Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Doug Gottlieb ranks Aztecs as #1 team in the country on FOX Sports

12 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

That Kawhi Leonard SDSU team was scary good. 

This year there isn't a dominant team so SDSU could go very far this March. Best Mw team ever? Not too sure about that though. 

Just for the sake of discussion, which teams would you rate as better than this year's Aztec squad? 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

5 hours ago, slappy said:

Tough to really tell how good this team is.  Likely the MW is a 1 Bid conference.  Conference play has not even come close to preparing them.  I still have a hard time seeing an elite 8 run.  Hoping for it, but just don't see it.  If they make the second week that would be great.  

Whatchu mean conference play isn't preparing SDSU?  SAN took them to the final seconds, ya know. 

7 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

during the halftime show of Baylor/Texas last night on Espn, they were saying the Aztecs are well balanced enough that they could make it to Atlanta. They were impressed not only with Malachai Flynn, but with Weltzel as well. Imagine if their other bigs were available..

Would really like to see what they are capable of with healthy bigs, could be a seriously tough out, if healthy.

3 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

If I were an Aztec fan, I would not like this cursed prediction.  There are a lot of potential #8/#9 seeds that could knock of SDSU.

This is what I was thinking when I was reading through the thread.  I've only seen SDSU play once this year and I was thoroughly impressed.  But talks of final fours and elite eights is premature.  The NCAA has a lot to do with matchups and there are tons of very dangerous teams out there.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Just for the sake of discussion, which teams would you rate as better than this year's Aztec squad? 

97-98 Utah team finished 30-4 and went to the Championship game, defeated two other #1 seeds in the tournament (one by 25 and the other by 10).  Still the WAC back then, so technically doesn't count.  

16 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

97-98 Utah team finished 30-4 and went to the Championship game, defeated two other #1 seeds in the tournament (one by 25 and the other by 10).  Still the WAC back then, so technically doesn't count.  

And there you go. Possibly the best WAC team ever, but bigas non grata when it comes to the MWC GOAT discussion. 

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Whatchu mean conference play isn't preparing SDSU?  SAN took them to the final seconds, ya know. 

Wouldn’t that be hysterical if SJSU had won and the Aztecs go on to win the NC. The Spartans would be declaring themselves CO NCs. 

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Leonard's SDSU team, Jimmer's BYU team.

Alford's core of Gordon, Kendall Williams, Snell, Kirk, Bairstow would beat this year's Aztec team at the Pit, but not sure if they would win the league.

SDSU has always had lock down defense, and now they are consistently hitting shots. I just think college basketball isn't as good as it was. 

47 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

Alford's core of Gordon, Kendall Williams, Snell, Kirk, Bairstow would beat this year's Aztec team at the Pit, but not sure if they would win the league.

SDSU has always had lock down defense, and now they are consistently hitting shots. I just think college basketball isn't as good as it was. 

Seems like a lot of parity this year.  It should be a very entertaining tournament.

1 hour ago, Lobonado said:

Add the refs to that. 

1 hour ago, Lobonado said:

Kirk, Bairstow, et al, never made it out of the second round, and deserve no mention when nominating the best MWC teams. SDSU in 2010-2011, as well as 2013-2014, and BYU's 2010-2011 teams all deserve mention tho IMO. But I think it is foolish to unequivocally state that any of those teams were better than this year's Aztec team.

And I find it a little ironic that in a year when non-P5 teams are rising above the rest of the field, the down year for trad blue blood powerhouses (e.g., UK, UNC) is equated to inferior college hoops by a mid-major. :hmmm:

4 hours ago, Lobonado said:

I just think college basketball isn't as good as it was. 

I agree.  I think the quality of play and fundamentals is lacking and has been for quite some time.  I wasn't sure if I just remember older teams with rose colored glasses or not.