Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

OT - EWU considering ending sports

Guest #1Stunner
33 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Football is EWU's most successful program by far.  Probably the only one that generates revenue.  I'd say drop everything else except the womens sports for Title IX.

Problem is that football is expensive.  Basketball is cheap.

16 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

It’s already going there. High school sports are a bigger cluster f$&k than college sports right now. 

Some elite athletes, boys and girls, aren't playing HS sports because the competition and coaching is better at the club level. 

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

“No positive impact on enrollment, retention or recruitment.”

It’s just like the stadium argument. You can point out that there’s very little private equity in stadium construction without massive subsidies but fans will argue how much money their school generates from the “investment.” The two “facts” don’t align for a reason.  

Depends on the cost of the stadium.

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Problem is that football is expensive.  Basketball is cheap.

Cheney is 20 miles from Spokane.  They're all Gonzaga basketball fans.  Wazzu football without the Pirate will be back to the bottom half of the PAC.  Yes, football is expensive but it's the ONLY thing EWU has going for it.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Cheney is 20 miles from Spokane.  They're all Gonzaga basketball fans.  Wazzu football without the Pirate will be back to the bottom half of the PAC.  Yes, football is expensive but it's the ONLY thing EWU has going for it.

Doubtful they will be able to afford football going forward, based on what people are saying here.

So, if they want college athletics, it's probably only basketball, or nothing at all.

The fun thing about basketball is that even low major schools can still make the NCAA tourney.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Doubtful they will be able to afford football going forward, based on what people are saying here.

So, if they want college athletics, it's probably only basketball, or nothing at all.

The fun thing about basketball is that even low major schools can still make the NCAA tourney.

They'll never get rid of football.  It's about the only source of pride associated with EWU.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

They'll never get rid of football.  It's about the only source of pride associated with EWU.

I wish them well.

The school probably deserves more funding then it gets.  The State of Washington should do what Utah did for USU.  Give them tax money for athletics.

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It really ticks faculty off that a dumb head football coach with a BA degree makes ten or twenty times what they do. 

In my experience what ticks them off is when the coaches try to tell the faculty what classes athletes don't have to take for their program

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Football is EWU's most successful program by far.  Probably the only one that generates revenue.  I'd say drop everything else except the womens sports for Title IX.

There is minimum number of men's sports required to remain in D1 and you need at least one for each season (fall, winter, spring).  EWU is essentially at the bare minimum of sponsored sports overall as is (12).  

This topic is going to keep coming up for more and more universities as states continue to cut funds to universities.  Some hard decisions will need to be made at a lot of schools.  

I would also like to see a report on how administration salaries and number of employees have went up as well during that time. 

You really do have to start to question for some schools if sports are worth it.  Going to a club system might be better for everyone involved.  I personally would hate to see college athletics die, but I can definitely see the argument against it.  

13 hours ago, RSF said:

Back in the day, I spent 2 years working in the Admissions office as part of work/study.  Back then, nobody who worked in the college admissions business ever admitted that sports helped the school.  Then, after 25 years of truly shitty football, we suddenly were ranked and made it to a bowl game (back when making a bowl was an accomplishment).  The next year, applications spiked 20%.  Future jumps coincided with other athletic achievements.  It's not a coincidence.  Athletics can be a great marketing tool.

Yea, I agree 100%... for schools at the FBS level. But while I lived in the Monterey area I can’t say I heard of too many people going to Cal State Monterey Bay because they couldn’t wait to pack the Kelp Bed (yes that’s what they call the basketball arena) to see the Otters take on CSU Stanislaus.

So I don’t think it’s all that crazy for a school to question exactly how much benefit they are getting out of sponsoring sports. Although with the increase in exposure for sports in general I would be surprised if there were any D1 programs, outside of maybe Chicago State, where their athletic programs were a net negative. 

13 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Why stop at colleges? Why not scrap athletics at high schools also since only a small select group participate? 

If high school sports were scrapped there would just be more AAU teams, and pop warner football would grow to include teenagers. Hardly anything to panic over.