Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyoguns

Drunk

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

I would tend to agree with you with exception for bad whiskey and old fashions.

I am a big fan of peaty scotch's and Lagavulin is my favorite. So a month or so ago a friend of mine send me this article

https://thetakeout.com/smoky-cokey-coke-scotch-whisky-soda-cocktail-drink-reci-1840735090

I was at first horrified then intrigued because the people championing this drink know their stuff. So I tried it and its actually very good. Had a lot of interesting flavors going on in it. I still prefer my scotch neat but was not upset at trying this and would have again.

I enjoy a lot of whiskey craft cocktails. It was a very black and white statement where there is, obviously, a lot of grey. I was mostly saying that if you open a can of anything... don't put it in whiskey

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice, this shit's blown up in the SDC ever since local legend OB Noddle House began mixing peanut butter and Jameson and serving it under the same name:

sk_750ml.png

And @Mano, don't knock it until you've paired it with a nice, chocolatey maduro (e.g. Montecristo media noche).

Maybe I can blend it into one of my chocolate banana peanutbutter protein shakes.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Since there are a few Lagavulin drinkers here, have any of you tried the GOT or Distillers Choice editions?

Don't drink Lagavulin near as much as I used to, as the price here locally has gotten pretty ridiculous, and I have been on more of a bourbon kick the past several years, but was wondering if either of the above would be worth purchasing.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

22 minutes ago, Mano said:

Since there are a few Lagavulin drinkers here, have any of you tried the GOT or Distillers Choice editions?

Don't drink Lagavulin near as much as I used to, as the price here locally has gotten pretty ridiculous, and I have been on more of a bourbon kick the past several years, but was wondering if either of the above would be worth purchasing.

Of the Lagavulin? Nope - couldn't reconcile paying $7 less than the price of the 16YO expression. Since you have to make a testicular sacrifice just to acquire a bottle of the 16YO there, YMMV.

I do however have an unopened bottle of the GoT Talisker sitting around awaiting my attention.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Peanut Butter?  Bill Walton's there

Idk about Psilocybill, err,  Billocybin, but former Yankee and Padres pitcher David 'Boomer' Wells (who grew up just a few minutes from OB) partnered with the owner of OB Noodle House to launch it. 

It's hellagood. I'm yet to turn anybody on to it who didn't get a shit-eating grin upon first sip. I just about destroyed a bottle Saturday night up in the mountains. My wife had to put me to bed - I don't remember much, but apparently I killed it with a Sinatra set on the lodge's karaoke machine.

BTW, if you haven't been to OB Noodle House, you really should. It's jumped the shark, but still is worth the occasional trip to OB - great pho and a killer microbrew menu.

33 minutes ago, Mano said:

I had a bottle of the Lagavulin GOT. It was good. I didn't have a bottle of 16 to directly compare. I didn't really notice a major difference.

39 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I enjoy a lot of whiskey craft cocktails. It was a very black and white statement where there is, obviously, a lot of grey. I was mostly saying that if you open a can of anything... don't put it in whiskey

Yeah I just piggy backed off your comment to talk about the interesting cocktail I tried.

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Yeah, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until your testicles drop before you're man enough to handle an Islay.

I find that people like to say they drink Lagavulin because it conjures an image of someone who knows shit about scotch.  It's a very particular flavor that is OK once in a while, but for breakfast drinking everyone knows a highland like Oban is more suited to the refined palate. 

5 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

I find that people like to say they drink Lagavulin because it conjures an image of someone who knows shit about scotch.  It's a very particular flavor that is OK once in a while, but for breakfast drinking everyone knows a highland like Oban is more suited to the refined palate. 

That's funny, because that's kind of how I view Oban. It's like a beginner's first upgrade scotch IMO - I find it insipid compared to most decent Speysides. Give me any of Balvenie's offerings, most Macallan expressions, Aberlour's 16YO, Highland Park* (12 or 18), or my non-chill filtered Glencaddam 21, all of which have far more complexity and a higher degree of refinement than the Oban.

And the Lagavulin 16 is a fairly standard Islay profile. So I'm not sure what you mean by "particular flavor," since that peaty, smokey, iodine profile could be used to describe most Islays. :shrug:  Go to any whisky site and the number of unfavorable reviews of Lagavulin 16 is like a hermaphrodite's penis - real small and doesn't belong there in the first place.

