Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

The Houston 100. Wow, Utah State

It's a delayed topic from football signing day almost a week ago.  I was waiting for it all to be updated, final final with some undecided ones.  Go figure.

In stunning news, Utah State lands #20 RB Gentry. Wow.   In other MWC news..

New Mexico grabbed #53, Nevada got #70, UNLV got #71, Air Force got #90,  Boise used to have a dude but lost him to Ole Miss I think.

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Where-Houston-s-Top-100-football-recruits-are-14914734.php#photo-18790758

image.png.134a75193596eef68b50ecffa32ed990.png

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

UNM going back to its roots... wanting to go back to being “Running-back” U.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Gentry is an amazing get for the Aggies. It's nice that we seem to be developing a little relationship with North Shore which is always a top notch program not only in Houston but in the country. Last year we signed Ajani Carter, the kid who caught the game winning hail marry pass in the 6A Texas state championship, out of North Shore. Safety Upton Stout was a verbal this year right up until signing day when he decided to stay home. Now landing Gentry may open some more future doors down the road with that program.

It's not often that a single high school has 2 of the top 50 RB's in the county in the same backfield but that is exactly the position North Shore found themselves in this year. The problem for Gentry was that the other guy, Zach Evans, is the #1 / #2 (depending on where you look) RB in the country. There were several articles written before signing day that speculated that had the work load been reversed between the two, that Gentry may very well have the 5 star rating next to his name. Even with how things ended up, Gentry still held offers from multiple SEC, Big 12, and PAC 12 teams so the fact that the Aggies were able to land him is quite the accomplishment. He is currently the second highest rated recruit in USU football history.

In fact, USU's 2020 class includes the #2, #4, #14, and #17 highest rated recruits in school history. Of course the ridiculous "total points" rating systems don't reflect this because the Aggie's overall signing class was relatively small which gives them less overall points and was also offset by the inclusion of kickers, punters, long snappers signed in this same class that receive 2 stars basically because of their position. The misleading rating system that currently shows USU ranked 9th in the MWC also doesn't account for the impact transfers of Keegan Duncan or Marcus Moore (both of whom would be ranked in the top 5 recruits in school history).

USU has never really been at the top of the conference recruiting rankings, yet despite that they are the third winningest team in the conference since joining. If they continue to improve their recruiting relative to their own history I can only assume it will keep them as a contender in the conference in the coming years.

19 hours ago, Coog kev said:

Boise used to have a dude but lost him to Ole Miss I think.

I think you're mistaken on that.  Boise did sign two Top 100 Texas players in Latrell Caples (#39 in DFW, #60 in Texas) and Herbert Gums (#96 in Texas - from Diboll in East Texas) as well as 2017 QB and missionary Cade Fennegan (unheralded #387 in Texas).

Maybe you're thinking of Chance Luper (#229 in Texas) who's going to play for his dad at Mizzou after decommitting from Boise.