Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Mwc tournament seeding

1 minute ago, utaggies said:

It’s kinda like the old question, “What do you call the student who graduated last in his medical school class?” You call him doctor.

if the Aggies win their last two games against SJS and NM and then win two games in the MWC tourney, they will be in the “regular” tourney. If, for whatever reason, they stub their toe before selection Sunday and wind up in the play-in game — they are still in the tourney. 

Not quite an accurate analogy. At least we agree that it is a play-in game. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

Play in game or not I sure wish Boise State was in the conversation. Even if you lose, to participate in March Madness is a once in a lifetime thrill for most players and fans. You think the sixteen seeds and their fans aren’t happy as hell to be in the Dance? 

11 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

Not quite an accurate analogy. At least we agree that it is a play-in game. 

What do you call a participant in the play-in game? You call them a participant in the NCAA tourney and one of the top 50 teams in the country.

if the Aggies take care of business this discussion will be moot.

1 hour ago, aggzilla said:

You and others like you on the USU board have been spewing this crap the moment we got waxed by uDub last year. You see no other way of winning in the dance now unless we get sent to Dayton so that we can face a lesser opponent to secure a win. It's ridiculous. I don't care if we lost to Boise (not a bad loss, btw) and AFA. I want to win out and get as high of a seed as possible which, by the grace of the basketball gods, if win out and win the MWT, you're looking at a seed in the 7-9 range. In terms of perception for ourselves and the conference, it does nothing for us to get in by the skin of our teeth and get sent to Dayton.   

You can label the First Four any way you want, but the reality is it's a play-in game. You're playing your way into the field before the main portion of the tourney begins. And I want to say that an appearance in the first four used to be worth just a half-unit, but it appears that's changed. Congrats on being right about that. The pay doesn't change its perception. 

First bold: I see making crap up is a special talent of yours. I've never posted anything like this on the USU homer board. 

Second bold: Where did I say there was no other way USU wins a game in the dance? 

Third bold: Congrats on being wrong, I guess? I haven't seen anything to indicate the First Four was ever worth half a unit, but it's been at least five years if that was ever the case. 

Interesting fact: 8 of the teams who won their first four game advanced to at least the round of 32 (half went to the sweet 16 or farther), roughly 22% of all first four teams. If you remove the 16 seed first four games who have to play the 1 seed, that number doubles to 44%. I don't have time nor care enough to check how that compares to the normal probability for a team to advance, but there is validity to the getting on a roll argument. 

At the end of the day, let us pray USU 1. Makes the NCAA tournament and 2. Finally wins some games. :cheers:

17 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Play in game or not I sure wish Boise State was in the conversation. Even if you lose, to participate in March Madness is a once in a lifetime thrill for most players and fans. You think the sixteen seeds and their fans aren’t happy as hell to be in the Dance? 

The ones that don’t have to go to Dayton? Yeah, I’m sure they’re ecstatic. The ones that have to go to Dayton I’m sure they think it’s unfair they have to play their way into the tourney and go play this game on short notice after winning their respective conference tourney. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

1 minute ago, aggzilla said:

The ones that don’t have to go to Dayton? Yeah, I’m sure they’re ecstatic. The ones that have to go to Dayton I’m sure they think it’s unfair they have to play their way into the tourney and go play this game on short notice after winning their respective conference tourney. 

It’s better than playing in the NIT.

10 minutes ago, mondego said:

First bold: I see making crap up is a special talent of yours. I've never posted anything like this on the USU homer board. 

Second bold: Where did I say there was no other way USU wins a game in the dance? 

Third bold: Congrats on being wrong, I guess? I haven't seen anything to indicate the First Four was ever worth half a unit, but it's been at least five years if that was ever the case. 

Interesting fact: 8 of the teams who won their first four game advanced to at least the round of 32 (half went to the sweet 16 or farther), roughly 22% of all first four teams. If you remove the 16 seed first four games who have to play the 1 seed, that number doubles to 44%. I don't have time nor care enough to check how that compares to the normal probability for a team to advance, but there is validity to the getting on a roll argument. 

At the end of the day, let us pray USU 1. Makes the NCAA tournament and 2. Finally wins some games. :cheers:

The word 'and' is a connector, hence "you AND others like you..."... I never claimed you posted anything on the USU board. Second point, "The best case scenario for us" is how you put it in your original post. I mean, what other scenario is left? We've been the 12-seed many times and have failed where so many teams have been able to win and win consistently. Just trying to understand it from your point of view... how is a play-in game a "best case scenario" for us to win in the dance? What I come to is that we have failed so many times in the past and this is the scenario that offers us the best opportunity where we can achieve victory in the tourney... winning a play-in game. This mentality just reeks of defeatism and is common within the fanbase.    

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Was Boise the conference winner, the tournament winner, or an at large the year they played Dayton?

It was either conference winner or at large. Bsu has never won the tourney and I dont think we have ever played in the MW championship game. 

2 hours ago, aggzilla said:

The word 'and' is a connector, hence "you AND others like you..."... I never claimed you posted anything on the USU board. Second point, "The best case scenario for us" is how you put it in your original post. I mean, what other scenario is left? We've been the 12-seed many times and have failed where so many teams have been able to win and win consistently. Just trying to understand it from your point of view... how is a play-in game a "best case scenario" for us to win in the dance? What I come to is that we have failed so many times in the past and this is the scenario that offers us the best opportunity where we can achieve victory in the tourney... winning a play-in game. This mentality just reeks of defeatism and is common within the fanbase.    

We're probably talking past each other a bit. Winning a first four game IMO is our best chance this year to win a tournament game. If you don't consider the first four games as part of the "real" tournament (as you've made clear you don't), then it isn't our best chance and never will be - the best chance for winning a round of 64 game is obviously having a 7 or higher seed. The 8/9 game is historically a coin flip that I always pick wrong in bracket contests.

I would be elated if USU wins out and jumps up to a 6/7 seed by beating undefeated SDSU in the conference championship. The realist (defeatist?) in me says there's a very low chance of that happening. Hopefully Sam et al prove me wrong and take us all the way. 

1 hour ago, mondego said:

We're probably talking past each other a bit. Winning a first four game IMO is our best chance this year to win a tournament game. If you don't consider the first four games as part of the "real" tournament (as you've made clear you don't), then it isn't our best chance and never will be - the best chance for winning a round of 64 game is obviously having a 7 or higher seed. The 8/9 game is historically a coin flip that I always pick wrong in bracket contests.

I would be elated if USU wins out and jumps up to a 6/7 seed by beating undefeated SDSU in the conference championship. The realist (defeatist?) in me says there's a very low chance of that happening. Hopefully Sam et al prove me wrong and take us all the way. 

if this team can somehow find its touch from the outside, I believe we can win out. We’ll see. We can argue about play-in games, but I don’t think we should ever settle for that as a best chance of winning in the tourney, this season or any other. A knee jerk reaction on my part.. not directed at you so much as I’m just just tired of the pessimistic/defeatist attitude of Aggie fans in general. One reason I no longer frequent the USU board. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

On 2/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, renoskier said:

Was Boise the conference winner, the tournament winner, or an at large the year they played Dayton?

Auto bid teams can not get relegated to the play-in game (unless they are a 16 seed). Boise played in Dayton the past two times as an at-large. They did win a share of the regular season title one year, however (#1 seed in conference tourney, but stunk it up like they do every year).