Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

OT - EWU considering ending sports

1 minute ago, 307dude said:

The article snippet in the OP makes it pretty clear this is just something the faculty senate is asking the trustees to possibly consider. That’s a damned far cry from it actually ever happening.

Do the students and athletes have any say? 

15 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m just throwing shit out there to see what sticks. 

So which Aztec sports would you cut and which would you keep? Remember Title IX requires equal men and women participation. 

Which classes do you no longer offer because football took a loss on ticket sales?

10 minutes ago, 307dude said:

The article snippet in the OP makes it pretty clear this is just something the faculty senate is asking the trustees to possibly consider. That’s a damned far cry from it actually ever happening.

I feel like every college faculty bitches about sports at some point right?

I drive through Cheney WA, home of EWU a lot for work.  The EWU campus is a dump.  By all appearances that school has major funding issues just based on visible campus mantainence issues alone.  Since spring 2019 they've had to 'restructure programs' which have led to faculty position losses and the enrollment has been down recently adding to the problem.  I'm not surprised at all by the faculty senate discussing the value of the athletic department.

That's Rachel Dolezal's school isn't it? Should tell you all you need to know about the Faculty of the place. 

Nothing will come of this, but the idea of EWU "academic excellence" is kind of amusing to think about. 

37 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

They could probably save money by dropping football and joining the WAC.

Wouldn't cost too much to have a basketball program, and olympic sports.  Plus, it would still provide a campus life for their students. 

Football is EWU's most successful program by far.  Probably the only one that generates revenue.  I'd say drop everything else except the womens sports for Title IX.