Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

NCAA Selection Committee Top 16 Show

5 minutes ago, brillio said:

Impressive.  That’s some good respect from the east coast bias network 

Is it though? The Aztecs are deserving of a 1-seed by an overwhelming number of metrics. The question is, are you showing them more respect by shipping them off across the freakin' continent for the regionals, or by putting them on the opposite side of the West bracket as a 2-seed?

Seems the latter is more favorable to the Aztecs IMO... no one hangs banners for being a 1-seed. :shrug:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I think it’s a slap in the face. Do you think they would ever send Duke across the country to the west coast as a one seed? In the past one seeds almost always remain in their regions. 

This reminds me of Boise States last trip to the NCAA tournament when they sent the Broncos to Dayton the site of play in games to play you guessed it Dayton. To the Broncos credit they lost at the buzzer to the Flyers who beat their next two opponents. 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Live right now on CBS... SC has Aztecs going to NYC as the #1 seed in the East.

Feels odd getting slighted with a 1-seed, but f*ck that... So much for being "regionally protected." :huh:

You're only "protected" from a regional disadvantage in the first two rounds. SDSU will start the tourney in Sacramento regardless which region they are placed.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

22 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I think it’s a slap in the face. Do you think they would ever send Duke across the country to the west coast as a one seed? In the past one seeds almost always remain in their regions. 

This reminds me of Boise States last trip to the NCAA tournament when they sent the Broncos to Dayton the site of play in games to play you guessed it Dayton. To the Broncos credit they lost at the buzzer to the Flyers who beat their next two opponents. 

Duke was sent to the West Region (Los Angeles) as a 1 Seed in 2011 by the way and there are plenty of other examples of teams being sent far outside their region as 1 Seeds. In 2018 Xavier was sent to the West (Los Angeles) as a 1 Seed as well as Wisconsin in 2015 (Los Angeles). Michigan State in 2012 (Phoenix) and Syracuse in 2010 (Salt Lake City).

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Live right now on CBS... SC has Aztecs going to NYC as the #1 seed in the East.

Feels odd getting slighted with a 1-seed, but f*ck that... So much for being "regionally protected." :huh:

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

If I'm SDSU I'd rather have the #2 seed in the West than the #1 seed in the East but that's me. 

I think it depends on where the 1st and 2nd round games are played for the "east" regional. I haven't been able to find location info for each region.

I mean all the locations are known but the way how about the way "pods" are split? Is this something that's determined on selection Sunday?

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I think it depends on where the 1st and 2nd round games are played for the "east" regional. I haven't been able to find location info for each region.

I mean all the locations are known but the way how about the way "pods" are split? Is this something that's determined on selection Sunday?

Remember the NCAA has used the "pod system" since 2002 allowing the top seeds to be placed as close to their home sites for the first two rounds as possible. As an example SDSU will most certainly be placed in Sacramento for the first two rounds regardless which "region" they are placed.

Below is the list of sites for this year's tournament.

DATES ROUND CITY, STATE HOST(S) FACILITY
March 15 Selection Sunday N/A N/A N/A
March 17-18 First Four Dayton, OH University of Dayton UD Arena
March 19/21 1st/2nd Rounds Albany, NY Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Times Union Center
March 19/21 1st/2nd Rounds Spokane, WA University of Idaho Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena
March 19/21 1st/2nd Rounds St. Louis, MO Missouri Valley Conference Enterprise Center
March 19/21 1st/2nd Rounds Tampa, FL University of South Florida Amalie Arena
March 20/22 1st/2nd Rounds Greensboro, NC Atlantic Coast Conference Greensboro Coliseum
March 20/22 1st/2nd Rounds Omaha, NE Creighton University CenturyLink Center Omaha
March 20/22 1st/2nd Rounds Sacramento, CA Sacramento State University Golden 1 Center
March 20/22 1st/2nd Rounds Cleveland, OH Mid-American Conference/Cleveland State Quicken Loans Arena
March 26/28 Midwest Regional Indianapolis, IN Horizon League/IUPUI Lucas Oil Stadium
March 26/28 West Regional Los Angeles, CA Pepperdine University STAPLES Center
March 27/29 South Regional Houston, TX University of Houston Toyota Center
March 27/29 East Regional New York, NY St. John’s University/Big East Conference Madison Square Garden
April 4/6 Final Four Atlanta, GA Georgia Institute of Technology Mercedes-Benz Stadium

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yeah. The actual locations of the pods aren't known until Selection Sunday. But regardless, you'd have to expect a highly seeded (1 or 2) Aztecs team ending up in Sacramento regardless of what region they get sent to. Spokane is a possibility too, I guess, but with that site being "hosted" by the Vandals, I'd guess Gonzaga would be able to (and want to if at all possible) play in that one. 

