. Solid idea with a couple of other added bonuses: 

SJSU moving their sports to the BW means a true double round robin for basketball. Conference slate stays at 18 games and you get two shots at everyone. USU only playing Nev/NM once each this year sucks. 

Able to take the top 2 rated football teams for the conference championship game. Taking 2019 as an example, Boise would have played AFA instead of Hawaii. 

Come on Rebs/NM/Joser - do it for the good of the conference. 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Eliminate those teams and where would the easy wins be for the rest of us? Every conference has its bottom feeders, even the SEC. 

1 minute ago, boisewitha-s said:

Not sure if you are joking. 

Maybe he is but I'm not. He's right, every conference has a perennial bottom feeder or two.

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Maybe he is but I'm not. He's right, every conference has a perennial bottom feeder or two.

So would this conference. They just wouldn’t be there every year and wouldn’t consistently kill the conference’s sos.  

I honestly don’t understand the mindset that it is a good thing to have consistently horrible programs in your conference. 

3 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

So would this conference. They just wouldn’t be there every year and wouldn’t consistently kill the conference’s sos.  

You've picked a bad year to make this argument; SJSU wasn't/isn't the worst in football or basketball.

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You've picked a bad year to make this argument; SJSU wasn't/isn't the worst in football or basketball.

Year in and year out they are at or very near the bottom. They don’t belong here. It would be best for them and the mw if they left. 

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

0.5/10

20 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

It’s not a troll. I have spoken with lobo fans who wish they would give up on trying to compete in football and spend more on hoops. It makes sense if you are objective. 

That's the problem, not enough money goes to the football program. I guess they don't remember the $60 million the state threw at the BB program and it only made things worse. UNM has finally figured out how to make football profitable with money games and coaches who are taking less money so it can be pumped back into the program. Lobo football is on the rise, you should feel the energy here about it. Lobos signed a good foundational recruiting class with only three and a half weeks time of recruiting.

New Mexico has this obsession with basketball like if it was producing NBA players left and right. It's downright sickening. When I was coaching wrestling we didn't have any money to pay for our kids to eat at the state tournament because the school paid for the basketball team to spend another night in Albuquerque instead driving 90 miles back home after a game. Thank God the mayor of the town was in attentance and he pulled strings so  my wrestlers could eat.

Spring break revolves around the state basket tournament here, that's how bad it is. No other sport gets the support that basketball does here.

23 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

They haven’t won a conference title in over 50 years.  

And the Lobos won't win one with Gonzales and Rocky despite the fact each is a damn good coach.

How many FBS football players come out of that state every year? Ten tops? And most of them leave to play college ball elsewhere. Then there's the fact NM has like the eighth lowest per capita income of the 50 states and therefore no potential to put a big influx of money into the program. I've previously said exactly what the OP does about UNM. Let 'em stay in the MWC but ask them to drop football and use the savings to improve their basketball program to one which can not simply get to the NCAAs once in a while but win some games when they get there.

As to SJSU, even the few Spartans who post here no longer bother to argue that their school deserves to remain in the conference.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

I agree with San Jose leaving, New Mexico and UNLV going to oly's only but I would be surprised if it ever happens.  We can only strengthen this league two ways, by deletion or addition. If you check the trouble the AAC is having in adding just one team you will see that deletion should be favored. It may cause a reduction in our new TV contract and it may cause AFA to abandon us as Stunner has been predicting. So there is no easy answer.