Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mano

Recruiting ranking relative to baseline

https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/2/6/21125807/recruiting-history-average-rankings-college-football

Interesting article about each teams recruiting relative to their historical average.

Here are how MWC teams did:

In 2020, which teams most exceeded (or failed to meet) their typical class ranking standards?

School Recruiting Baseline* 2020 ranking Difference (big is good, - is bad)

San Diego State 69.20 109 -39.80
Fresno State 82.63 120 -37.38
Hawaii 89.63 126 -36.38
Nevada 91.25 123 -31.75
San Jose State 88.13 115 -26.87
Colorado State 77.80 101 -23.20
New Mexico 95.47 118 -22.53
Utah State 97.75 116 -18.25
Wyoming 99.75 112 -12.25
Boise State 67.29 65 2.29
Air Force 112.76 105 7.76
UNLV 94.00 75 19.00

*: Average 2002-2020 class ranking, minus select years. Bold/italics: Team has new 2020 head coach. 247Sports Composite data

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Most rankings are relative as it is depending on how many player sign.  Teams have different amount of scholarships available.  UNLV signed around 26 players while others signed around18.   I prefer to look at the average ranking of players signed, and not there total score.

Aztecs only signed 18 because they only had fifteen seniors and a couple of early exits.

Lets talk about this group in '23 or '24. It makes more sense to see how the 2014 and 2015 classes panned out.

Its about how you coach em up more so than some mythical rating system designed to placate fans who have no life outside of how well their team is doing.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Also from that article:

NSDMAP2.jpg

Looks like Wyoming and Boise were the Only MWC teams that were able to hold their own states in recruiting, although UNLV owns Alaska.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

6 hours ago, Mano said:

Also from that article:

NSDMAP2.jpg

Looks like Wyoming and Boise were the Only MWC teams that were able to hold their own states in recruiting, although UNLV owns Alaska.

Boise lost the two best recruits in their state.

18 hours ago, Fowl said:

Boise lost the two best recruits in their state.

Don't know the methodology for the map, just sharing stuff I thought you guys may find interesting during football offseason.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

On 2/6/2020 at 12:56 PM, Aztec Since 88 said:

Most rankings are relative as it is depending on how many player sign.  Teams have different amount of scholarships available.  UNLV signed around 26 players while others signed around18.   I prefer to look at the average ranking of players signed, and not there total score.

Yes. This guy might be a statistician of sorts but his study is garbage in, garbage out.

Kirk used 247's points, correct? As such, it appears SDSU had a bad year. But what if he had instead used average ranking per player? In that case, SDSU had the second best class in the conference behind Boise. Or if he had used average player rankings by Rivals, SDSU had the best class in the conference: https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2020/mwest/football

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 2/6/2020 at 3:55 PM, Mano said:

Also from that article:

NSDMAP2.jpg

Sucks hard that SDSU couldn't manage to get the best players in its own state.

You know, like USC managed to do. Oh wait . . . .

Or like ASU managed to do. Oh wait . . .

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:55 PM, Mano said:

Also from that article:

NSDMAP2.jpg

This map is of who signed the top recruit in the state.