*Not a Speyside

19 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Try drinking some Laphroaig 10, and the peat in the Lagavulin will seem quite tame in comparison.

I enjoy Oban, but I also like Islay's such as Lagavulin, Bowmore and Ardbeg.

But to each their own, drink what you enjoy how you enjoy it, and f anyone telling you that you're doing it wrong 

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

Fuk Lagavulin.  

6 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

That's funny, because that's how I view Oban. It's like a beginner's first upgrade scotch IMO - I find it insipid compared to most decent Speysides. Give me any of Balvenie's offerings, most Macallan expressions, Aberlour's 16YO, Highland Park (12 or 18), or my non-chill filtered Glencaddam 21, all of which have far more complexity and a higher degree of refinement than the Oban.

And the Lagavulin 16 a fairly standard Islay profile. So I'm not sure what you mean by "particular flavor," since that peaty, smokey, iodine profile could be used to describe most Islays. :shrug:  Go to any whisky site and the number of unfavorable reviews of Lagavulin 16 is like a hermaphrodite's penis - real small and doesn't belong there in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Mano said:

Try drinking some Laphroaig 10, and the peat in the Lagavulin will seem quite tame in comparison.

But to each their own, drink what you enjoy how you enjoy it, and f anyone telling you that you're doing it wrong 

Scotch sucks.

Taste like someone used my bourbon for an ash tray.

38 minutes ago, Mano said:

I picked up a bottle of Alexander Murray-bottled Bunnahabhain 26. 

I really wanted to enjoy it, but it was just too aggressive... I had to concentrate like a f*cking Jedi just to keep it on the front of my palette, else it would sucker punch my mouth parts and leave me feeling like my mouth was getting dragged across jagged, briny rocks on a stormy Scottish shore by a drunken Willie from the Simpsons.

23 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Scotch sucks.

Taste like someone used my bourbon for an ash tray.

I would think I'd skew towards bourbon what with my sweet tooth and all, but give me a port or sherry bomb scotch all day. 

I don't think I've had a bourbon that's as nice of a bourbon as the nicer scotches I've had - maybe my perspective would change if I did. The only bourbons in my cabinet right now are a couple remaining pours of my Blanton's, a bottle of single-barrel Four Roses, a bottle of Amador (KY bourbon finished in cab casks), and a bottle of Eagle Rare 10YO.

There's a couple places in town where I can try Pappy's, but at $40 a pour, that's not going to happen - there's just no way I will get $40 of enjoyment out of a single pour of whiskey (unless it was served by a stripper and came with a happy ending).

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I would think I'd skew towards bourbon what with my sweet tooth and all, but give me a port or sherry bomb scotch all day. 

I don't think I've had a bourbon that's as nice of a bourbon as the nicer scotches I've had - maybe my perspective would change if I did. The only bourbons in my cabinet right now are a couple remaining pours of my Blanton's, a bottle of single-barrel Four Roses, a bottle of Amador (KY bourbon finished in cab casks), and a bottle of Eagle Rare 10YO.

There's a couple places in town where I can try Pappy's, but at $40 a pour, that's not going to happen - there's just no way I will get $40 of enjoyment out of a single pour of whiskey (unless it was served by a stripper and came with a happy ending).

Yeah, I know we've had this discussion on the OT board.

Did anyone like Scotch at first sip? Maybe some do but I believe it's an acquired taste. I've given it a try a several occasions, drinking good stuff with friends who really enjoy it. Just didn't take so I leave it to them and sip whiskey, Canadian, Tennessee, or Bourbon, instead.

15 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yeah, I know we've had this discussion on the OT board.

Did anyone like Scotch at first sip? Maybe some do but I believe it's an acquired taste. I've given it a try a several occasions, drinking good stuff with friends who really enjoy it. Just didn't take so I leave it to them and sip whiskey, Canadian, Tennessee, or Bourbon, instead.

I'm sure we've covered it... and I think I said something to the effect of I had to drink shitton of it before I enjoyed so much as a sip. IMO tho, most good things in life are an acquired taste.