Just now, albert mac meda said:

Remember the NCAA has used the "pod system" since 2002 allowing the top seeds to be placed as close to their home sites for the first two rounds as possible.

Below is the list of sites for this year's tournament.

DATES ROUND CITY, STATE HOST(S) FACILITY
March 15 Selection Sunday N/A N/A N/A
March 17-18 First Four Dayton, OH University of Dayton UD Arena
March 19/21 1st/2nd Rounds Albany, NY Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Times Union Center
March 19/21 1st/2nd Rounds Spokane, WA University of Idaho Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena
March 19/21 1st/2nd Rounds St. Louis, MO Missouri Valley Conference Enterprise Center
March 19/21 1st/2nd Rounds Tampa, FL University of South Florida Amalie Arena
March 20/22 1st/2nd Rounds Greensboro, NC Atlantic Coast Conference Greensboro Coliseum
March 20/22 1st/2nd Rounds Omaha, NE Creighton University CenturyLink Center Omaha
March 20/22 1st/2nd Rounds Sacramento, CA Sacramento State University Golden 1 Center
March 20/22 1st/2nd Rounds Cleveland, OH Mid-American Conference/Cleveland State Quicken Loans Arena
March 26/28 Midwest Regional Indianapolis, IN Horizon League/IUPUI Lucas Oil Stadium
March 26/28 West Regional Los Angeles, CA Pepperdine University STAPLES Center
March 27/29 South Regional Houston, TX University of Houston Toyota Center
March 27/29 East Regional New York, NY St. John’s University/Big East Conference Madison Square Garden
April 4/6 Final Four Atlanta, GA Georgia Institute of Technology Mercedes-Benz Stadium

Yes, I found this ^^^ but it doesn't say which "region" is represented at each site. Team from the "east" could play the first two rounds in Sacramento.

I wonder when this is determined. I'm thinking it's part of the whole Sunday process.

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah. The actual locations of the pods aren't known until Selection Sunday. But regardless, you'd have to expect a highly seeded (1 or 2) Aztecs team ending up in Sacramento regardless of what region they get sent to. Spokane is a possibility too, I guess, but with that site being "hosted" by the Vandals, I'd guess Gonzaga would be able to (and want to if at all possible) play in that one. 

And I know that 1-4 seeds are supposed to be "protected" but for how many rounds? 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Yes, I found this ^^^ but it doesn't say which "region" is represented at each site. Team from the "east" could play the first two rounds in Sacramento.

I wonder when this is determined. I'm thinking it's part of the whole Sunday process.

Again, REGIONS don't necessarily matter with regard to pods. The top 16 teams are placed, REGARDLESS OF REGION, as close as possible to their home location.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

And I know that 1-4 seeds are supposed to be "protected" but for how many rounds? 

The first two rounds. Beyond that there are other factors in seeding with regard to conference affiliation but the idea is that the top 4 seeds are protected from playing another team with a "regional advantage" in the first two rounds. After that you advance to your regional site for the Sweet 16/Elite 8 then on to the Final Four site.

3 minutes ago, albert mac meda said:

Again, REGIONS don't necessarily matter with regard to pods. The top 16 teams are placed, REGARDLESS OF REGION, as close as possible to their home location.

Right, I understand. I just wasn't clear on when the "pod" placement was done.

19 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Okay, then SDSU should be in good shape regardless of whichever "region" they're placed.

Yes, the Aztecs will start the tourney in Sacramento. Likewise Gonzaga will start in Spokane, Kansas most likely in St. Louis, Baylor very likley in Omaha and so on.

Here is my guess where the Top 16 (as of now) will start the tourney:

1. Baylor (Omaha)

2. Kansas (St. Louis)

3. Gonzaga (Spokane)

4. SDSU (Sacramento)

5. Duke (Greensboro)

6. Dayton (Cleveland)

7. Louisville (St. Louis)

8. West Virginia (Cleveland)

9. Maryland (Albany)

10. Florida State (Tampa)

11. Seton Hall (Albany)